Multimanning

Hi I’m in need of a little help.

I’ve searched the forum and the Internet to no avail.

I am currently a passenger in an artic cab with a driver new to arctics. We both put our cards in at 5am this morning. His in slot 1 and mine in slot 2. The intention was for him to drive all day and me only take over if he was having difficultys. He has had no difficultys. However we have hit loads of bad traffic and will not make it back to base before our 15 hour duty time expires. Whenever his card has been on break so has mine. Firstly I am fairly sure that I can take over driving when his 10 driving hours run out and it will be classed as multi manning. I would like confirmation though. (I have never multi-manned) Secondly the likelihood is that if we dont hit any more traffic we will be back at the yard before his driving time runs out but after our 15 hours has run out.

I understand that you are exempt from the 15 hour rule when Multimanning. Do I have to have driven for it to count as Multimanning? Or can he drive all the way back exempt from the 15 hour rule?

Rog or Tachograph will be along shortly.
You used to be able to do 20 hrs between you by a bit of juggling , Nowadays I have no idea.

I assume you are still wanting

transportsfriend.org/hours/rest.html

this is a good site and would answer a lot of the questions asked on here

hardyd44:
I assume you are still wanting

transportsfriend.org/hours/rest.html

this is a good site and would answer a lot of the questions asked on here

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I have already been on that site but am still none the wiser to my question.

When multi manning you have in effect a 30 hour working day.
The idea being you can virtually keep the vehicle moving for 20 hours with brief stops.
0500 Driver 1 starts, driver 2 POA
09.30 stop and Swop cards/seats. Driver 1 is POA but first 45 mins count as break/rest
14.00 swop over Driver 1 driving
18.30 swop over Driver 2 driving.
23.00 Swop over Driver 1 drive
00.00 swop over Driver 2
01.00 Vehicle stop for 9 hours Daily rest.
10.00 Start all over again.

Simply share the driving and save the grief

once he has done 10 hours driving, he cant drive anymore, but you can until you reach a 20 hour “spreadover”, best thing is for you to take over after 9 hours driving he can record a break and drive for 1 more hour after that if needs be, but I think it would be safest for you to complete the drive back.

Sure Rog will correct me if I am wrong

Harvy:
Hi I’m in need of a little help.

I’ve searched the forum and the Internet to no avail.

I am currently a passenger in an artic cab with a driver new to arctics. We both put our cards in at 5am this morning. His in slot 1 and mine in slot 2. The intention was for him to drive all day and me only take over if he was having difficultys. He has had no difficultys. However we have hit loads of bad traffic and will not make it back to base before our 15 hour duty time expires. Whenever his card has been on break so has mine. Firstly I am fairly sure that I can take over driving when his 10 driving hours run out and it will be classed as multi manning. I would like confirmation though. (I have never multi-manned) Secondly the likelihood is that if we dont hit any more traffic we will be back at the yard before his driving time runs out but after our 15 hours has run out.

I understand that you are exempt from the 15 hour rule when Multimanning. Do I have to have driven for it to count as Multimanning? Or can he drive all the way back exempt from the 15 hour rule?

When multi-manning you must have a daily rest period of at-least nine hours within 30 hours from the start of the shift, this means that your spread-over can be up-to 21 hours from the start to the end of the shift.

If you both have an extended driving day available you can drive for 10 hours each.

To take advantage of the multi-manning daily rest concession the second driver must have joined the first driver within one hour from the start of the first drivers shift.

To put it another way, crack on you’re fine :smiley: :wink:

edit: As long as both your cards have been in the tachograph all day it doesn’t matter whether you both drive or just one of you does all the driving, it’s still multi-manning either way.

You have both got until 2am before you must take your daily rest

After 9 hours daily rest you can start again
9 hours daily rest on MM = full daily rest - it is not a reduced daily rest

Thanks tacograph and rog.

That’s what I needed to hear!