Moving to England

Hi all,

I am currently an o/o in Canada driving between Toronto and the States. My wife and I will be moving to England in a year because of her work / research, so I will need to start all over again over there.
I read through the forums and got some idea of how things are for british drivers. I especially enjoyed the illustrated diaries by Mr. “Coffeeholic” Neil Hobbs. That was very helpful.
When we get to England I plan on starting as a driver to get a drift of things, so to say, and then to progress to byuing my own truck if things work out well.

What can I count for pay-wise while working as a driver? Does EU work pay more than local or vice versa?

I would appreciate any further advice from people with experience. THANKS !

caravan:
Hi all,

I am currently an o/o in Canada driving between Toronto and the States. My wife and I will be moving to England in a year because of her work / research, so I will need to start all over again over there.

Firstly Caravan, welcome to the madhouse that is TrucknetUK :wink: .

It’s funny the above quote, 'cause I’m halfway considering moving out to NewZeland/Canda :open_mouth: .

I read through the forums and got some idea of how things are for british drivers. I especially enjoyed the illustrated diaries by Mr. “Coffeeholic” Neil Hobbs. That was very helpful.

Entertained us as well :laughing: :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:. Sure he’ll be pleased to hear it :wink: .

When we get to England I plan on starting as a driver to get a drift of things, so to say, and then to progress to byuing my own truck if things work out well.

Might be worth posting on the Owner Drivers forum here to see what gives :wink: .

What can I count for pay-wise while working as a driver? Does EU work pay more than local or vice versa?

Can’t say about EU work, but their are plenty on here who have/are doing it and will be happy to help :wink:. I’m sure you’ve had a look, but try here . As far as UK work goes, then how long’s a piece of string :unamused: . Sorry, but you know how it is. Pay rates tend to vary enormousley from one County (province?) to the next :unamused: . The best paying area to my mind, is the stupidly termed “Golden Corridor” in the midlands area. lf you land yourself around the junction 20/21 M1 Lutterworth/Leicester/Crick area, then you should be spoilt for choice re drivingwork, as that’s where a lot of RDC’s (Regional Distribution Centres) for the supermarkets are based :wink: .

Hope this helps some.

Cheers

Ian.

Thanks for the reply and for the welcome ! :slight_smile:

It’s important to be able to have advice from people who know what they are doing. Having acquired a good deal of experience over here the hard way, I’m in no mood to repeat it the same way once I land in England. And although I realize that some “bumps” are inevitable it would be nice to be able to avoid certain basic stupid mistakes having some friendly advice.

Thanks again to you and anyone else who will comment. I am going away on a 4-day run Toronto - Dallas - Toronto.

it would be nice to be able to avoid certain basic stupid mistakes

We drive on the left side of the road which is the right side! :smiley:

Welcome to TrucknetUK caravan :slight_smile:
Hope all goes well for you and
your wife when you move to
England.

Welcome to TN UK caravan.
But

friendly advice.

now thats possibly asking just that little bit too much of us.

Caravan,
You bringing that motor with you? Looks nice. Probably wouldn’t fit in our length limits although more and more I see in France blokes getting away with bonneted trucks coupled to max. length trailers. Apparently!

If you are used to those kind of runs - Toronto/Dallas - I would advise you to plump for Euro work. It would drive you mad pottering about England, the traffic is horrendous and I for one don’t regret for a minute emigrating.

To get that kind of distance in the EU would be roughly equivalent to London, England to Seville in Southern Spain. There are longer runs - Greece, Finland and beyond the EU, Moscow and points east, Vince will tell you all about that. The heyday of the really long hauls, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan is largely over though, for obvious reasons! But how’s your language skills? At the moment you only need two :laughing: , but here we have at least 25!

Joking apart, I wish you all the best and keep us up to date with your progress.

Salut, David.

Caravan

Welcome I presume you are both Canadian and us their drivng licences - you will need to take a UK driving test when you move over here within the first 12 months unless their is an arrangement to transfer over your allowances.

I know that an Austrilian licence can be swopped for a UK one but I am not sure if the Canadian one can swop.

Could someone point me in the right
direction as to where I can find Coffeeholic
illustrated diaries please :slight_smile: .

trucknetuk.com/ :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link steve_24v. I have not
been on there before as this forum was
the place I came to first by typing
trucking forums uk in google and it was
the 3 rd link in from the top in october
this year but now 2 nd moving up should
be 1 st soon also I have made this forum
my homepage so I dont see Trucknets front
page ( sorry ) but I will check it now from
time to time :slight_smile: .

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … tnG=Search

The Biker:
Caravan

Welcome I presume you are both Canadian and us their drivng licences - you will need to take a UK driving test when you move over here within the first 12 months unless their is an arrangement to transfer over your allowances.

[i]Canadian Licences - Due to information received from the Canadian licensing authorities, it was decided to give all drivers who exchange Canadian licences automatic transmission only. This can only be upgraded to manual upon presentation of confirmation from the relevant licensing authority of a manual test being passed or a manual test is passed in this country.For licences from Canada, provided documentary evidence can be produced that a test has been passed in a vehicle with manual transmission, then a licence will be issued with both manual and automatic entitlement. Without this evidence, licences will be issued limited to automatics only.

I know that an Austrilian licence can be swopped for a UK one but I am not sure if the Canadian one can swop.

[/i]

I’m from NZ and yes they will exchange my car licence, but since 1997 they will not exchange my truck licence do any countries truck licence (but they will accept EU licences), so I’m going to school again

Hi Ska, welcome to TrucknetUK. Nice to have a different perspective around :wink: .

Cheers

Ian.

Welcome to TrucknetUK ska :slight_smile:

Spardo:
Caravan,
You bringing that motor with you? Looks nice. Probably wouldn’t fit in our length limits although more and more I see in France blokes getting away with bonneted trucks coupled to max. length trailers. Apparently!

I think you guys drive much nicer equipment than we do. I think european trucks are technologically much more advanced and safety unparalleled. Actually, the Volvo I drive right now disappointed me greatly. And the ■■■■■■■ ISX that it is equiped with honestly ■■■■■. From fuel economy to pulling power.
The only benefit of trucks on our side of the pond , the way I see it, is the sleeper size. :slight_smile:

Spardo:
Caravan,
If you are used to those kind of runs - Toronto/Dallas - I would advise you to plump for Euro work. It would drive you mad pottering about England, the traffic is horrendous and I for one don’t regret for a minute emigrating.

To get that kind of distance in the EU would be roughly equivalent to London, England to Seville in Southern Spain. There are longer runs […]

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: I’d like to stick to the boundaries of the EU. To be on the safe side :slight_smile:
How are you guys being paid ? Here, there are two choices : for owner-operators there’s either a certain set amount per mile (e.g. $ CAD 1.25 )or a percentage of gross freight cost (realistically about 75% if you don’t have your own trailer). For company drivers there’s a rate per mile plus some money per drop / pick up if it’s a LTL work (e.g. $ CAD 0.40 per mile + $25 for pick / drop) . What about over there ?

The police are of course just brutal over there. Reading Coffeeholics’s diaries I was appalled and outraged by this:

"I was clocked at 87 km/h further down the hill when the limit is 80 km and they are keen to relieve me of some hard earned cash, 300 Swiss francs (£115) "

This is unheard of over here. Maybe in some spot, certainly not as a general rule… Usually you can easilly go 10 km/h over limit without any consequences…

I don’t want to even imagine what are fines like in the EU for being overweight on an axle… Or, God forbid, past driving hours limit… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

caravan, if you ever make it over there as a driver, tell me which trucks are more comfortable. I’m currently in a 2000 freightliner fld with a rockwell ■■■■■■ on neway suspension. and i think the rest of the hardware is merriter. i think i have cheapo talladega seats as well. this truck rides better than most but a hydraulic clutch would really be nice in heavy traffic. also the rockwell could be a bit easier to use. it seems to snap into gear. not a big deal until i tore my shoulder up a few years ago while rock climbing. i knew i should have gone with an eaton

gorgeousload:
caravan, if you ever make it over there as a driver, tell me which trucks are more comfortable. I’m currently in a 2000 freightliner fld with a rockwell ■■■■■■ on neway suspension. and i think the rest of the hardware is merriter. i think i have cheapo talladega seats as well. this truck rides better than most but a hydraulic clutch would really be nice in heavy traffic. also the rockwell could be a bit easier to use. it seems to snap into gear. not a big deal until i tore my shoulder up a few years ago while rock climbing. i knew i should have gone with an eaton

For sure you would have been better off with an Eaton. Specifically, 13 speed OD. Hydraulic clutch isn’t available here, you do know that… I like the way FLD drives, it does have one shortcoming though - in heavy winds it’s very cold inside; it seems that those doors are not sealed at all. Oh well, they don’t make the FLD anymore.

caravan:
I like the way FLD drives, it does have one shortcoming though - in heavy winds it’s very cold inside; it seems that those doors are not sealed at all. Oh well, they don’t make the FLD anymore.

Bet you can’t wait till you get over here, caravan, last time I heard a comment like that was back in the 80’s!
Salut, David.