Moving back to Blighty

Hello all,
Just wanted to start by saying that this site has been a wealth of information for me, so thanks for that!
I’m 38 and currently living in Cancun, Mexico for the last 8 years and Florida before that but I want to move back to England.

I really want to get into HGV driving, as driving is the only job I enjoy, due to the fact that everyday I feel like I’m traveling and not stuck in one place.

Seems like there’s plenty of work going round my way Rugby/Magna Park?

I’ve been reading a lot of people complaining about how bad trucking is these days on other sites, no money etc. so really my question is…is it as bad as many people on the internet say? I’d realistically want to be bringing in about 23k after 2 or 3 years or so — is this realistic?

People also say about the hours etc.

At the moment I work a six day week 9-6 Mon to Sat in an office. 6 days paid holiday a year. Xmas day and New Years day off. No healthcare (pay extra for that). 22% tax taken out of the whole amount, not a sliding scale. No pension (state or private).
How does trucking compare? Surely it’s better than that?

On the upside I own a house with a pool, travel 5 minutes to work, drink all you want for a tenner at the local pub  - but the no healthcare/pension thing is really starting to scare me as the years roll on and England is a fantastic country, each year I go back I’m always amazed with all the excellent services and benefits available.

Sorry for the long post!

Best advise I could give you, is stay where you are! This place is getting worse by the day. Some big changes around rugby these days, used to be my old stomping ground :slight_smile:

Wait till the romanians get legal rights.the ■■■ will hit the fan

matkirk:
Seems like there’s plenty of work going round my way Rugby/Magna Park?

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. It’s probably the same job being advertised by 16 different agencies.

Like previous contributions to this subject dont bother moving back to the UK and likewise if you do stay well away from HGV driving.

I would stay where you are and worry about the pension when your about about 77, then think about coming back to this place… :wink:

I would stay where you are and worry about the pension when your about about 77, then think about coming back to this place… :wink:

Thanks for the replies - sounds pretty sh*t over there then? Although UK has to be a lot better than Mexico (other than the sun, beaches and latina fanny :slight_smile:

matkirk:
Thanks for the replies - sounds pretty sh*t over there then? Although UK has to be a lot better than Mexico (other than the sun, beaches and latina fanny :slight_smile:

Well we’re all waiting to hear how Uk-istan is vastly superior…

why not move back to florida and get a driving job there ? as you could get long haul and visit all areas , i am 29 and from where i am standing your grass seems alot more greener