move to turkey

ive asked this question b4.my mates just bought a bar in marmaris turkey.he wants to take his car over there.would it be better to drive it or container it or car transport it.if he drives which would be best route.

Has he asked at the local embassy
what the costs will be to import the
car into the country.,to see it it is worth
the trouble,
the cheapest way will be to let the experts
take the car into the country as they will
know all the ins and outs, try asking the
haulage companys what it will cost
ASTRANS; DAVIS TURNER;
YOUNGTURK; WILLI BETZ;
are just a sample there are many
who can do the job.

Get the boat (Superfast, Minoan Lines, or Anek Lines) from Ancona (Italy) to Patras (Greece) over to Athens and up and round basically. A nice scenic drive with a day on a boat.

Legal and financial problem rather than transport one.
No problem with driving it all the way down there - unless he realy minds long distance driving.
Shipping it over will certainly be much more expensive but hassle-free (the only hassle being the choice of haulier).

If I was him I’d try to have answers for following quesions first:

• How long can one drive a foreign registered car in Turkey for? (Typically 6 months in EU countries, the car must then be registered locally or moved abroad)
  • Can a RHD car be registered in Turkey? (it is not possible in most if not all EU countries unless it’s something special)
  • What sort of taxes and import duties are paid in these individual imports.

Or, he can drive or send the car over and learn the things on the spot.

I’ve imported my motorhome into Turkey about six times now and you are allowed six months but this is as a tourist.

It could be different if the driver has a residents permit which he might have if he owns a bar.

There’s a forum marmarissummer.com/ where the expats should be able to give all the info which is needed.

Don

Peter the Plater and his wife moved out there a few years ago. They had taken their car with them.,but found out that after six months they would have to pay import duties and anually thereafter taxes that would cost more than the cars value. They returned the car to the uk where it was sold. Anything is possible in turkey if you have enough money to spend. I dont think that it is a financially viable proposition to import your car to turkey.
Regards Jamie

A Scot Lost in the Valley’s

prob easier to sell the car here and then buy another one locally when they get there.

declare it as a uk motor if u crash it over there say u were on holiday or if the insurance is cheaper do it vica versa and enjoy the drive down there… i drove to greece in a 206gti when i was 19 w no maps and the car is still down there on irish plates on a holiday… effff the tax man as much as u can