Motorway Parking (Hard Shoulder)

j.gooch:
Are you telling me that it wasn’t water, in the hole I stepped in getting out of the truck at Reading Services yesterday■■?

Most probably wasn’t water no, even if it was water, it would be laced with some amount of urine I’d guess :open_mouth:

truckermarcus:
we pay it in all the other member states we travel in! but none off them pay to use our roads!
go and read your guardian!

i’m sorry to say i’m not a guardianista i prefer the daily mail, more my political point of view
my comment was made because too many people have a go at us foreigners for not paying road tax when we pay in our own country as do the uk trucks and when abroad we all have a choice of peage roads or free roads. any complaints about uk road tax should be aimed at uk politicians if they could be bothered to listen as they too busy taking your hard earned taxes to pay for non existant mortgages or cleaning moats

garnerlives:

j.gooch:
Are you telling me that it wasn’t water, in the hole I stepped in getting out of the truck at Reading Services yesterday■■?

Most probably wasn’t water no, even if it was water, it would be laced with some amount of urine I’d guess :open_mouth:

could have bottled it and sold it as adblue :open_mouth:

j.gooch:
It is about time our Government, Police and VOSA looked at the professional conduct of our own hauliers…
Marina

I nearly fell off the seat laughing so hard :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Woman. You have no clue! Now go back to being horrified in front of the sink :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

mind you, Clacket ln MSA are the most expensive ones in the UK as far as i’m aware…no wonder no-one wants to park in there…correct me if i’m wrong but its 28 quid with and i think 24-25 without meal voucher…

ridiculously expensive…

I’ve had nights out on the hard shoulder of Italian motorways. Wonder if there were posts about that on TruckNetIT.com :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

Well Breaker One Nine - you really know how to upset the fairer ■■■ don’t you. How old are you… for your information I am a company director of two companies - I earn my living, and have the ability to speak for myself thank you - I have every right to state my opinion - we are a democratic counry with the freedom of speech - apparently!!! I spoke out on what I considered to be a road safety issue - and yes i was horrified at what I saw…over to you…Maggie Thatcher lives on

Mrs Angry (aka Marina)

Yes I’ve got a soap box and yes I will use it!

j.gooch:
A 45 minute break can easily be taken on UK MSA’s as they allow 2 hours free parking■■? You were talking about overnight parking charge…

Last week at around midday i could not get a space on Keele or Sandbach services, absolutely full both of them.

I think it is mostly because the drivers are not used to driving in such heavy traffic conditions and they run out of hours. With a digital tacho this is something which is flagged up to them and so they stop.The problem is caused by the woeful lack of parking places in the UK.

@Harry, they goverments of the UK have know this for years, space for parking has not improved since 1965, and the layout of the roads is one that means that drivesr of lorrys have problems, I belive that the officals are frightened in case the Travellers park there vehicles in a laybye and make a camp out of it, this does not happen in europe so why should it happen in the UK; plus where are the tolilets for people when on the road, it has been proven that human effluance and urine damages the enviroment(even if the french do still use it); LET THEM TAKE A TRIP ABROAD AND SEE HOW THE EUROPEANS DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM; jesus what do we need to get the goverment to do something, By the way Germany has its problems as well and we need over here at least 200,000 places for lorrys as well because of the servere increase
of traffic transitting germany, alone

If you come down the M40 heading towards Dover, there was, until recently, nowhere to take a break between Oxford and Clacket Lane, a distance of 80 miles. Even now, there is just one new MSA (Beaconsfield).

In France, for example, there would be four or five MSAs in that space and the same number of large unmanned lay-bys with picnic areas, play areas and toilets which are serviced several times a day. You rarely have to travel more than 20km (12 miles) between stopping places

Don’t blame the Romanian at the wheel for the failings of British polticians!

In fairness there is only so much money the government has to spend. Obviously it’s far more important to provide moat cleaning services, duck houses, & £18k bookshelfs for MPs rather than spending it on UK inc’s infrastructure.
When you do spend money on the roads of course, priority must go to installing endless power sapping matrix signs that 90% of the time display inaccurate, or pointless information.(eg it;s cold & snowing so helpfully you’ll see a message “Caution-WInter Driving Conditions”.Thanks for the info) :unamused:

This is true, although my favourite motorway signs are the ones that say “fog” in the middle of August when there isn’t any fog.

welshboyinspain:
as much as i completely agree with your rant over the state of the haulage industry because of these “professional” drivers i have to ask as a british driver who drives a foreign truck the following question;
if you enter a MSA in the uk and your time is up why should you pay at least 20quid to park when the law says you must take your break and their is nowhere to park? the price is extortionate and usually the facilities are dreadful.
if you were to drive in any other country in europe this would not happen so isn’t it about time the uk drivers said “no more” to overpriced and substandard parking?

after the euroelections i will be heading a campaign to have something done about it. i have support from a haulier who was pushing the issue on his own. he was pleased to see another member of the haulage industry bring the subject of parking up. im giving it another couple of weeks so they cant use the election as an excuse. then we will see whats what

Thank you Scanny - nice to read constructive comments at long last to my earlier rant. We all need to get together collectively and get it sorted.

Marina (aka Mrs Angry) - who despite what ‘Breaker One Nine’ thinks is not tied to a kitchen sink…

I had the misfortune of breaking down at Clackett lane services last week. I had to get under the truck to fix it but thought better of it, considering the stench of urine. Tilted the cab in the end and battered the starter back into life with about 15 mins before my 2 hours of “free parking” ran out and id either get clamped or be forced to pay £28.

The life of a lorry driver is not very glamourous at times.

j.gooch:
Thank you Scanny - nice to read constructive comments at long last to my earlier rant. We all need to get together collectively and get it sorted.

Marina (aka Mrs Angry) - who despite what ‘Breaker One Nine’ thinks is not tied to a kitchen sink…

this is bringing up a point about road safety that adds to my arguement against speed cameras. trucks parking on the hard shoulder is obviously not very safe but what is the governments answer to road safety? speed cameras! they save lives blah blah blah. ok, these trucks are stationary so where does a speed camera fit into the equation? it doesnt so we need to scrap them and employ more traffic cops who can deal with the real problems with road safety rather than only one offence which is, in reality, not strictly speaking a safety issue in most cases. driving a car at 80 MPH on an empty motorway is hardly dangerous. a camera would get you, a traffic officer would probably not bother unless there was another obvious offence being committed (serious defect for example) and this thread brings up another example of why cops are better than cameras

The reason behind the lack of decent parking areas with security and good facilities is that they cant make it pay. Nobody is interested in doing anything unless they can make money from it, including the government. They should be fulfilling their social responsibilities instead of looking for ways of making cash.

Lankytim:
The reason behind the lack of decent parking areas with security and good facilities is that they cant make it pay. Nobody is interested in doing anything unless they can make money from it, including the government. They should be fulfilling their social responsibilities instead of looking for ways of making cash.

i slightly disagree with you there there is no parking cos councils wont give planning, cos people out there just don’t like trucks in there back yard if you no what i mean.

Harry Monk:
This is true, although my favourite motorway signs are the ones that say “fog” in the middle of August when there isn’t any fog.

I saw a cracker yesterday on the M42 N/B by Brum Airport, “ONCOMING VEHICLE” FFS accompanied by “20” speed signs :open_mouth: