Motorway Roadworks - 50 mph or 56 mph Speed Limit?

The usual speed limit approaching Motorway Roadworks is 50 mph.

Would it be an advantage or disadvantage if the limit was raised to 56 mph ?

Clearly an advantage to all travelers as they could go faster but a disadvantage to the motorway workers and all involved in h & s.
Daft question really. :confused:

bald bloke:
Clearly an advantage to all travelers as they could go faster but a disadvantage to the motorway workers and all involved in h & s.

lol +1

bald bloke:

that is if you can find the workers!!! why not flashing lights on entry to let you know actual work men are working??

General government guideline for prosecuting speeding offences is, Speed Limit + 10% + 2mph.
So on a 50mph limit, you wouldn’t normally be prosecuted unless you were exceeding 57mph.
30mph limit would be 35mpg.

legin66:
that is if you can find the workers!!! why not flashing lights on entry to let you know actual work men are working??

Or why not just do what they do in other countries - once the work starts it’s carried out 24 hours a day until it’s finished.
Roadworks would be finished in days rather than weeks, less disruption on the roads, less exposure to the workers.
Or is that too much common sense for this country?

legin66:

bald bloke:

So true especially when working nights! Once between Kendal and Penrith I passed 4 sets, one even taking up two lanes, and not a single worker in sight!

in a worst case scenario, i wonder what the difference would be if a roadworker was struck by a vehicle at 56 mph, as opposed to 50mph?
i’m sure it will stay at 50, which suits me, as if it says 50 thats what i’ll do, if its 40, i do 40.
don’t think it matters to much anyway, as if it stays at 50, they’ll always be a micra in lane 2 doing 45, and (insert any car here) doing 46 in lane 3. they are the secret society of roadwork speed enforcement police.

the workers that stick those cones out on a nightly basis at the start of a lane closure must see some really close calls, i wouldn’t fancy their job with some of the divs on the roads.

Well, I’d say the difference between 50 & 56 wouldn’t make anyone any less squashed but it might give them just enough time to get out the way. The difference between 30 and 40 is supposedly the likely difference between life and death, i.e. you are likely to survive being hit at the former speed but not the latter.

In My Very Honest Opinion, ( I think that should be a IMVHO ) and in the name of Road Safety, I think that fewer cars would be rammed up the rear by Big Nasty Trucks if they tootled along at 56 mph in Motorway Roadworks - even less ramming at 60.

I hate losing my momentum when I’m on the vinegar stroke at 56.

. . . and more trucks should have FlyByWire Radar fitted to their SatNavs for those ooh so foggy days.

Did a short spell on the TM side of things and let’s face it people go as fast as they like through roadworks and when see a motor bearing down on you at 70 mph you learn to shift very quickly lol some of the so called ‘professional’ drivers are just as bad. Over here in Canada and down in the US speed fines are doubled when workers are around and they norm start at about $300 that’s a pretty good incentive to keep your speed down and it works to

UK are starting to use more AVERAGE SPEED cameras on motorways, calculated by using a number of cameras over a certain set distance.

I’m not bothered what speed limit they set anywhere whether it be 30, 40 or 50! I just wish other driver would stick to it and not keep slowing down - especially with average speed cameras :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: If the road ahead is clear and safe to do the limit them do it :imp:

I have followed other drivers :unamused: sorry licence holders through road works for mile after mile at 50 mph no problem then they come up to an average speed camera and slow down to 40 :imp: :imp:

cieranc:
General government guideline for prosecuting speeding offences is, Speed Limit + 10% + 2mph.
So on a 50mph limit, you wouldn’t normally be prosecuted unless you were exceeding 57mph.
30mph limit would be 35mpg.

So the speed limit is 35mpg is it? :smiley: Not in my truck but I wish mate, I wish.

I will stick to doing 60 for the first bit and then 30 for the second bit, seems to ■■■■ off more drivers does that :sunglasses: No law against it yet.

cieranc:
General Government guideline for prosecuting speeding offences is

Speed Limit + 10% + 2 mph.

On a 50 mph limit you wouldn’t normally be prosecuted unless you were exceeding 57 mph.

The 30 mph limit would be 35 mph.

Individual Police forces can use their own discretion on speeding.
It’s the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) that suggests the above.

I’m sure that it would be a different matter if you had a RTC at 10% + 2.

WORTH READING:
which.co.uk/cars/driving/dri … ur-rights/

50 or 56 won’t make any difference, car drivers will still slow us all down to a standstill, people don’t seem to understand the term ‘average speed’…

Pimpdaddy:
50 or 56 won’t make any difference.

Car drivers will still slow us all down to a standstill.

I hope you’re wrong but I fear you’re right.

Delays cost this country (and therefore us - The People) an absolute fortune.

I demand a Ministry of Speeding Things Up.