MSA cafe- lorry drivers only?

Many, many years ago when I was but a young laddie, I recall stopping at a MSA with my dad (in his A40) and him telling me that the lorry drivers had their own cafe which was cheaper than the one the general public used, and us as general public were NOT ALLOWED to use the lorry drivers facilities.
Was this actually the case, or have the years gone by and fogged up my memory banks?

To me it seems like a fine idea!

True. I remember them too; they were on many motorways, but not all if my memory serves me well. I remember the one at Leicester Forest in particular but I don’t know why that particular one sticks in my memory

Back in the 60’s I seem to remember travelling with my uncle and there being one at Watford Gap.

Some of them required a union card

Yes, some MSA’s did serve lorry drivers and coach drivers only in a separate section and the food was generally a little cheaper.
I have seen non lorry drivers trying to get served and being told to wait until drivers had been served.
The mushroom near Lancaster had a separate floor in the tower for lorry drivers at one time.
I don’t know when this practice ceased, I only used the MSA’s in emergency and never to stay over night.

The old Jungle cafe on the A6 Shap road wouldn’t let anybody but drivers in the main cafe, they had another next to it for general motorists.

IIRC Aust services had one.

The last one I remember was the one on the M61 southbound services.

And Hilton park. upstairs in the control tower iirc.

They were called “Yorkies”.

r slicker:
And Hilton park. upstairs in the control tower iirc.

Yep, Forton Services (now Lancaster West) had a truckers cafe up in the tower too, and showers. I don’t remember it being cheaper though, although that doesn’t mean it wasn’t.

Conor:
The last one I remember was the one on the M61 southbound services.

I remember that one, it’s now Bolton South or something, on the M61 southbound. It’s only ten years ago too.

mkb600:
Many, many years ago when I was but a young laddie, I recall stopping at a MSA with my dad (in his A40) and him telling me that the lorry drivers had their own cafe which was cheaper than the one the general public used, and us as general public were NOT ALLOWED to use the lorry drivers facilities.
Was this actually the case, or have the years gone by and fogged up my memory banks?

To me it seems like a fine idea!

That’s true but it has to be said that there were some that were not too good, Leicester Forest East was one I mostly avoided eating in.

In the MSA’s that didn’t have separate cafes for lorry drivers or when the drivers cafes were closed you could go into the main cafe and tell them that you were transport and you would generally get a small discount at the till.

Are any of theys still about ?

Legend_Scania:
Are any of theys still about ?

I doubt it.

The days of cheaper food for lorry drivers are long gone.

A few truck stops that also served the public used to have signs saying TRUCK DRIVERS HAVE PRIORITY at the counter, not seen any for a while now!

i remember there being one at Clacket Lane i believe that was called ( yorkies )

The cafe opposite the Farm cafe on the A17 still gives drivers priority in being served.I once went in when there was a queue and they told the people waiting that I was a driver and only had a short break and so I would be served first.

yes i remember WAtford gap being 1 and also the Old Penny farthing services on M20.

weeto:
A few truck stops that also served the public used to have signs saying TRUCK DRIVERS HAVE PRIORITY at the counter, not seen any for a while now!

Lynn at the Raven still has and indeed hasn’t been shy in putting it into practice.

Truck drivers got priority at the Ace Cafè too: