Mud on road?

I had to pick up a mini digger today , I had to drive it down a bit of road my truck wouldnt go down and got mud on the road from the site, about 1/2 a mile.

One of the nimbys came out telling me I would have to clean it up blah blah etc etc.

How do I stand if they report it to the council or my employer?, farmers can dump and old crap on the roads they want and be left to do it, but as I was driving a small piece of mobile plant how do I stand legally?.

Should have told him God will do it when he makes it rain. These people do my head in !

There’s probably no God LOL.

This is the same kind of people who when I set my crane up to deliver building materials come and ask how long I will be as they need to get to work etc when they start to get a little abusive I ask if they say the same thing to fire engines or ambulances then they go back sit down and realisde that they have only delayed themselves !!!.

Surely the best way to diffuse a situation like that, would be to . .bite youre lip and apologise, point to the telephone number on the lorry and shout “if youve got a complaint . . tell them”
Failing that, tell em to “■■■■ off”

Title of this thread reminds me of an lp i once owned :blush:

jammymutt:
I had to pick up a mini digger today , I had to drive it down a bit of road my truck wouldnt go down and got mud on the road from the site, about 1/2 a mile.

One of the nimbys came out telling me I would have to clean it up blah blah etc etc.

How do I stand if they report it to the council or my employer?, farmers can dump and old crap on the roads they want and be left to do it, but as I was driving a small piece of mobile plant how do I stand legally?.

found this on the web

The Law
Farmers and vehicle operators who deposit mud on the road are potentially liable for a range of offences. This guidance note is not a complete statement of the law or of your possible liabilities.

Criminal Law
A range of powers is available to the police and Highways Department, primarily under the Highways Act 1980, the Road Traffic Act 1988 and the Norfolk County Council Byelaw no 27.

Highways Act 1980 Section 137 “If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence”. Highways Act 1980 Section 148 “If without lawful authority or excuse a person deposits anything whatsoever on a highway to the interruption of any user of the highway he is guilty of an offence”.

ususally all the police would require u to do is make an attempt to clear it up

jammymutt:

Simple
back down the road using the digger blade to scrape the crap off the road as you go :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Nick I did think that then I wondered about damaging tarmac with the blade!!!

Suedehead:
Surely the best way to diffuse a situation like that, would be to . .bite youre lip and apologise, point to the telephone number on the lorry and shout “if youve got a complaint . . tell them”
Failing that, tell em to “[zb] off”

Title of this thread reminds me of an lp i once owned :blush:

well put that man! The only correct response to muppets. Failing that you can always lend them a brush and shovel saying something along the lines of 'if thine eye offend thee, then pluck it out.

I will just put my tin hat on, mud ect on the road is dangerous to motor bikes ,it is 2009 and this practice should be jumped on a pressure wash should be on site to clean plant when going on a public road ,put it this way would you like to follow in your new car a truck throwing mud and stone off the wheels, vehicles tipping on sites should tip in a central tipping area to avoid excess mud ect going on the public highway,that way it would be more safe for workers on site and less damage and punctures to vehicles

jammymutt:

You are breaking the law if you leave mud or any other type of debris on any highway. You should clean up what you have deposited on the road or better the wheels or tracks should be washed down before leaving the site

Having mud on the road poses a small threat to motorbikes I agree, but If you are moving tracked plant from a muddy site onto tarmac why the flip did’nt you swing your bucket 90 degree’s put it on the ground jib down till your left/right track clears the ground, then fast track it then do the same on the other track you will have a clean machine and a happy resident… screw drivers/drivers spring to mind…

scotslad:

jammymutt:

You are breaking the law if you leave mud or any other type of debris on any highway. You should clean up what you have deposited on the road or better the wheels or tracks should be washed down before leaving the site

Putting my flak jacket on!
Of course you should clean it up, you are creating a possibly dangerous hazard. Being a professional truck driver is much more than just driving a vehicle sat on your fat [zb]. I had a very nasty accident 15 odd years ago, caused by some numpty leaving mud on the bend of a road in Wiltshire.

I guess it depends to some extent on the quantity of mud left on the road, if you mean you left lumps of mud on the road then why not borrow a shovel and brush and clean it up ?

Mud on the road can be dangerous as well as annoying to local residents and other motorists.

I could be wrong but I believe that as there were obviously witnesses the local authority can charge your company for cleaning up any substantial amount of mud left on the road by you.

Slightly off topic but I’ve always wondered why you get fined £60 for letting your dog ■■■ on the pavement but a horse can leave a log the size of a great dane and get away with it. In your case yes it’s illegal, inconsiderate and dangerous but until the police start doing all the farmers that leave crap all over the roads then I wouldn’t worry about it.

where i live if a horse drops one people rush out to collect it for the garden where as the dog (zb) is left where it is

fuse:
where i live if a horse drops one people rush out to collect it for the garden where as the dog (zb) is left where it is

you beat me to it fuse! :smiley:

fuse:

Sadly where I live they don’t, and the dog crap is left too. :confused:

I always try to clean all the mud/debris of the road but usually manage to load/unload, on site. If I have ALOT of stuff over the wheels then I will see if I cant hose off the wheels, if I cant then it’s down to the site owners to clean it up, with my assistance if they need it.