Multi-drop headache

I just can’t seem to do it, any more than 6-8 drops and I’m lucky to make it round in a day :blush: I rush from one drop to the next, get there as quick as I can and tip it myself as quick as I can but it’s still no good! I find it the worst, most degrading, most stressful job I do and it’s one reason I’m willing to get myself into another grand’s worth of debt to get my class 1 (or at least have a damned good go)!

The only thing I can see that slows me down is having to find the places (where as the usual driver can go straight to them) and, more often than I’d like to admit, I drive straight past it and then waste time trying to find somewhere to turn around. I’ll sometimes drive past on purpose so I can have a good look at where I need to be or so I can turn right through the gate if it looks tight.

Brakes seems to form the bulk of my work lately and I really hate it, I’d rather be skint in a lot of ways and just not go but for now I’m after any words of wisdom you guys have regarding getting round quicker.

Frankly, I’ve been building up a good reputation, but now that multi-drop forms the majority of my work I can see it starting to dwindle and I don’t like it :frowning: Any advice would be much appreciated.

I was driving for National Carriers on 7.5 tonners doing 50+ parcel drops a day when I started - not quite as bad as it sounds as many were in the same street.

Those were the days when a driver could get a lot of help from their fellow drivers who were given the time to help them and the bosses did not mind if you spent an hour in the canteen working out the route etc - these days it’s very different in most places

Do you work out your route and drop locations before heading out of the yard ?

Darkseeker, I have done plenty of multi drop (Class 2) and did my Class 1 to open up more oppurtunities and because I didn’t want to do multi drop all the time. A lot of Class 2 agency work is multi drop, so getting your Class 1 might help a bit. That said I did 5 drops in a day in an Artic last week, so it’s not all 1 drop runs. :confused:

All I can say is that if you’re not sure where you need to be get help from others that have been before. I’ve found that other drivers love to show their knowledge to those willing to listen. Also a Sat Nav AND map can help to plan your route and how to approach the drop.
Most of all don’t get too stressed over what you’re doing. You can only do what you can do in a given time. Take the correct breaks and if you can’t get all the drops done tell the office. If what they ask you to do is unrealistic - tell them so.
One thing I would say is that if you are worried about getting into tight spots, that problem won’t end with Class 1. There are still plenty of tight spots for artics to get into :unamused:

Good luck mate and remember to relax :wink:

Hmmm, o.k. I don’t mind getting into tight spots, I like the challenge but often the solution seems to be to go past, turn around and come back to it facing the other way so you’ve got the space needed to make the turn. I do use a satnav for this type of work as stopping to check the map isn’t very easy in towns nowerdays, I guess it was easier years ago with less traffic and better thought out roads but really couldn’t say for sure.

The truck’s always loaded when I get there and the paperwork’s in order to suit, I assume someone has sussed a route and it’s been adjusted over time etc, etc but if you don’t know how it’s done it’s all down to educated guesses and trial and error - which of course takes time that isn’t normally required. I’ve tried explaining this sort of thing when the phone goes with the usual “why’s it taking so long” but you can gaurantee the answer; “the usual driver manages o.k. he’s normally back by now…”

I’ve got brakes tomorow and monday but I think after that I’ll be asking not to go again, nights is fine as it’s just trunking which I enjoy but I don’t want (or need) to do days there anymore :frowning:

I know some class 1 jobs are as bad if not worse but they do seem to be few and far between. I really need to pass this time!

Taking some time, as others have said to plan your route always pays of, ask other drivers to do you a simple map of drops you don’t know. I have google maps on my mobile and find it an invaluable tool. I often have 4 drops on a 10 meter trailer so the problem won’t go away when you upgrade. I quite like a few days of multi drop it beats the boredom of the motorway and hones you’re navigation skills. Try to keep a cool head and don’t rush about and soon you will be enjoying work you previously hated. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Aye, I’ll be trying that one given half a chance - trouble is, everyone’s wrapped up in their own jobs but I’ll try. I’ve got an i-phone which finds places pretty well, you just type the name and area in i.e. john lewis leicester and it shows where it is. sometimes even that doesn’t work though.

thanks guys, I’ll see how it goes.

darkseeker:
I just can’t seem to do it, any more than 6-8 drops and I’m lucky to make it round in a day :blush: I rush from one drop to the next, get there as quick as I can and tip it myself as quick as I can but it’s still no good! I find it the worst, most degrading, most stressful job I do and it’s one reason I’m willing to get myself into another grand’s worth of debt to get my class 1 (or at least have a damned good go)! I’d rather be skint in a lot of ways

Frankly, I’ve been building up a good reputation, but now that multi-drop forms the majority of my work I can see it starting to dwindle and I don’t like it :frowning: Any advice would be much appreciated.

A good reputation for doing multi drop zb work is the type of reputation which you can do without.I can remember doing four drops in a day on agency driving a 7.5 tonner,although I had a class 1 at the time,and brought about 50 left on the wagon back to the yard.Where I was informed that I’d also left a load of others behind when I started because I’d driven off before they’d finished loading the thing :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: The problem with class 1 though is that a lot of guvnors just look at an artic,even on general haulage, as a way of getting even more local multi drops done instead of using the thing for the type of full load long distance work which it’s best suited for.I prided myself on having a reputation for only wanting to do the type of work best suited to that type of wagon and leave the multi drop to those best suited to it who I’ve always regarded as mugs who just make it hell for themselves and anyone stupid enough to fill in for them when they’re away.If the guvnor tells you that the ‘other/regular driver’ manages ok tell him fine get him back to do the zb job and walk away.Life’s too short.

Mate you have answered your own question the other driver gets round so quick because he knows where he is going, and after you have done it for long enough so will you. Personally I really wouldn’t worry about how long it is taking you to get round it takes aslong as it takes. If they think you are stringing the job out present them with your digi card/tachos and let them see for them selves.

I have pretty much always done multi drop work all be it in a van and parking is not really a problem also restrictions doest really come into van driving but the planning the route etc is pretty much the same. One lad at my old place done London every day he was finished by dinner time every day and parked up in Toddingtons having a kip. I covered his run while he was on holiday as I was the new guy and wanted to impress by volunteering, I hated it really didnt know how he got round so quick until the last couple of days of doing it and started to get to know my way around a little better.

Time and experience is what you need mate, had a stint at Palmer and Harveys a few years back, went out with a guy who had been doing London for 7 years and knew all the shortcuts, nooks and crannys. He also knew what places to do first in order to get a quick tip, so whatever the run order was he’d ignore it, get in the back and swap the cages round at the earliest oppertunity. This meant we wold have a 5:00am start but always be home by 12:00pm.

Of course when I went out on my own I couldn’t find half the places, kept double backing on myself and didn’t get home til 7pm most days, what a nightmare, didn’t last long, guess it weren’t the job for me.

Think that’s about the gist of it though grayham, it ain’t for me either but it’s paying the bills. Saying that though, my phone doesn’t stop ringing lately and I might just be able to afford to drop brakes and hope one of the better jobs (that I keep having to turn down) takes it’s place.

I do multidrop both rigid and artic. I can easily do 14-16 drops (150km’s) in the rigid before doing a few pick ups, in the artic on a average day I am getting 10-12 drops (100km’s) and a couple pickups to fill the trailer. I have been doing this for the last 3 years, my tip is to get your route planned out best way you can, once you know your route better it will be easier to get this right, try not to rush as you will make ■■■■ ups, just always try and think ahead and dont flap.

You will sus it out, depends alot on what you deliver aswel, I do pallets, both tail lift and forked drops. Try and get to know your customers and they will be more likely to get you tipped fast.

Good luck

therin lies the problem alcpone, I’m an agency driver so different route nearly every time, brakes also involves a lot of messing about getting stuff into customer’s kitchins, freezers etc. If it was the same run each time it wouldn’t be as bad as some other jobs. Either way I’d rather get away from multi-drop.

darkseeker:
I just can’t seem to do it, any more than 6-8 drops and I’m lucky to make it round in a day :blush: I rush from one drop to the next, get there as quick as I can and tip it myself as quick as I can but it’s still no good! I find it the worst, most degrading, most stressful job I do and it’s one reason I’m willing to get myself into another grand’s worth of debt to get my class 1 (or at least have a damned good go)!

Man, I know what you feel. I was doing food deliveries as well. Now I am on pallet network, but it’s not really my cup of tea as well…

The only thing I can see that slows me down is having to find the places (where as the usual driver can go straight to them) and, more often than I’d like to admit, I drive straight past it and then waste time trying to find somewhere to turn around. I’ll sometimes drive past on purpose so I can have a good look at where I need to be or so I can turn right through the gate if it looks tight.

Eh, I know what you mean (again). Lucky for me I am for the same company for a few weeks now and i am going to be used to most places they do reguralry… But then, it drives me mad - I can’t stand driving arround my home (I covering my postcode and some neigbourhoods) five times a day… I became a driver to see the world, not to find every small workshop hidden in back lanes in the scope of 10 miles from my home :slight_smile:

I am now in dillema: what’s better: one in hand or two in the bush (or, as we say in Polish version: sparrow in hand, or pigeon on the roof and I don’t know why we say that :stuck_out_tongue:): it seems that company I am working is happy with me and they might want me for longer, but then I had an offer to do some sprinter work to France and Europe, and that what I would really fancy to do…

Problem is: the pallet work is weekly bookings, so I am sure of job for at least a week, while the sprinter work is ad hoc basis i suppose (as it’s urgent freight) and only to cover someone’s holidays, so for few weeks only.

What’s good in Sprinters is that it’s direct work for the company, no agency involved (I have a strange feeling, that agency rip me out, I did 62 hours in total last week, two days for one agency, together about 18 hours and 44 for the other one across the four days in that pallet company… I know that if you work for one employer and go over some amount, you will have to pay taxes, but I am not earning so much to pay 40% taxes yet (the agency for whom I done 44 hours paid me 20 quids more than that one I worked 18 hours only… They have roughly the same rate). I wanted to check it and compare with my own records, maybe they messed up with my hours, but they do not send me payslips…

I am really fed up with all that agencies, and I would really fancy to do that sprinter runs, but nowadays you should stick to whatever is promising to keep you running for longer…

Or maybe I am wrong? Maybe if I don’t like the job, I should bin it and get my chance? After all it’s a holiday season, in worst case agencies will keep me busy…

For the pallet company I have to say that folks there are great, job is organized well and lorries are OK (rather new and kept in decent condition)…

But I hate these stupid customers like someone who orders tone of tiles and then expect me to carry it upstairs… Or the pharmacy, who orders two pallets of stuff, and expect me to carry it into the shop while my lorry parked on double yellow line blocks the passing buses… Or that I have only two straps in my van to keep high pallets in position, so I either have to risk having them unsecured (which usually ends with handball) or to put them in wrong order (big together, small together) and then fight with that over the day…

I used to do lot of multidrop, but 12 drops over whole Fife, or 5 drops from Dundee to Peterhead is much more fun than 18 drops locally… I can’t even listen to radio or songs, as I am mostly jumping on and out lorry…

Off course I am trying my best to do the job well (and it seems that company like me for that), but these 10-12 hours shifts every day + commuting means that I almost do not have live for myself… I would prefere to go away for a few days and then have some time off…

Ok, ignore it, I’m just thinking aloud :smiley:

darkseeker:
therin lies the problem alcpone, I’m an agency driver so different route nearly every time, brakes also involves a lot of messing about getting stuff into customer’s kitchins, freezers etc. If it was the same run each time it wouldn’t be as bad as some other jobs. Either way I’d rather get away from multi-drop.

Having different runs is what is holding you up, not getting familiar is a pain.

I am hoping to get away from MD myself, but my job is easy I just want to get furthur a field and do some tramping :slight_smile:

116 deliveries today by 16:00 then 19 collections :unamused: :cry:

darkseeker:

If you are sent to the same depot, they only have a finite number of routes…

I got landed with some multidrop fridge work in a rigid to start with, the rural stuff was great. The city-centre stuff was a 'mare, but it’s not impossible. (Done multidrop in vans (40-80 items) and on motorcycles too (130+ items Central London)).

Plan route.
Plan load (usually in some sort of order)
Take your time. (More haste, less speed)
Make note for next time. Okay, might not be needed again, but you’ll be glad you did if you get landed with the same run again.

I was taking nearly 12 hours to knock out a shift of 8.5h. When I knew who’d be open when and what exact order to knock 'em out in. I had time for a kip. :laughing:

nickyboy:

[zb] that [zb] ! That’d be 2 weeks work for me!

To darkseeker, I sympathise with you re Brakes.

When I was living in Glasgow I did an agency run from their outfit at ■■■■■■■■■■■ in a 26 tonner. Never again. First off it was chilled and frozen, but also jammed solid right to the back doors so you couldn’t even move the chilled cages about, never mind get to the frozen compartment. It was something stupid like a 4am start and it was 15 drops in total I think, starting at Edinburgh airport then 4 or 5 pubs and hotels round the city, then over the bridge and another 10 pubs and hotels round Fife. As you say, they expect you to not only deliver the stuff, but put it away in the customer fridges/freezers as well :open_mouth: . I lost it big time at one place in Fife. It was a pub on a high street but it was all double yellows. Of course, soon as I sets up the t/l and starts getting first cage off the traffic warden turns up and starts giving it large. Only other place I could move to was down the side of the pub, but this was a narrow access road to a public car park, so after having secured everything again in the back, moved round the corner, and set up stall again, some [zb] then needs to get out. :angry: :angry: :angry: Seriously, it was THE WORST job I have EVER done. 7pm by the time I got finished (on a Saturday, by the way) and then they backtracked on sending someone out to pick me up and switched off all their phones! Had another 2 hours drive back to the yard even though I was well over my hours.

I wouldn’t do that BS again for all the money in the world. The company is a serious ■■■■-take, along with 3663. I also had similar experiences with a logistics place in the industrial estate across the motorway from Easterhouse. They use little 12 tonner Renault Midlum’s with demounts and do MFI’s home deliveries. Seriously, I remember one run I had, 27 drops, starting at Gourock and finishing at Alnwick. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I’m not kidding! They give you a driver’s mate but most of the drops are only 1 item anyway and I’d say that 50% of them is stuff you can carry on your own. He spent most of the time sleeping. Only got 16 drops done by the time we got to Alnwick. Still had another 9 to do round Jedburgh, Hawick and Galashiels. I’d driven flat out and even with those 9 left to do I was still 30 mins over my 15 hours by the time we got back to base. These companies need [zb] shutting down, the lot of them. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

nickyboy:

that makes me shudder, stuff that, worked at UPS for a while seeing all the vans crammed to the roof with little parcels, no thanks :open_mouth: although I don’t think they were expected to get them all delivered that day, any left were just brought back for tomorrow.

Lucky for me I only had 8-10 drops a day in a knackered gutless old iveco (still in Lynx livery) no early finish though as I had 4-5 timed collections to do and the last one was at a alloy wheel firm in Paddock Wood at 5pm (depot in Dartford). Still I was agency and paid by the hour back then.

One of the reasons I took my class one was to get out of the multidrop stuff.

I’ve just gone back to work after six months off, and straight onto a week of pallet distribution.

It’s not my favourite work as I prefer the distance / less drops rather than having them all bunched up. I think it’s because if you are going to another area for your next one, you just head out in the right direction
With locals / close drops I always find myself bouncing from one side to the other simply because if you don’t know where they are in relation to eachother, you can’t route up beforehand.

Another crap part of this last week has been RDC delivery. I have had Asda Doncaster and Nisa Scunthorpe, and its just horrendous when you have other drops behind it.

Grayham:
One of the reasons I took my class one was to get out of the multidrop stuff.

One of the regular jobs my agency tries to give me is a Chinese/Indian food company in Nottingham, I did do it one week, Multidrop in an artic. You do get a drivers Mate, but he’s only much use if you can speak arabic or punjabi or whatever it is, also on getting in the cab and turning ignition on the radio is tuned into Mustafa Chant FM or something, (I gave Mr Indian a culture shock by giving him Kerrang Radio all day) anyways…40-50drops? in the artic.

You pull up at Chinese takeaway and eventually they open the door, and just stand there eating noodles pointing you to where they want the stuff putting, some upstairs, some down in the cellar, some in the freezer. I was trying to tell the Mate that it was a ■■■■■■■■ and there was no way we should be doing all that for H&S reasons but he didn’t want to know, was too afraid for his job.

Final straw was when we got to some town, crawled through the town, down the high street looking for this takeaway, we are going down this high street, which is actually quite narrow and theres busses coming the other way, me having to go up the kerb and the bus having to do the same to get past each other, which is pretty scary think to be doing when the pavements are full and people are stepping into the road as pavement is full… there there ! says Mr Indian… I look at Joe Bloggs Chinese takeaway, and the road and the busses and the pedestrians… No chance I say, not stopping here, would cause chaos and far too dangerous for all the peds…In the end I drive past and turn round a few miles further, and come back up the high street the other way, looking for a bustop or alleyway, anywhere to park… theres nowhere… “we must stop” says Mr Indian. Not a chance says
I, we can’t stop here, they’ll have to send it on a van to be here at 7am or something, no way you can stop an artic here at 2pm.

Mr Indian gets on his phone and speaks in Punjabi to his bossman, he says “phone” and tries to pass phone to me, I say just tell him we can’t do it, not safe, and we are heading for the next job… “He say must deliver, go back.” Tell him no chance, its coming back says I… He keeps trying to pass the phone to me… EVentually I screach to a halt in a busstop and take the phone… bossman say I must deliver… tried to explain about the traffic and busses and the pedestrians, not safe… Was like talking to a brick wall… So I say “its coming back” and hang up…

2mins Later my Agency phone up, “We understand your refusing to do a drop for Blah company?” Yes thats right, its not safe etc etc explain etc etc…
Agency mhmm listen mmhmm not really interested in what I say is obvious…

“You must do the drop”… Its not gonna happen says I… Its coming back…

“If you don’t do the drop your not going to work for us anymore”… Fine then if thats the way you want it, I’m still not delivering it, its not a safe place to stop… Bye (hangs up)

We carry on missing this drop, do the rest of the ■■■■ takeaways, more upstairs downstairs dfreezers steps, Nobody helping just standing there watching… get back to yard, park up, go home etc…

Monday Morning…“phone rings - Agency”

“Hi its X, about last week”… “Very angry company got us to give them a driver for Saturday on a van to deliver that load”… “We phoned him up to see what he thought of it and would he have parked an Artic outside that Takeaway?”… Seems whoever that van driver was he claimed it was virtually impossible to park a van there and offload, said no way he would park an Artic there, He backed me up without knowing the whole story… “We’re very sorry about what was said, will you still work for us?”

So you see, Artics does not mean no Multidrops, it just depends what company your sent to… I’ve never been back to that particular company, but there are two Asian food companies in Nottingham run by brothers, and the other one I have done a few days for… although its usually only about 6drops with a mate, so thats doable, 50 is not on.

Darkseeker, I have done the Multidrop on Brakes out of Bilsthorpe, I know exactly what your talking about, its a ■■■■■■■■ putting stuff in customers freezers and store cupboards on your own with nobody helping, I told them what I thought about it. Try to avoid that place now but sometimes you just gotta accept it as thats all thats offered.