Motorway service areas parking charges

can anybody tell me if this is correct…motorway service area operators cannot enforce parking fines themselves or through other agencies,because the land they are operating from, they are not the owner of it,it is public carriageway land and they are sub letting it from whoever,point is they cannot sub let it to anyone else,this means that if you are sleeping in your cab they are not legally allowed to sub let it to you,im told that fines are threatened by all sorts of collection agencies but never followed up can anybody confirm this.they know that if it went to court they are in the wrong and this is why fines are not taken to court…anybody got a lawyer handy ■■?

Interesting point but I dont think the land owner is relevant. Its no different to ASDA sub contracting their parking to an outside firm. Any signs in the car park will state you are entering a contract with the parking company who are acting in behalf of the owner.
As to how enforcable the tickets are, there’s lots of threads and a whole forum dedicated to avoid paying them. There’s currently another parking thread from here today with links to the other site.

Most offer two hours free and after that they are providing a service, just like using the showers or buying a cuppa, they are or have paid for the land so they have the right to charge for its use, you wouldn’t try and wriggle out of paying airport car park charges would you?

I never pay on msa, they send maybe three letters then it goes quiet ! I used to pay but about 3 years ago I got sick of ■■■■ service and dirty showers! Knackers to em!!!
I’ve not had a summons yet

Trouble is…I work in a hired truck all of the time. So the “Invoice” would be sent to the hire company, not my boss. I know the boss wouldn’t be bothered, but the hire company may not be so. :open_mouth:

bigvern1:
Trouble is…I work in a hired truck all of the time. So the “Invoice” would be sent to the hire company, not my boss. I know the boss wouldn’t be bothered, but the hire company may not be so. :open_mouth:

The hire company would just forward it to ur boss as they won’t have the drivers details

That’s what I mean, the Hire company won’t pay it. They’ll pass it on, but they will get ■■■■■■ off if the letters keep coming seeking payment.

I know its an old thread but an old hand told the he never pays for services in Scotland but pays south of the border, is it that the motorway operators cant enforce them up here :question:

I know this is an old post but someone my come across this post and find it interesting. A member of our family is a barrister and told me that it is illegal to charge parking on a motorway service area as all motorway service areas are owned by the government and it is illegal to sub let government land meaning the parking area. Still , i am not sure but it is what she tells me.

col1957:
I know this is an old post but someone my come across this post and find it interesting. A member of our family is a barrister and told me that it is illegal to charge parking on a motorway service area as all motorway service areas are owned by the government and it is illegal to sub let government land meaning the parking area. Still , i am not sure but it is what she tells me.

I was told the same 15 years ago, am also told that they got the terms and conditions changed so they could charge

I’m not saying don’t pay but if payment does slip your mind and you end up with an invoice, challenge it to the company as they have not had a Genuine Pre Estimate of Loss.

The PPC will reject your challenge but should send you a POPLA code, or a code to the IAS.

Once again, challenge with GPEOL. Guaranteed winner at POPLA. The IAS will go against you as they guarantee an 80% win rate for their customers i.e. it’s rigged against you.

If it’s IAS, at this point, ignore them and everything else. It hasn’t been proved yet but the suspicion is that the PPCs that use the IAS system have been told not to put their business model near a court.

kaode:
I know its an old thread but an old hand told the he never pays for services in Scotland but pays south of the border, is it that the motorway operators cant enforce them up here :question:

This is true. No private parking company can issue “fines” for not paying for parking in Scotland. It is illegal for anyone other than the local authority (council) and the police to issue fines. If they do they are invoices and cannot be legally enforced. No one has been taken to court in Scotland yet and they never will be because the companies know it’s illegal.