Motorbike fuel tank

Evening

I parked my Yamaha 600cc in my shed about 2yrs back and just never really went back in the shed to use it really so I’ve stripped it down ready to put back on the road , done the usual dropped and replaced the oil and coolant, new oil filter and plugs
Came to a halt when I saw how much rust had built up inside the tank, I’ve used white vinegar and nuts and bolts and shook it like a bad dude and flushed it until its clean, then gave it a last flush before I was going to put fuel through and the water was as rusty as the first time flush so I’m trying to find out if anyone has any ideas on sending it away to be flushed and resealed but I’ve come to a dead end really as I can’t really find anyone that does it, anyone done or heard of anything like this being done, any recommendations muchly appreciated

I have a vague recollection of there being a coating solution to counteract the corrosion, but can’t remember if it was DIY or done by a firm.

I would be surprised if there are no firms offering a solution for this.

Good luck!

Yeah there’s a solution called Flowliner that you can try do yourself but I’d prefer to send it away to be done correctly :smiley:, sorry professionally

I’ve heard this mentioned a few times, but not tried it myself…

Dave

Thanks Dave I’ll have a look at that

Evapo-rust is said to be good at cleaning motorcycle fuel tanks, I’ve used hydrochloric acid in the past with good results.

Thanks Harry I’ll have a Google today

kbs-coatings.com.au/product … ealer-kit/

youtu.be/-_SfXRlyXws

Star down under.:
https://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/product/auto-fuel-tank-sealer-kit/

youtu.be/-_SfXRlyXws

Thanks , your a star :confused:
Sorry couldn’t resist :smiley:

The gas man:

Star down under.:
https://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/product/auto-fuel-tank-sealer-kit/

youtu.be/-_SfXRlyXws

Thanks , your a star :confused:
Sorry couldn’t resist :smiley:

:laughing: Hope it works for you, it did for me.

Just read this,
I bought a Yam 600n couple of years ago, had not been used for years.
Anyway, long story short, try some Bilt Hamber concentrated rust remover. The results of this are almost magical, non corrosive and safe.

Bilt Hamber Deox C Concentrated Rust Remover (1000g)

Good Luck

Heres mine after I restored it

IMG_20170313_125559830.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, I spoke to a company yesterday in Wrexham called Red Dragon and they do a complete chemical wash out , he didn’t really recommend a clean out then liner as he says liners will almost certainly separate and make a bigger mess in the tank, its around £150 he said for a complete wash out and it’ll be back to straight of the production line type tank

Well I have the fuel tank flushed and chemically cleaned, all good now so the bikes been put together and hopefully get an MOT slot next week

Looks good, but I think I’d need a Hiab to help me off, after an hour’s ride.
I went to tourers years ago.

Star down under.:
Looks good, but I think I’d need a Hiab to help me off, after an hour’s ride.
I went to tourers years ago.

I fully agree with you on that:-)
I sold my last big bike FJR1300 about 10yrs back and thought that’ll do with bikes, 5yrs later and a drunken Friday night on ebay found this for £1100 local to me and thought yeah why the F not, probably only done about 5k since I have it , spends most of his life in my garage