"motorway maintenance" cars

Just one of those curiosty killed the cat questions…

Are the people who drive those plain cars with one amber light/stobe lighs on top and a sign on back of the car that says “motorway maintenance” given the same training as HATO’s or are they joe blogs from the office just heping out :question: I only ask as on the M6 today one of those cars was reversing up the hard shoulder, nothing wrong with that but just never seen one of those cars do that before - they only usualy travel forward very slowly… so just wondered are they given basic training or full HATO training :question: :question:

cheers

Cant have had much training if they are reversing on a motorway! :wink:

what about police cars that park on the hard shoulder with the speed gun out(yes ive seen it more than once),or hiding up sliproads waiting to catch their prey?
i thought motorway regulations stated “no stopping on the hard shoulder except in an emergency”.
or is it as i think 1 rule for 1?

The maintenance guys are contractors working for the HA, they’re not HATO’s and dont get the training that we do. The contractors are usually engineers working on the emergency telephones, control panels for the matrix signs etc.

Normally a Mondeo ,flashing lamp ,yellow hi viz on the back shelf ,motorway / highway maintainance sticker;

That will be your local " ■■■■■" then come to Tarmac your drive!

Tricky d

right what buck says,you,ll have all seen the speed camera perched on its platform,on that well known accident black spot,the M180,eastbound,just before scunthorpe,always accidents there!!! not…