Multi drop planning

hey friends,

In my new job i will be doing multi drop about 20 a day, the job is paperless instead we are given a phone with an app, with all drops and location on a map that is like connected to googlemaps. BUT as far as drop sequence goes this is down to the driver. i downloaded an app where you put all the post codes in and it does it for you but i am wondering if there are any tricks and tips that people use when doing multi drop ■■ any tips would be appreciated so i can try and hit the ground running and make as good impression on them

regards,
dave.

Tip… To make a good impression, stay safe and leagle! Don’t be to concerned with completing X amount of drops in a certain time frame…
Stay relaxed and keep a clean sheet, as you learn your area and start remembering industrial estates etc then you will save time naturally!

Plus knowing what time you can tip/load at what places etc will only come with time, and can potentially save you hours!

I’ve been told that i don’t need to worry about how many i do at the start as they have taken me on as a new driver which is cool. I aint going to be rushing i can tell you that haha. just wondering about how others plan the routes for the day…

Can’t really help there mate I only ever have 3/4…
What kind of work is it?

I used to deliver white goods over a fair old area… I used to kind of try and make a loop up if that makes sense, with as little zig zagging as possible…

Try and loop it where you can, keeping clumped areas together. Im guessing youll have timed deliveries on and well as regular drops? I always made sure I knew where the worst traffic hotspots where, rush hour/peak times etc, and tried to make sure those were done mid morning. The main thing is knowing your area, as the other poster said, and that comes with time. Its a case of trial and error, and your depot will know that. As well as all these fancy apps, its well worth having one of the detailed A-Zs of “your” area, helps when technology fails for any reason, but it`s also good for learning street names, short cuts etc (obviously being aware of weight limits and low bridges :wink: )

No matter what you do, there`s no accounting for experience, so just take it steady, listen, pay attention and above all else, if in doubt, ask. Someone will have been there/seen it and can give you the heads up :slight_smile:

Trouble:
Try and loop it where you can, keeping clumped areas together. Im guessing youll have timed deliveries on and well as regular drops? I always made sure I knew where the worst traffic hotspots where, rush hour/peak times etc, and tried to make sure those were done mid morning. The main thing is knowing your area, as the other poster said, and that comes with time. Its a case of trial and error, and your depot will know that. As well as all these fancy apps, its well worth having one of the detailed A-Zs of “your” area, helps when technology fails for any reason, but it`s also good for learning street names, short cuts etc (obviously being aware of weight limits and low bridges :wink: )

No matter what you do, there`s no accounting for experience, so just take it steady, listen, pay attention and above all else, if in doubt, ask. Someone will have been there/seen it and can give you the heads up :slight_smile:

thanks buddy, when i asked about timed delivery’s in my interview they said they run a i think 8am until 4pm timed delivery… Im like ok but then thinking is that really timed lol

its pallet network for a very well known pallet company

Ergot2005:

Trouble:

You’ll see how timed they are when you turn up somewhere at 4:01pm :smiley:

thanks buddy, when i asked about timed delivery’s in my interview they said they run a i think 8am until 4pm timed delivery… Im like ok but then thinking is that really timed lol

Ergot2005:

I was about to ask what you’re delivering…

I’ll take a guess that these are mainly coming of the back with a tail-lift. That being the case you’re going to need to have a plan of the route before you even get loaded than, as you want to always be taking the pallets from the back and not mucking about moving pallets around. Even if you learn that a certain drop is a forklift this still wants to be at the back as gaps lead to collapsed pallets, as the load as a whole supports itself.

To start with I wouldn’t get too involved and concerned in mapping the absolutely perfect route, as you’re going to have plenty on your plate. And the moment one things goes ■■■■, all that meticulous planning goes out the window and will have been for nothing.

As already said, put your initial efforts and concentration in to SAFE, LEGAL and ERROR/ACCIDENT FREE!

Best of luck! :smiley:

P.S. If it’s a curtainsider, do yourself a load plan on a bit of paper so you know which side a certain pallet is. The forkie will load you with the labels facing outwards, which won’t be much help when your in the back of the truck trying to push the curtain back to see around the side for the label in the dark! :laughing:

P.P.S. Not sure if you’ve worked with forkies before, but never EVER get near one without first ensuring you make eye contact with them to know you’re about…

Evil8Beezle:
As already said, put your initial efforts and concentration in to SAFE, LEGAL and ERROR/ACCIDENT FREE!

+1,
Never done as many as 20 drops, but sometimes on Groupage we’d be getting upto 10-12 drops a trailer, but they had a meticulous route plan that had to be stuck to, yeah right :unamused: occasionally you’d get caught out trying to circumvent the system :smiley:

Very occasionally, a new forkie would have loaded the trailer, and it would be back to front, because they used the same delivery manifest to load with, which was in drop order. to a forkie the back of the trailer is the furthest point away from the ramp, which happens to be the front of the trailer :unamused:

Evil8Beezle:

Ergot2005:

I was about to ask what you’re delivering…

I’ll take a guess that these are mainly coming of the back with a tail-lift. That being the case you’re going to need to have a plan of the route before you even get loaded than, as you want to always be taking the pallets from the back and not mucking about moving pallets around. Even if you learn that a certain drop is a forklift this still wants to be at the back as gaps lead to collapsed pallets, as the load as a whole supports itself.

To start with I wouldn’t get too involved and concerned in mapping the absolutely perfect route, as you’re going to have plenty on your plate. And the moment one things goes ■■■■, all that meticulous planning goes out the window and will have been for nothing.

Best of luck! :smiley:

P.S. If it’s a curtainsider, do yourself a load plan on a bit of paper so you know which side a certain pallet is. The forkie will load you with the labels facing outwards, which won’t be much help when your in the back of the truck trying to push the curtain back to see around the side for the label in the dark! :laughing:

P.P.S. Not sure if you’ve worked with forkies before, but never EVER get near one without first ensuring you make eye contact with them to know you’re about…

Thanks buddy I’ll certainly be making a note of my pallets and where they are on the truck. It is a curtain sider with tail lift and yes the bulk will be coming off the back. Haha

Soooo looking forward to Monday first is a 3 day induction Thursday ish I’ll be on my tod doing it all on my own.