Moving House

Hi all, planning on moving house in a few weeks,
What do I need to send to Dvla to get changed, Licence Digi Adr etc ? what do I need to copy first so they don’t mess it up and how long should it take ?
Can i work without them etc ?

Many thanks :slight_smile: David.

Personnally I’d be inclined to get a duplicate licence before you send the original away to have the address changed. It may cost £20 and not be strictly legal but it could save a lot of hassle if they miss an entitlement off as they probably wouldn’t accept a photocopy.

Dont apply for a duplicate then send off the original the dvla will think you are up to something.
You can drive with no licence on a photocopy but register the letter that you send to the dvla so you have proof .
As for digi card apply for a new one with your new adress on .
IF you drive abroad dont until you have your new licence EU member states take a dim view of this.

DO NOT send off your ADR license. A new one will come with the new address automatically when you change your driving license.

If sending anything to DVLA -

Scan both sides of everything and print off a copy of each as well as saving the scan in the PC.

If possible get a ‘professional’ person (people who are listed for passport signing) to sign the copies

The original driving licence can be sent back to you if you enclose a Stamped self addressed envelope.
DVLA put a hole through the photo on the driving licence and you get it back.
I do not know if the same can be done for other DVLA issued cards.

DVLA Tel. 01792 782 341

Just doing this myself.

Sort your licence out first, just send it off and get it changed, make sure you take a photocopy just in case it comes back wrong.

Once you’ve got it back you’ll need a digi card application form, fill it out and send it off, but you keep your digi card as you have to nominate a DVLA office or testing station to exchange it at.

For both things there are no fees, just ensure your data is downloaded before you exchange your card.

Henrys cat:
you’ll need a digi card application form

DIGI CARD Change of address
You can print off this form (COLOUR ONLY) and use it for your change of address application.

Lycanthrope:
Hi all, planning on moving house in a few weeks,
What do I need to send to Dvla to get changed, Licence Digi Adr etc ? what do I need to copy first so they don’t mess it up and how long should it take ?
Can i work without them etc ?

Many thanks :slight_smile: David.

Hi mate,

Rew has this one spot-on. :smiley:

Do NOT send your ADR licence to Swansea.
If your main driving licence is away for a change of address as per legal requirement, then I can tell you that the same rule DOESN’T apply to your ADR. You MUST retain the original ADR certificate at all times.
There is NO seven-day option to produce an ADR certificate, neither is there a good excuse, even if you lose it.

Just to play safe, I’d put a little covering note in with your normal driving licence to remind them to issue you a new ADR certificate, but even the little note isn’t required by law, because your ADR certificate automatically links with your driver number and driver records at DVLA. The tip about photocopying/scanning your driving licence (both parts) is a good one IMHO, because DVLA have been known to ‘forget’ about some entitlements. :open_mouth:

:bulb: You should only ever use the latest issued ADR certificate, because if you’re stop-checked, they will know which one you should be using anyway. :wink:

Good luck with moving house. :smiley:

Thanks everyone for your advice and help :wink: I’ll let you know how it goes when I send the stuff off :stuck_out_tongue:

Who knows, maybe they might give me some extra entitlements instead of losing them :stuck_out_tongue: Bus Bike and Tracked Vehicles maybe ? : :grimacing:

Im moving soon myself but have a quandry. Im agency and the place where i work photocopies my licence everyday. No licence no work. Same for digi card. Last time mine was faulty they wouldnt let me work more than a few days without it.

phil the book:
IF you drive abroad dont until you have your new licence EU member states take a dim view of this.

Nonsense, just take a photocopy of the licence, both parts and a photopcopy of the change of address form with you over the water and it will be fine. I’ve done that a couple of times for change of address and a few times when mine has been away having points added, in that case photocopy the FPN and take that with you. Never been a problem when stopped over the water in these circumstances, Germany, Belgium, France, and I’ve explained and shown the documents. I know other drivers who have done this and also never had a problem.

I’ve just moved back to the hebrides an the nearest test station to me would be inverness or glasgow, both of which would involve an overnight stay. What should i do about getting the address on my digi tacho changed?

i have all this to go through son when i move asap