Moving to Nottingham any job advice!

After visting Nottingham four times in four weeks love the place and want to move there as soon as possible.

Do you guys know any companies that might take me on, im 27 (28 tomorrow), ive been driving two years with about 10 months C+E experience, mainly regional depot retail deliveries.

Narrowing it down even more I currently do four on four off which is brilliant, dont suppose there are any companies or agencies that run this shift pattern?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as im going down next week to go round a few places in person, absolutely no point phoning or mailing these people!!

cheers folks

ringo

hello ringo, RH FREIGHT would possibly take you on. you would need to be prepared to strip tilts out in wind and rain though, :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: the basics crap but you do loads of hours therefore earning a fair wedge. i cant think of many doing four on four off at the moment. IMR at beeston have just lost two drivers (my mates :laughing: ) so they also need drivers. STEADS at mapperley are also advertising regularly, as are WEST TRANSPORT at ilkeston, they do a lot of work in boots so maybe they could offer you the shift you require. CLEARWAY are another who do a lot of boots trunking. a bit further afield you have PHIL HANLEYS at bilsthorpe and grantham, fridge work…silly o`clock start times but easy work. todays notts evening post is the day for jobs. good luck anyway. rgds jon

After visting Nottingham four times in four weeks love the place and want to move there as soon as possible.

moving to nottingham,are you mad :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

no seriuosly good luck ,west transports do alot of work for united biscuits out of ashby,but it invovles alot of nights out.,but you have got decent kit (renault premiums and erf’s).

jon

You like notts■■? lived there all me life cant stand the place, moved to mansfield 3 years ago, much better. Make sure you collect your bullet proof vest at the border!!! :wink:

I work for Phil Hanleys at bilsthorpe. Dont do 4/4 but we do have day, night and tramping. Basics middle of the road but plenty of o/t. Jonboy@rh is right about the daft o’clock starts, but they do try to share em out.

Hope this helps

Martin

p.s. only joking about notts!!! dont want to offend :blush:

jonboy:
you have got decent kit (renault premiums and erf’s)

:open_mouth: What is bad ‘kit’ then :question:

Ringo you dont say where you are moving to.

We are looking for drivers in Grantham if you are moving to the East of Notts send me a P.M. and ill give you more info.

We are currently looking for Night drivers class 1, i can also give you the name of a good agency in Nottingham who like any other agency are desperately seeking drivers.

If you are looking for work straight away try giving YPD - Yvonne Palmer Drivers a call or email (they have a website). They have plenty of work in the Nottingham/Mansfield/Alfreton area. Some of their staff have an attitude problem but in general they are no worse than any other agency.

On a personal note Nottingham leaves me cold. When you are down have a drive around - Mansfield/Chesterfield or any of the towns around - Better atmosphere in some of the smaller places.

Best of Luck

Thanks for the replies guys, its always difficult when you dont know an area finding which employers are okay etc from the massive list available.

Im going down there next week to go round several of the places in person, as from past experience phoning and writing seems as reliable as sending an untrained goat to get a job for you!

cheers folks

ringo

My advice about Nottingham is - Watch them speed cameras!!!

They are everywhere! I deliver to a nursery in Notts regularly. There’s cameras every 100 yards from the M1 to my tipping address. :smiling_imp:

I was in Nottingham the other day, someone asked what i thought of Gedling? i said i dunno, i`ve never geddled!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jonboy:

but you have got decent kit (renault premiums and erf’s).

jon

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:
jon

roytheboy:
I was in Nottingham the other day, someone asked what i thought of Gedling? i said i dunno, i`ve never geddled!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROFLMAO
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I went to Nottingham yesterday on my motorbike, I got pulled on Mansfield Road

The copper made me empty my rucksack and asked if I had a gun.

No, of course not, I replied

Then said, “well you better have mine then” :confused:

Old ones are the best ! eh malc?

Ringo

I think Jonboy has just about covered all the likely ones (but who is IMR Jonboy, that’s a new one on me?) and speaking as one who twice over the years has been turned down by RH when having bags of experience domestic & continental under his belt, you should have no trouble there with 2 years rolling!

Is Stirlands still going? Rolled a few miles out of Boots for them and what about the firm at Balloon Woods (Marshall’s ex depot) which Mick Frost bought into just before I left town? He came from Les Wilson at Ilkeston(?). Then there is Neil McHugh at Colwick but he sold out so don’t know what it’s called now.

Plenty of choice mate, I wish you all the best. I spent a large chunk of my life there and despite all the jokes it’s not a bad old town. If I didn’t like it so much here I’d be back like a shot :smiley:

Salut, David.

BondiTram:
Is Stirlands still going? Rolled a few miles out of Boots for them and what about the firm at Balloon Woods (Marshall’s ex depot) which Mick Frost bought into just before I left town? He came from Les Wilson at Ilkeston(?). Then there is Neil McHugh at Colwick but he sold out so don’t know what it’s called now.
Salut, David.

Hi David,
Stirlands is now TDG, The firm Mick Frost bought into is RG Services (I had a very brief spell with them,) but theyve moved to Awsworth now, next to Noel Clay, and Im afraid I cant remember the name that McHughs goes under now (basically, they`re a vehicle hire company, or were) and Les Wilson runs out of Heanor btw. A firm called IMR now runs out of Balloon Woods
Regards
Trev

Trevor,

Thanks for the update. Yes, Stirlands has been in the Transport Developement Group for many years, in fact before I joined them in the early 70s but always retained their own name. I remember now, RG Services, started by Bob & Robert running light vehicles often on sub-contract for Clearway (which used to be W.E. Andrew & Son before Chris Dean’s father bought in. Old Bill Andrew was a great friend and help to my brother and I many years ago) before buying heavier vehicles. One of them left and Mick arrived after falling out with Les (yes, of Heanor, they had a warehouse in Ilkeston near the railway). Neil McHugh I also knew personally. He ran the most reliable of all haulage companies until the hire firm bought them out. I used all the above at different times during my transport manager phase! Great to hear they are still around. IMR is a new one to me though. What do the initials stand for? You never know the names might be familiar.

If all this seems a bit off thread I apologise to Ringo but on the other hand maybe the info is of use.

Salut, David

hello david, i managed to get in touch with my friend whos just left imr today. the initials stand for IAN M ROBINSON. my mates gone to gagewells in lenton, hes just back from his first “proper” european run to paris! talk about baptism of fire :laughing: :laughing: … i`ve been going over the water on and off for 10 years now and paris still makes me come out in a rash :laughing: :laughing: . rgds jon

Jonboy

Thanks for that. Don’t know Ian Robinson as it happens. I think Paris was one of my earlier runs too. Rungis & Blanc Mesnil. Whilst sat in the solid Peripherique I watched in horror and amazement as a hand holding a knife came out of the truck window in front to ■■■■■ the tilt next door! Somebody must have upset somebody! Spent my last 3 years working for a French company and that meant frequent Paris runs, many to almost impossible back street premises. Never did get to like it. Now, nearly 2 years after retirement I still send a smug glance at the clock at 10pm each Sunday and think of all my mates setting off for Gay Paree. Good feeling :laughing:

Salut, David.

Firstly, apologies to Ringo for keeping this off thread (please feel free to phone me or email me if you got the details I sent you, and you need any more info or help btw), but my memory returned, David, and the firm who took over Neil McHugh is called Alltruck
Regards
Trev