Mudguards and wheelarches

how many have you killed since you,ve been driving.
me ive had three in 19 years of driving hgv.
i pulled one off whilst backing over a kerb many moons ago. i thought i would be in big trouble ,so i decided to take it back with me. the fitters chucked it in the skip.
then two years ago i took two off in one go.
i had to reverse down this lane a couple of hundred yards. however i had never done this job before and it had been raining all night and all the large potholes were full of water. hence i did not no how deep they were. as it was a long straight reverse i went a tad faster than normal and off they came. this time they went in the customers skip :wink:

1…it came off as it caught in the guide to the loading dock when suspension was lowered,just went and got a mechanic and he fitted a new one back on there and then :laughing: not bad in 14 years of driving hgv’s

kitkat:
1…it came off as it caught in the guide to the loading dock when suspension was lowered,just went and got a mechanic and he fitted a new one back on there and then :laughing: not bad in 14 years of driving hgv’s

thats means your due one.
incidentally, i mentioned on a post a few weeks back that i had only had a few punctures.
i had one the next day :cry:

i have taken one off backing over a kerb. the TM went ballistic at me. i did point out that it is quite common for trucks to lose mud guards :laughing:

dave:

kitkat:

thats means your due one.
incidentally, i mentioned on a post a few weeks back that i had only had a few punctures.
i had one the next day :cry:

does that mean i can send you the bill :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

not me mate, im skint :wink:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that alot of British trucks and trailers look extremely ridiculous with their mudgards? Especially put next to a continental truck that looks like a proper truck/trailer.

Aren’t mudguards fitted with spray suppressors, so that you don’t drown every passing motorist!!. Thought that was the idea. Have passed foreign trucks in my car on the motorway in the rain, and cant see a thing until clear of them.

As a brit wokng here in germany i can only say europe is some repects is
still in the middle-ages with safety points , the side bars and the marker lights on the sides of vehicles started FIRST in GB and the rest followed.
as for the spray-surpression system they whant one made in main-land europe and this has first to pass more tests, its wonderful driveing behind a lorry from GB in the rain as you are not blinded by the spray
of water at the rear of the lorry in front.

You might be able to see better if you’re following - but I’m with robinhood_1984 - they do look a bit ‘namby pamby’ with the guards on.

Cars don’t have to have them so why should we :laughing: Should be personal choice!

kitkat:

ive had that at ciba bradford when the arm comes round as you drive over it pulled the wheel arch straight off.

the reason foreigners look better is because they couple the trailer up closer to the unit no hideous gap between tractor and trailer…then theres running with axles up making the whole thing look daft…

ps…whats a 45 footer…even before i took my test in 1987 ferrymasters had signs on some of theres stating long trailer 13.6 metres…

pps i know stuff to do with boxes is still in the 18th century

Robinhood…it must be you…nothing looks stupid in my mind if its there for our own safety…we have a lot of technology built into our trucks today which we never used to have…spray supression equipment is there to stop spray being thrown everywhere and blinding drivers…ever overtaken a truck in your car when its pouring down…and its fitted with spray equipment…it still obscures your vision…side guards…under run rear bumpers they are all fitted for safety reasons…in america…the wheels have no spray equipment…theres no side guards…or rear impact bars…and no limiters…no m.o.t…and when a your going at 70 mph in a car and a truck overtakes you in the pouring rain…then thank god our laws and rules are there to protect us…whether its stupid or not…and one of the reasons that they have those huge monsters of trucks with long bonnets…is because they think its cissy not to have them…which is why they dont have many cab-overs like us

If anyone wants to start saving mudguards and wings, call in at Peugeot PSA at Coventry :stuck_out_tongue: There is a stack of them scattered around the loading bay. Most of them say Gefco on them.

They have a wheel lock system and if you cant get the truck lined up in the track it eats the mudguard :smiley:

Im tipping there on Monday :exclamation:

jessicas dad:

kitkat:

ive had that at ciba bradford when the arm comes round as you drive over it pulled the wheel arch straight off.

Never had that trouble at CIBA myself. I did a lot of agency work for Roadways trunking in and out of there and never once had any problems. :confused:

Lost a wheelarch on motorway as the result of a blowout!!..Quite common occurance I s’pose.

Rob K:

jessicas dad:

kitkat:

Never had that trouble at CIBA myself. I did a lot of agency work for Roadways trunking in and out of there and never once had any problems. :confused:

i had it on bay 2 when i got the manager out he said " why does that always happen on bay 2 "

now i never go on bay 2.

when i was on the milk i ripped 2 off at ther same store, kwik save at bloxwich the place was a building site at the time .

thats my excuse and im sticking with it :blush:

jon