Moving empty trailers...type of licence needed?

can anyone advise if or what type of O licence is needed to move empty tailers, say from town A to town B?

Thanks in advance

I would guess that if the job is simply to move a trailer then the trailer would count as the goods and so the logical next question would be “are they your trailers or someone else’s”.

If they are your own trailers then restricted would be enough, if they’re someone elses then I would think you would need a standard licence.

Paul

They are somebody elses, I thought standard but wasn’t 100% as there were no actual goods on board. Trailer would be classed as the goods now I take it.

Thanks fore replying.

Much appreciated.

routier:
They are somebody elses, I thought standard but wasn’t 100% as there were no actual goods on board. Trailer would be classed as the goods now I take it.

That is what I would assume, don’t take it as gospel though as I have nothing official to back my assumptions up…

Paul

I’d suggest that it actually has nothing to do with the trailer itself, merely the fact that you would be using a commercial vehicle for hire and reward, hence as you rightly assume the need for a standard O-licence.

Standard National if in the same country :laughing:

hitch:
Standard National if in the same country :laughing:

This +1

there is a well known company that specialses in moving empty trailers around
Most of their work is delivering new stock from the manufacturer but they have been known to be contracted to move assets from a quiet area to a busy area. All their units are downrated so they cannot pull a loaded trailer.

A few years ago they had a long chat with the TC as they felt they were not hauling goods for hire and reward… the TC felt differently and that in this case the trailer itself became the goods, as they were being paid to deliver it from A to B.

Great replies fellas, thanks to all.

Much appreciated.