Move To Crick, What do you think?

It seems to be where a lot of the good paying work is. I’m in a rented flat on a months rolling contract and have no ties here, am thinking about moving out of my flat because it’s next to a day centre and a bit noisy I’m not that far down the road actually, Loughborough ish - too far to commute though. I think it may be a good move. The only downside is the 2 year experience thing. I have 18 months or so on artics. What do you think?

By the time you add VAT onto those 18 months it will be close to 2 years experience. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Seriously though, if you can get good work and you have no ties where you are why not go for it, although the residents of Crick my take exception to you being a foreign driver and nicking their work. :wink:

Liberace,

Stop playing that piano and get in to see Jim Hollowell at DDFS, Crick. Tell Jim I recomended you see him. I can’t promise he has any vacancies or that you will get a job, but at least you have a name to talk to. He is very fair and a very good friend of mine.

Otherwise there are a large amount of transport companies in that area, so prospects should be good.

Good luck :wink:

Thanks, Pat, for the info. I’m thinking very much along the lines you pair are. I don’t think I’ll be struggling for work as I start a new job with on agency with Walkers Crisps a week Monday. I think I’ll give them some time to get used to me, then think about a move. They seem to have work comming out of their ears up their :wink: . Where are all the companies based. Is it Magna Park or Crick itself? I may well move somewhere around J19 of the M1. That way I’m nicely positioned for Magna and Crick. I wonder if their’s any canals round their.

Last I heard you were going to join the kiwi’s…

Cold feet :confused: :question:

Liberace:
Where are all the companies based. Is it Magna Park or Crick itself? I may well move somewhere around J19 of the M1. That way I’m nicely positioned for Magna and Crick. I wonder if their’s any canals round their.

There are loads of companies at Magna Park, then Crick has a big Tesco place, and a few smaller ones. Then there’s DIRFT which is almost Crick and has a massive Tesco (Power Logistics - Exel now I think), Tibbett & Brittain, Stobart, Post Office NDC (manpower agency serviced from Lutterworth I believe).

Canal is very near Crick - underneath it actually - housing you are probably looking at Lutterworth or Daventry, Crick village itself is tiny.

Good luck, and good luck on the crisps.

Calv

Rob K:

No, I just need a decent paying job to get me the funds to get over their and if this suits me, then all well and good. I’m wanting to move out of the flat anyway, so why not move to where the work is?

Calv:

Liberace:
Where are all the companies based. Is it Magna Park or Crick itself? I may well move somewhere around J19 of the M1. That way I’m nicely positioned for Magna and Crick. I wonder if their’s any canals round their.

There are loads of companies at Magna Park, then Crick has a big Tesco place, and a few smaller ones. Then there’s DIRFT which is almost Crick and has a massive Tesco (Power Logistics - Exel now I think), Tibbett & Brittain, Stobart, Post Office NDC (manpower agency serviced from Lutterworth I believe).

Canal is very near Crick - underneath it actually - housing you are probably looking at Lutterworth or Daventry, Crick village itself is tiny.

Good luck, and good luck on the crisps.

Calv

Thanks Calv, the reason I asked about the canal is: I can borrow a friends narrowboat for a bit. In the long term (to cover the next six to eight months), I might find something cheap and cheerful in Lutterworth and work my nackers off on the agency I’m starting with once they get used to me :laughing: :sunglasses: .

Liberace:

Rob K:

No, I just need a decent paying job to get me the funds to get over their and if this suits me, then all well and good. I’m wanting to move out of the flat anyway, so why not move to where the work is?

Will the extra outlay for a place at Crick actually be worth it for the marginally better money for class 1 work there :question:. I think you might find that you gain very little financially and is all the hassle of moving your gear etc worth it :question:

Have a look at the JobCentre website for jobs in that area and you’ll see what I mean. Yeah all the agencies all claim £16/hr and earnings of £1000/week but be realistic - these jobs involve working maximum hours on weekend nights to get that sort of money. I’d be surprised if you find an agency that’ll pay you more £9/hr on days.

Maybe I’m being unnecessarily cynical but I’ve burned my fingers too many times…

No Rob, you’r actually talking sense for a change (someone really has stolen your username) :laughing:. It’s just come to a point where I’ve got to move rather than sit here and stagnate for the rest of my life. I think that’s the real reason if I’m totally honest, and I’ve come to that conclusion after a few beers and some soul searching ( not driving 'till late afternoon tomorrow). I think I’m going to give the Walkers Crisps lark a try and let the agency get used to me, then decide. Thanks all :wink: .

Ian.

Accomodation is cheap enough in Atherstone and Nuneaton and the work is pouring out of the wood work, with Tesco, Tnt, Bhs ect ect your are in a comutable distance to Crick, Rugby, Hinkley ect. Oh and plenty of canals!