Motor car drivers to be allowed to drive trucks

Sidevalve:

robroy:

Sidevalve:
I agree with you; but mention DCPC on here, which although not particularly well implemented was a step in that direction, and all you get is howls of protest from people who’ve been doing it for years and think they know it all.

Every day is a school day in this business.

A step in the right direction? Yes, but it’s all show with no real substance.
If it was any good we would have seen a vast improvement in qualities of driving and professionalism.
We ain’t.!
We’ve all done it, but my main objection is why do we have to go through the same old crap every five years.
I get it that rules change, I get it that refreshesrs are a good thing…but 5 sessions?
Surely a one day 8 hour refresher would be ample.
Anybody would think that they are prioritising on the fact that it has became big business,.an industry in fact, and all the money it generated…surely not eh?
Ours are done in our own time unpaid, and I may have felt different in things were not that way. .call me flippant but I’ve got much better things to do in my own time than waste 5 days listening to all that crap.

I’m minded to agree, but it don’t have to be that way. As you know, things have changed now, and you can’t get away with doing the same module five times. My boss makes the most of what’s available; we do a fair bit of ADR, he combines that with a tacho refresher and first aid to cover a spectrum which benefits him and us.

Therefore I’m doing a five yearly drivers hours refresher (which we both agree is a good thing) a week’s ADR course which gives 21 days of DCPC credits meaning no classroom for two years out of the five, and the first aid which again most organisations prefer you to have refreshers for. If other employers were as enlightened, neither they nor their drivers would moan about it so much.

Same with everything in this job mate, there are good firms to work for out there, who actually genuinely value their drivers and look after them, …and then there are others. :unamused:

stu675:

Franglais:
As someone has just pointed out to me, allowing “white van man” to graduate from a transit to a 7.5t Luton van, with no training, and even more parcels to deliver, for the lowest rate possible…
What could possibly go wrong?

There’s no commercial demand for that. Already they typically use Renault Traffic size vans, not the longest highest Sprinter or Crafter available. Because a larger van would slow them down and they’d run out of time before they could empty it. Did you know that the likes of Amazon, in addition to their fleets of vans also use even bigger fleets of private cars, presumably to deliver fewer parcels to a wider area.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I`m not saying that all 3.5t Transit drivers will become 7.5T drivers.
I am saying that if the bar is lowered then the standards of driving of 7.5T vehicles will drop, and that if the bar is further lowered with lower costs regarding DCPC etc then what is currently carried on one 18T will be carried on two cheaper, less regulated vehicles.
I think that unregulated vans are cutting rates for professional drivers, and also think that increasing the ease of giving more capacity to low regulated drivers, will only exacerbate the situation.

Increasing 7.5T vehicles won`t change car use for parcels? Why would it?
Easing access, and making it cheaper to access 7.5T vehicles will make thing worse for 18T vehicles.

robroy:

Sidevalve:
I agree with you; but mention DCPC on here, which although not particularly well implemented was a step in that direction, and all you get is howls of protest from people who’ve been doing it for years and think they know it all.

Every day is a school day in this business.

If it was any good we would have seen a vast improvement in qualities of driving and professionalism.
We ain’t.!
We’ve all done it, but my main objection is why do we have to go through the same old crap every five years.
I get it that rules change, I get it that refreshesrs are a good thing…but 5 sessions?
Anybody would think that they are prioritising on the fact that it has became big business,.an industry in fact, and all the money it generated…surely not eh?
Ours are done in our own time unpaid, and I may have felt different in things were not that way. .call me flippant but I’ve got much better things to do in my own time than waste 5 days listening to all that crap.

1. A professional strives to continually better themselves, Y

2. Your objection to refresher courses show you are not at the required standard you believe you are.

3. And why do you feel you have to be paid for everything, after all why should an employer pay for your qualifications which you could take with you to one of their competitors.

4. If you have better things to do on a weekend then it may be best you find something that satifies you abilities and wishes.

Franglais wrote:
As someone has just pointed out to me, allowing “white van man” to graduate from a transit to a 7.5t Luton van, with no training, and even more parcels to deliver, for the lowest rate possible…
What could possibly go wrong?
There’s no commercial demand for that. Already they typically use Renault Traffic size vans, not the longest highest Sprinter or Crafter available. Because a larger van would slow them down and they’d run out of time before they could empty it. Did you know that the likes of Amazon, in addition to their fleets of vans also use even bigger fleets of private cars, presumably to deliver fewer parcels to a wider area.

Interesting, should a 7.5 ton vehicle be a HGV requirement ? Should a Taxi be a PSV ? Should a Caravan need a separate driving test ? You could also argue if the vehicle is Diesel them it should be registered as a Commercial Vehicle and a Petrol Vehicle as a private. Not forgetting Automatic and Manual gear box are different licensing requirements and standards. Which then brings the question of should a HGV 1 be manual and HGV 1a Automatic, which means HGV 1a can’t drive HGV1 ?
Looking at it overall, the whole regulatory system needs a overhaul, but it will never happen because a change rarely makes money and certainly won’t get someone elected . Plus those who implement the changes have never experienced the task in reality and have no idea what they are suggesting and how it will be affected in reality.

5… 4… 3… 2… 1…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Sabretooth:

robroy:
We ain’t.!

1. A professional strives to continually better themselves, Y

2. Your objection to refresher courses show you are not at the required standard you believe you are.

3. And why do you feel you have to be paid for everything, after all why should an employer pay for your qualifications which you could take with you to one of their competitors.

4. If you have better things to do on a weekend then it may be best you find something that satifies you abilities and wishes.

:laughing: :laughing:
Thanks for the advice and life coaching…I’ve wrote it down for future reference.
If I require anymore,.I’ll get back to you. :wink:

Even if 7.5 tonne entitlement is handed out to car drivers, it won’t be a return to the days when a storeman could jump in and do a local delivery or something like that (CPC required). It would allow say a marquee or scaffold company to use one of the squad to drive the wagon rather than have to send someone with acquired rights or worse hire a driver for the day just to get the squad to the destination.

Actrosman:
Do you mean allowing those that drive cars to go straight to class 1? We have several at my depot already….and yes, their standards and abilities are way lower than those that went up through the ranks over a few years

I went straight to Class 1, in 1986. 6 months later I crossed the channel for the first time (in a truck). Never looked back.

Lonewolf Yorks:

Actrosman:
Do you mean allowing those that drive cars to go straight to class 1? We have several at my depot already….and yes, their standards and abilities are way lower than those that went up through the ranks over a few years

I went straight to Class 1, in 1986. 6 months later I crossed the channel for the first time (in a truck). Never looked back.

Around the sane time, lad I knew started from scratch on an artic from a car provisional licence, he had to have 2 sets of L plates, one standard one HGV.
He used to come with me to practice befire going on a 10 day course, which I paid for incidentally :unamused: …then I took him on day after he passed his test.