Multi-tasking Truckers!

A trial using the police trucks on some of Britain’s busiest motorways has uncovered “frightening” examples of HGV drivers watching DVDs, using laptop computers and playing video games.
The worst case saw one commercial trucker warming up food on a stove in his cab, police said.

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … iving.html

one using laptop as a sat nav system

So why is this illegal then? having a tiny tomtom screen some drivers might have to strain to see is fine, but a nice big screen with moving map is illegal and newsworthy?

Alex

Nobody was caught reading newspaper/mag/book? Cann’t believe it…

super pc angus nairn wanting more praise for that truck, does the man have a confidence issue or something.

also anyone who says they havnt done anything while driving is lying, eg sending a txt or what not. hell ive boiled a kettle in a truck on a gas stove (though i was in the passenger seat)

if you have a laptop as a tom tom you must be very short sighted because tom toms arnt that difficult to see , surely.

There are one or two little things which might help in identifying this vehicle… :wink:

Harry Monk:
There are one or two little things which might help in identifying this vehicle… :wink:

if ya read this months commercial motor there is now a new style scania TOPLINE (WTF) in police colours :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
why is a topline cab needed??

Harry Monk:

they are also unmarked, these were only press shots

phantom309:

so Aberdeen Angus can store his head.

phantom309:

Harry Monk:

if ya read this months commercial motor there is now a new style scania TOPLINE (WTF) in police colours :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

cause angus nairn wanted one and what angus nairn wants angus nairn gets

geddit?

I can’t understand what the problem is with this, anyone with an open laptop in the screen or cooking Nasi Goreng at 56mph is a danger to other road users.

Yes we have all sent a text message or answered a mobile, even with hands free, and concentration goes, you end up driving slower, or miss a gear or simply run up the arse of another truck and close the motorway for 6 hours.

If you don’t notice there is an unmarked solo tractor unit overtaking you with a passenger pointing a video camera at you, maybe you need to look at your own actions. Brit Pete posted a thread about the BAG and they are much more sneaky than PC Nairn

Why didnt the b******s :imp: :imp: use funds spent on this to combat overnight truck theft, instead of using “road safety” as a guise for another revenue raising excercise. Or have I just answered my own question :question: :question:

Everyone is guilty of doing something we really shouldn’t in the cab…changing radio station, looking at the tidy bird going past in lane 2 etc etc…2 months ago I was nearly involved in a nasty accident on the M25 between the M3 and M4 junctions… A Lithuanian class one was stonking past me (doing well over 56mph) and as he came along side he came sharply over into lane one right where I was…The only action I could take was s#?t myself and take to part of the hard shoulder and avoid him joining me in the drivers seat…Slamming on my brakes to aviod the barriers heading my way I noted the ■■■■ was watching a film on his laptop which was sat ontop of the dash…to say I was an unhappy bunny would be the understatement of the year…I did get his number and reported it to my transport manager but nothing ever came of it except a trip to the shops for a new pair of undies…and if I were a cat I think one of my 9 lives had just been well and truely used

Almost every week without fail I see some kind of accident on the M25 involving an artic and another or in most cases a car…u can guess which normally comes off the better of the two so something is needed to stop this…any better ideas folks■■?

Happy Haulin n stay safe

Jacko :slight_smile:

Scania380:
Everyone is guilty of doing something we really shouldn’t in the cab…changing radio station, looking at the tidy bird going past in lane 2

It’s not the ‘doing something’ that is a safety or legal problem - it’s the doing something’ at an inapropriate time that is the issue

ROG:

Scania380:
Everyone is guilty of doing something we really shouldn’t in the cab…changing radio station, looking at the tidy bird going past in lane 2

It’s not the ‘doing something’ that is a safety or legal problem - it’s the doing something’ at an inapropriate time that is the issue

You are right mate, setting aside the cooking your tea, txting, and watching a dvd etc, why is it wrong or become illegal to steer with one hand now and again, (Im waiting for the tirade from the self righteous among us )do you have to stop at the next services when you want to turn the radio up for instance,how many drivers are humanly capable of 9hrs of total 100% concentration, eyes front, hands set at txt book 10to2 position,. And if you get done for it can you own up to 5cases of picking your nose and 2 of scratching your arse to get a lighter sentence. Sh** an accidents will always happen until the day we are all replaced by robots.(No Offence to any Stobart drivers :smiley: :smiley: )

I think this is a great idea, the standard of hgv drivers has been declining over the years to the point where we are no longer seen as knights of the road but a bunch of rough road rage asbo scum and I for one am fed up to the back teeth of all these so called professional drivers texting, ■■■■■■■ cooking etc etc. I don’t want to be tarred with the same brush so the more “professional” drivers they catch doing these things the better.

I have often thought police using unmarked lorries has been a good idea and now they are the only people that should be complaining about this are the so called professionals that think they are that good that they can text and cook and concentrate on the road. Well let’s hope they lose their licences really soon.

I also think they could utilise this vehicle to catch idiots in cars who think it’s acceptable to cut up 44ton trucks

Rant over

I think anything for the sake of road saftey is a good idea :smiley: One question i have is weather these units will be limited to 56mph like the rest of us :open_mouth: surely they cant break the law they are paid to inforce :laughing:

i’ve made a brew on several occasions whilst sat in a traffic jam. Does that make me a bad person?
it is quite legal to use a laptop as a navigational aid, but you can’t watch dvd’s while driving.
you will probably see the police truck around liverpool soon, as aberdeen angus is on the p+o dock at seaforth quite a lot.
all he does is pull irish lorries.

limeyphil:
i’ve made a brew on several occasions whilst sat in a traffic jam. Does that make me a bad person?

Nope - I used pour a cuppa from my flask if it could be done safely as well as eat, drink, light a ■■■ and all the other personal disgusting habits one does when you think no-one is looking !!!

AT THE APROPRIATE TIME for SAFETY is the key

If the old bill catch you doing it then it probably was not the above…

limeyphil:
you will probably see the police truck around liverpool soon, as aberdeen angus is on the p+o dock at seaforth quite a lot.
all he does is pull irish lorries.

Is that right, I thought Nairn was from a different force, Avon or somewhere.