music

I’ve just been listening to Rod Stewart, ‘first cut is the deepest’ on YouTube.

Brother Andy has photos of the cut away from Riyadh, heading for Jeddah, which I’ll find and put on here. That scene is forever associated in my mind with this song. My first marriage was in trouble at this point and his song was especially poignant for me.

Music from the sixties and seventies bring places and people to mind!

Sugar Sugar! Ah driving back to Scotland on the A74, 1969, hearing this as the Allison’s Freightlines headed south!

Making a huge mistake one Saturday morning back to Barrow from the North East. Problem at Scotch Corner, so went further South and across to Sedbergh on the 684.

Took forever! But a friend had loaned me a George Harrison tape - All things must pass.

By the time I got back to Barrow, I knew it off by heart!

Happy days!

We went to France on honeymoon in 1980 in my 6yr old V12 Daimler. It had an 8 track in it and the only cartridge I had was “Best of the BeeGees”.
I flung it off the side of the ferry on the way home. Jim.

jmc jnr:
We went to France on honeymoon in 1980 in my 6yr old V12 Daimler. It had an 8 track in it and the only cartridge I had was “Best of the BeeGees”.
I flung it off the side of the ferry on the way home. Jim.

I’ll bet the old Daimler didn’t float. I take it you kept the tape. :laughing: Robert

There have been times when it was herself should have gone in the drink Robert, but after 35 years, I wish I’ d kept the head and saved the tape. The Daimler went to a local farmer who could afford to run it and the missus is still in charge, peeling the tatties as I post. Music-wise, I’m a lost cause. The only music I cannot stand is that stuff that Chleo Laine used to warble - Skat? Jim.

Smokey Robinson Tears of a Clown and Christie Yellow River takes me back to my first road trip on the continent when I was 11.With the brilliant sounding old HMV valve car radio fitted in my dad’s car tuned to Radio Luxembourg heading down to the South of France and the shock of being over taken by those French Berliet drawbar outfits.Having until then only known a land that was still mostly dominated by Gardner powered heaps in the day. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Coincidentally the topic has made me recheck the supposed release date of Tears of a Clown that year.Being that from memory it couldn’t have been later than August but all the info says September.However a check of the uk charts in the day confirms it being at 25 in early August as I remembered it. :confused:

I also think that George Harrison was a better musician than Lennon or McCartney.Especially in the case of What is Life.As for Rod Stewart Broken Dream is about as good as his records got.

While coincidentally @ Robert.I still enjoy the continental road trips with of all things a well modified old school XJ12 with a 6 litre motor and a 5 speed manual box and which still has it’s old radio cassette unit that can play all my old cassette library and that’s worth every pound spent on it’s 15 mpg fuel consumption and not inconsiderable maintenance budget. :smiling_imp: :wink: :smiley:

My old man bought “Only the lonely” by Roy Orbison on 45rpm single. A few weeks later I went with him in his AEC Mercury with a load of fish to Grimsby, but were snowed in and spent 3 days in the school house in Brough. He had been bursting into song all the way down, and when a Charlie Alexander crew started to sing, egged on by a bunch of Monroes drivers, who thought their Kenneth Mckeller ditties were best, he did his big O impression and carried the night. One of Wm. Taylors had a load of Bells on the back and the Polis guarding it and the 25 or so drivers and locals got blootered. Cannot hear that song without a big smile. Jim.

John West:
I’ve just been listening to Rod Stewart, ‘first cut is the deepest’ on YouTube.

Brother Andy has photos of the cut away from Riyadh, heading for Jeddah, which I’ll find and put on here. That scene is forever associated in my mind with this song.

Got Andy to send me this - He’s stitched 2 photos together of Andy Sindstat’s Merc going down the far side into the valley. This would be about 1979.

John