Moving on After Residency

Hi guys.

Over the past couple of years, I have offered advice on this forum about moving to to Canada, and I hope I have helped some of you to make the move over armed with information that made the move over.

It’s true that if you are on a PNP you’re not going to get the best jobs at first. Most immigrants to any country ddon’t get the best jobs fresh off the boat in any country and Canada is no exception. What Canadian truck driver can land a good driving job in the UK? I as a Canadian and also a British citizen know full well that if I move to the UK, it will take me a year or so being a bottom feeder doing the jobs that others who are well established in the industry don’t want, however I do know that I would have to do those jobs before I would get a good one.

I have read on here that some of the Brits have moved on to better jobs once they get their land immigrant status. What i would like to know is, what companies have you guys moved onto and why?

I have been away from the trucking industry for many years now. For the past 12 years I’ve been living in South Korea, and it’s now getting closer to the time where I have to leave here, and can’t decide if I should move back to Canada or the UK. In the UK, I have no resources except for a house down on the I.O.W. I know that for the first year or so, my income would be less that 30.000 pounds a year (half of what I make here) but know that I can do more after some time. At my age (46) it would be difficult to land an office job so truck driving is probably the best thing I can do for the first little while.

Moving to Canada would be much easier. I drove there before but mostly in the oil industry with tankers. I know how much the drivers make and it’s a pretty good wage. The owners of the trucks also make pretty good coin. The downside is that most of the jobs were in areas where most people don’t want to live and quite often have to live in camps for a couple of weeks or more at a time.

For those of you who have moved on to better things, can you please let me know in some detail as to what you moved onto to help me decide on what I should do.

Any of you working for Westcan or another tanker hauler in Canada? What are your salaries now that you have your landed immigrant status?