Music festivals

Do you go to them, which 1 is your favourite, & are there any you’ve not done yet but want to?

I’ve done a few over the years, I was a dance music promoter for 5 years & my summers used to be spent planning which festivals to attend.

My favourite was Nature One in Germany, a 4 day festival similar to Glastonbury, but it’s DJ’s rather than bands. The 1 festival I’d love to do but haven’t is Tomorrowland in Belgium, tickets sell out in under an hour, I’ve tried & failed in the past, thinking of giving it a go again next year.

Betty Swallox:
Do you go to them, which 1 is your favourite, & are there any you’ve not done yet but want to?

I’ve done a few over the years, I was a dance music promoter for 5 years & my summers used to be spent planning which festivals to attend.

My favourite was Nature One in Germany, a 4 day festival similar to Glastonbury, but it’s DJ’s rather than bands. The 1 festival I’d love to do but haven’t is Tomorrowland in Belgium, tickets sell out in under an hour, I’ve tried & failed in the past, thinking of giving it a go again next year.

Went to Rock Am ring in the Nurburgring 7 years ago brilliant a line up as good as anything in the UK and only £75 for the three days. Was cheaper for me n the woman to go out there which included two flights each than go to Glastonbury plus the beer was cheaper n nicer

Betty Swallox:

I’m into my trance and hard dance from the late 90s to early 00s so used to go to Creamfields and Godskitchen and Gatecrasher Summer Sound System from 98 upto 05 and went to the Love Parade in Leeds in 2002. Was great times and great music which I will never forget. I feel the new dance music scene is ■■■■■ with the EDM,Bassline etc not a patch on the Trance and Hard Dance from times gone by.
I would love to go to Glastonbury and V Festival at Leeds sometime in the future. I’ve seen the likes of Kings Of Leon, Kasabian, The Enemy, Oasis, Beady Eye, Noel Gallagher, Shed Seven, Bad Manners, The Stone Roses and The Rolling Stones live(saw the stones other week down Hyde Park)
Going to see Jake Bugg in November and one band I want to see is Ocean Colour Scene. One band I wish I could have seen live would be Dire Straits.

done leeds a few times and V once, preferred V, but leeds was mint too. i’ve been to quite a few forestry gigs and always camped over. i delivered to T in the park once, but i was a week early for the festival, so doesn’t really count :laughing: :laughing:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
and one band I want to see is Ocean Colour Scene.

They are playing Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh in December.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
went to the Love Parade in Leeds in 2002.

Too many pills mate, that was 2000 :grimacing:

I was there too, spent most of it at the Trade tent listening to Hard House. Went on to Sundissential at Club Uropa after. Some of my mates went to Gatecrasher but I’d gone off Trance a bit by then. Gone full circle now though and only really listen to Trance, don’t bother with much Hard House these days.

And yeah, Trance ain’t what it used to be. Most of the big artists sold out to EDM :unamused:

Been a regular at Reading for the past 4 years, going to Coachella next year which will be an experience of a lifetime.
Done loads of mini ones, festivals are brilliant, it’s like the world outside the festival doesn’t exist for 4 days, awesome.

Terry T:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
went to the Love Parade in Leeds in 2002.

Too many pills mate, that was 2000 :grimacing:

I was there too, spent most of it at the Trade tent listening to Hard House. Went on to Sundissential at Club Uropa after. Some of my mates went to Gatecrasher but I’d gone off Trance a bit by then. Gone full circle now though and only really listen to Trance, don’t bother with much Hard House these days.

And yeah, Trance ain’t what it used to be. Most of the big artists sold out to EDM :unamused:

Pills… What’s them■■? :wink: ! :grimacing: yeah it was. I got the year mixed up as I went to Kavos the same year and again in 2002 so thought it was then. The walk down to the bus station was a killer when your head was somewhere else :laughing: was there a Slinky float there?? Trying to remember what clubs had floats there. Remember Judge Jules dropping Zombie Nation early in his set and it went off big time :smiley:
Actually saw a couple shagging on the grass verge at the side of the road and a kid getting pushed down the road in a shopping trolley and going arse over ■■■ when it hit the kerb :laughing: messy but good times.

Colingl:
[quote=“SteveBarnsleytrucker”
and one band I want to see is Ocean Colour Scene.

They are playing Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh in December.
[/quote]
They playing near the gods county of Yorkshire any time mate?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Pills… What’s them■■? :wink: ! :grimacing: yeah it was. I got the year mixed up as I went to Kavos the same year and again in 2002 so thought it was then. The walk down to the bus station was a killer when your head was somewhere else :laughing: was there a Slinky float there?? Trying to remember what clubs had floats there. Remember Judge Jules dropping Zombie Nation early in his set and it went off big time :smiley:
Actually saw a couple shagging on the grass verge at the side of the road and a kid getting pushed down the road in a shopping trolley and going arse over ■■■ when it hit the kerb :laughing: messy but good times.

Yeah there was a Slinky float. 2Klub. Really can’t remember tbh.

And yeah, public transport is shocking after a heavy night. Used to go home on the midland metro after Godskitchen all nighters and it felt surreal :grimacing:

I think everyone saw something shocking at the Love Parade. I saw a bloke just flop his ■■■■ out in the middle of the crowd and ■■■■ like a fountain :open_mouth:

Was a cracking event for nowt. Shame they didn’t do anymore. It was on the same day as the Berlin Love Parade if in not mistaken. Still listen to my old Trance and Hard Dance CDs but I’m more into my rock and indie stuff now. Oh and a bit of Max Richter and Hans Zimmer :smiley:

been to boomtown but never again as its full of k heads

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Betty Swallox:

I’m into my trance and hard dance from the late 90s to early 00s so used to go to Creamfields and Godskitchen and Gatecrasher Summer Sound System from 98 upto 05 and went to the Love Parade in Leeds in 2002. Was great times and great music which I will never forget. I feel the new dance music scene is [zb] with the EDM,Bassline etc not a patch on the Trance and Hard Dance from times gone by.
I would love to go to Glastonbury and V Festival at Leeds sometime in the future. I’ve seen the likes of Kings Of Leon, Kasabian, The Enemy, Oasis, Beady Eye, Noel Gallagher, Shed Seven, Bad Manners, The Stone Roses and The Rolling Stones live(saw the stones other week down Hyde Park)
Going to see Jake Bugg in November and one band I want to see is Ocean Colour Scene. One band I wish I could have seen live would be Dire Straits.

I’m into my trance as well, I worked for Godskitchen (Angel Music Group) for 5 years, managed to do 8 Globals altogether, good times. Did Creamfields in 03, a good festival but too many gangs of hoodies ready to steam into anyone who looked at them the wrong way.

Only problem with UK festivals is they’re over priced I find, my 1st Nature One cost 65euro’s for festival ticket & 15euro for 4 days camping, they had Tiesto, PvD, Ferry, & Armin on main stage plus another 250+ other DJ’s, same year Gods were charging £125 for a weekend ticket to Global, & the line-up was nothing special.

I know what you mean about price. First festival I did was Gatecrasher @ Lotherton Hall in 1999 before they renamed it Summer Sound System. £30 it was. They charge nearly that into some clubs these days, it’s a joke.

Oakenfold did one of the best Essential Mixes ever that night too, check it out if you’re into old Trance.

Terry T:
I know what you mean about price. First festival I did was Gatecrasher @ Lotherton Hall in 1999 before they renamed it Summer Sound System. £30 it was. They charge nearly that into some clubs these days, it’s a joke.

Oakenfold did one of the best Essential Mixes ever that night too, check it out if you’re into old Trance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35iQkCe0hI

Love Oakenfold, that EM was part of a series from different places around the world if I remember correctly. Think there were 12 of them.

Gonna give that EM another listen now, cheers for the link.

I’ve put a few up on my twitter page. YouTube is the best place for us who want to go back to the days of glow sticks, crasherkids, Mitsubishis, after parties and the cry of “wooop,wooop” between every breakdown and bring a tear to our eyes :frowning: :smiley:

After parties were always at my house. Parents away a lot + deaf neighbour = mayhem :grimacing:

So glad they never came home early and found me K-Holed in the garden :open_mouth:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
I’ve put a few up on my twitter page. YouTube is the best place for us who want to go back to the days of glow sticks, crasherkids, Mitsubishis, after parties and the cry of “wooop,wooop” between every breakdown and bring a tear to our eyes :frowning: :smiley:

Haha, yeah, the Crasher kids was big for a while, wasn’t for me though, i did once bleach my hair white for Global though :stuck_out_tongue: & they don’t do Mitzi’s like they used to :frowning:

My wooop wooops were always accompanied with a hand in the air & a finger pointing skywards :smiley:

Have been into the free party scene since about 91, anyone remember spiral tribe, circus warp, bedlam? Me and a few mates own 19k of void looney bins and turbosound tops, here’s a pic of a Teknival we did in France in may. All our stuffs on the right hand side and again at night when Vandall was playing

In terms of festivals were off to the green gathering for the day tomorrow, then boomtown next weekend, it’s one of my best mates festival so don’t cost nothing :slight_smile: and has a good lineup then off to beautiful days in Devon the following weekend which is a festival put on by the levellers and has some really good headlining acts - Imelda may, the selecta, arrested development, the wonder stuff to name just a few. After that don’t know, see what comes along.

Betty Swallox:
& they don’t do Mitzi’s like they used to :frowning:

Good job. Imagine popping 20 of them over a weekend then rocking up to work to drive a truck at 4am on a Monday morning :open_mouth: :grimacing: