MPG Figures for drivers

Hi there, do any of you operators publish a list on a weekly basis for your drivers to show their MPG figures, like a league table? If so what info is on there, or alternatively could anyone email me a copy?

Regards

AaronR

Our one is published every 3 months with figures for the past 12 on it. It has the reg, vehicle type, mpg month by month then in the last two columns it has the average for the year then best mpg for that vehicle type in depot in the last year. Eg if it’s a daf it will have the best daf mpg in the last column

Have to come up with a standard fill to point if its a multi use fleet, some of our drivers don’t like to fill to the top as it looks like they are using too much fuel (i sometimes have to top up before departure if i have a long run or i won’t have enough to get back)…which is peculiar because unless someone was obviously ‘losing’ fuel nothing would be said or happen anyway, drivers are a strange bunch sometimes.

Not sure a fuel consumption chart or league has any beneficial effects on driver practice, that comes by getting some extra money for fuel saving…subject to the above under-filling by some if multi use.

Our trucks are fitted with the gadget that relays the information to the office computers, like mileage, mpg, braking, harsh acceleration, etc, etc, it is immediate, but the results are printed weekly, alongside the drivers name, and those at the bottom of the list are offerd further training if required/needed.
And with the current fuel situation it is being enforced rigorously.

I write mpg’s on a white board every week showing the previous weeks performance and average to date - all drivers take notice of it & take the ■■■■ out of worse performing drivers who then try harder next week.

Good thing, peer pressure

A guy I drove for last week was going mad because the fuel prices are high, but don’t seem to want to do anything about the fact that his Premium is only doing 6 mpg! It was down to 5 and I found out it’s better on fuel at 56 rather than the more sedate 50 I usually keep to (Small enclosed trailer wheels). I usually get better fuel returns than most so there has to be something wrong. As it’s as flat as a witches ***, I reckon it’s losing turbo pressure through a split pipe or inter-cooler, but he don’t seem interested.

DoYouMeanMe?:
A guy I drove for last week was going mad because the fuel prices are high, but don’t seem to want to do anything about the fact that his Premium is only doing 6 mpg! It was down to 5 and I found out it’s better on fuel at 56 rather than the more sedate 50 I usually keep to (Small enclosed trailer wheels). I usually get better fuel returns than most so there has to be something wrong. As it’s as flat as a witches ***, I reckon it’s losing turbo pressure through a split pipe or inter-cooler, but he don’t seem interested.

Hi Mate,

How old was this Premium?
A colleague has an 8x4 Premium Lander as myself, both 430`s, mine is a 61,his a 12 plate.
Mine is doing 6.8 mpg and his 6mpg and he says his is flat as well. He works on the flat around Port talbot area and I am doing valley work.
MPG should be the other way around.

DoYouMeanMe?:

this is what we have at our place.4x61 plates,1x59 plate & 2x60 plates…they are returning 10mpg but only pull about 7/8 tons as we deliver cartons/packaging so hardly anyweight in trailer.
i had 1 restricted to 53mph as a fuel trial last month & it returned 12.5 mpg…

Think it’s an 04 plate. It’s on a private number but I’m sure I saw an old plate in the trailer sometime. I also think it’s meant to be a 420 but it’s been de-badged, if it is, 400 horses are running wild somewhere 'cos they certainly ain’t under the bonnet.

We can tell at the pump(on site),mine has got horrendous on fuel lately,around 6.1mpg :blush: . And it’s the only 1 needing adblue aswell. I used to get at least 7.0mpg ,the truck is well serviced is’nt down on power or anything. I’m about to change from a 36ft timber trailer to a 45ft extendable :open_mouth: this will probably add at least another ton to my unladen weight which is just over 18 ton at the minuite. I dunno how it pay’s a haulier as i can burn well over €200 in derv in any given day :neutral_face: