Motorcycles.

I’m thinking of selling my car and getting a motorbike, I had a few back in the day, the last one was a Honda CB250 in the days when you could ride a 250 on L plates, but I know the law on riding bikes has changed a million times since then. I passed my car test in 1979.

What could I ride on L plates, and is there a limit on how long I could ride it before I took a test? Would I need to take CBT? Would it be worth taking a full test?

Any other advice welcome. A car just seems a bit “over the top” for the travelling I need to do now.

harry,
on your car licence you can ride a 50cc without doing cbt.you can ride a 125 on L plates but you need to do cbt.i think the limit is two years before you have to take a test.
i’m going to be doing my bike licences next year(want to get a KTM enduro bike and do a bit of green laning).
i’m hoping it wont cost too much,as i’m quite experienced at riding bikes (off road),just never got round to getting a licence…

andrew.s:
harry,
on your car licence you can ride a 50cc without doing cbt.you can ride a 125 on L plates but you need to do cbt.i think the limit is two years before you have to take a test…

Because I’m old I did my test under the old system,but nowadays I think it’s what he said ^^^^

That was case the last time I spoke to anyone about it, but then I heard about direct access and some guff about being able to ride bigger stuff as long as it was limited to 33 bhp. 28 years since I passed mine, so really wouldn’t have a clue

Sent using smoke and mirrors.

You can ride a moped (50cc limited to 50 km/h) on your car licence without L plates.

If you complete the CBT you can ride 125 cc on L plates. The CBT is valid for two years, before you do the test or redo to CBT.

Direct access allows you to ride any size machine once you’ve passed the test, rather than having a restricted licence for two years.
Many trainers will do direct access as a one week intensive course (including the CBT and test).

Go for the direct access. Around £550 and 4 days all in.
If you go for the CBT and 125 option (although I think it’s measured on engine KW now not capacity) you will only regret not going for the full licence.
Just remember to factor in the extra cost of clothing and helmet as these can add up to over £500 on their own.

Where are you basing yourself these days H? If you’re at Braunston, my mate in Brum is an instructor. He’ll sort you out.

bigvern1:
Where are you basing yourself these days H? If you’re at Braunston, my mate in Brum is an instructor. He’ll sort you out.

I am quite close to Brum, maybe a 30 minute drive, I’m going to see if this new job works out and if it does, I will look into taking a test so I’ll be back with more queries.

Just for fun, a pic from 1983 on my K4. I’m not quite as slim now :stuck_out_tongue:

And just for fun,a picture of me from 1999 in a 6hr moped endurance race. Me and motorbikes did that a lot :unamused:

This Honda Goldwing is what I could fancy, This is owned by a old mate of mine Jimmy Blackburn he even tows a caravan, Regards Larry.

Jimmy Blackburn 001.JPG

Are you sure that the pic. is from 1983.?I had a CB125T back then.A modern 125 would do for commuting on nowadays,I havent ridden a motor bike for a long time now.

i passed my test late '70’s on a BSA A10 650cc combo :sunglasses:

i’m still riding these days

Passed my first test in 65 for a bike up to 100cc I was 14, second test for an unlimited bike in August 66 when I was 16 and I,m still riding. That wasn’t in England by the way, good system though.

My good lady and I are having a well deserved week in Cyprus. She lived over here when her ex-husband was based at the army camp,but it’s my first time. We hired a clapped-out 600 Transalp for two days that he charged us 70 euros a day for,and had some fun in the 30° sunshine. There’s some nice roads over here, especially the windy mountain road up to Troodos :smiley: . I recommend it.The trouble is we’ve got the worst bit to do tomorrow,going home :cry:

IMG_0174.JPG

As an aside I don`t get it with trikes? As easy to park, and as nippy in traffic as a car; side impact and weather protection of a bike. Still, each to their own.

I’ve never understood trikes either. Presumably they’re for frustrated motorbike riders with no sense of balance

m1cks:
If you go for the CBT and 125 option (although I think it’s measured on engine KW now not capacity) you will only regret not going for the full licence.
Just remember to factor in the extra cost of clothing and helmet as these can add up to over £500 on their own.

You still need a CBT and theory test, to go for the Direct Access. Going with a 125 for a little while, can help you decide if biking is for you. Picking up a cheap honda crf, yamaha ybr ete these hold resale value(learner bikes), so it’s only a little investment, rather then going balls deep, and you’ve only wasted 90(cbt) + 600-900(125) rather then the whole lot more 90(cbt) + 25(theory) + “550” (DA) + 1000-2500 bike

• quoations around the DA prices, as around Manchester prices are 650, might be different for your area

midlandschoolofmotorcycling.co.uk/

daventrymotorcycleschool.com/

tommymanc:

m1cks:

You still need a CBT and theory test, to go for the Direct Access. Going with a 125 for a little while, can help you decide if biking is for you. Picking up a cheap honda crf, yamaha ybr ete these hold resale value(learner bikes), so it’s only a little investment, rather then going balls deep, and you’ve only wasted 90(cbt) + 600-900(125) rather then the whole lot more 90(cbt) + 25(theory) + “550” (DA) + 1000-2500 bike

• quoations around the DA prices, as around Manchester prices are 650, might be different for your area

My direct access was £550 and that included the CBT (day 1) days 2&3 training and day 4 was training AM with both tests in the PM
Only thing not included was the theory test.

Nobby_Clarke:
I’ve never understood trikes either. Presumably they’re for frustrated motorbike riders with no sense of balance

I could never understand trikes either until I got a medical condition earlier this year that means I will never have the strength or stamina to ride a bike again, I used to ride a Honda CB1100R and now I’m having to seriously consider a trike as the only way to enjoy a ride out.
I know it won’t be the same, but it’s better then being in a car!