Mothertruckers! - A new trucking series on Channel 4

ROG:
For those that missed it - channel4.com/programmes/mothertruckers/4od

missing it would have been a good plan ! They were stitched up by C4 for a cheap laugh !

I watched this programme last night and found it to be quite watchable.

It was one of the few Channel 4 fly on the wall documentaries that WASN’T end to end boredom. I wasn’t bored for a second and happily watched it all.

We saw a tiny insight into the world in which we spend our working lives, but with the added flavour of the subjects being women, something that would have been very unusual only 10 or so years ago.

Each driver had a small plot or story to tell and we got to see some trucks without a lady’s name painted on the front!

As an ex-dancer myself, I was particularly interested in the story of the young lass who had trained as a ballet dancer since she started to walk. During her formative years, dancing was her life and nothing else mattered. To have had her whole future career taken away by a knee damaging accident during a performance must have totally gutted the girl. Her explanation of how/why she took up HGV driving was an insight into the resilience of the human spirit and its ability to adapt and succeed after disappointment. There is a lesson for all of us here in that we should take an example from this when we are kicking ourselves after a test fail or even after a bad day at work or no work

With the recent downturn in the economy and the scarcity of jobs, we should all be prepared to think of alternate methods of earning a crust.

Then there was the story of the driver who had been in the army but had, from early years struggled with gender. How tough would you have to be to say ‘to hell with you all, I am who I am and I will present myself to the world as I feel I am’. Most of us just go along with the flow and interact with others (our peers and employer-masters) in any which way we feel will keep us in employment even if we hate the setup we work for. We don’t ‘make waves’.

The difference between this documentary and the other two that I can recall (Ice Road Truckers, Stobarts) is the focussing on the driver and their lives (social approach), whilst the Ice Road Truckers focussed on the battle with the trucks vs the elements (adversarial) and Eddie’s focussed on er, well, perhaps . . . - oh I don’t know, sorry.

Anyway, I didn’t see anything wrong with the programme. There were no out and out mistaken viewpoints shown that I could see. The show didnt suggest that women were better or worse than blokes at the job and it wasnt full of sick people being dragged into hospital emergency departments and having bandages wrapped around them and doctors and nurses boring me to death like the normal C4 rubbish.

So All in All I give it 7.5 out of 10.

Bye,
LandyLad

were you watching the same programme as we were? it was a load of drivel, fast eddie is a better watch

I might have been asleep actually ■■

I’m interested to know what aspects of the show you didn’t like or connect with.

Yes, it wasn’t thrilling but at least it was a bit different from the usual C4 garbage that is always 100% predictable with pathetic child based background music telling us how we should be feeling emotionally as the narrator announces to us that the little baby in the shot is suffering and will die before the end of the show.

Or that absolute ***** where we are subjected to screaming women having babies on screen and all the midwives running around and technical equipment coming out of their ears and whatever. Like who gives a #### about that? If I wanted to see that sort of crap, I would go into a maternity hospital myself and watch it for real! I dont think so.

Or then that absolute tosh where a millionaire pretends to be an ex druggie looking for work and is forced to give away up to £50,000 to local people and charities. And its always the exact same format and they always use the exact same form of words every episode quote, “I have a bit of a confession to make. Actually I’m not really an ex drugtaker, I am actually a very successful business person and I am a millionaire . . . . . .” like they havent been primed and scripted what to say.

So, taken in the context of the usual C4 ■■■■■ that we are offered, this show was in a different league for once.

Ciaou peeps.

I agree, better than the usual offerings from C4. Credit to the lasses in it too for the realistic points of view we heard.

However…

I have heard a rumour that Channel 4 are planning a new documentary, aimed at a wider audience? It is rumoured to be called:

ExDruggy-MillionaireDragon-CasualtyDoctor-CelebrityChef-GreenElf-Truckers.

:confused:

IMO. Most of the ladies didn’t make a bad fist of what I saw of the prog.
The ballet dancer should stick to ballet dancing though. She will never make a lorry driver as long as she as got a hole in her ****. :wink:

OnlyAlan:
I have heard a rumour that Channel 4 are planning a new documentary, aimed at a wider audience? It is rumoured to be called:

ExDruggy-MillionaireDragon-CasualtyDoctor-CelebrityChef-GreenElf-Truckers.

:confused:

Sponsored by ESL no doubt :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sam Millar:
I think the ladies portrayed the industry well, it wasn’t over hyped or exaggerated like the Stobart series. They’re no different to men and shouldn’t be treated any different.

Go them I say!

one of them wasn’t :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Foxstein:
one of them wasn’t :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Whist I intend no disrespect to those who were involved in this programme, I think it did far more harm than good.

Ok, make programmes about truck drivers if people are interested, but making a programme that sets out to seperate male and female drivers just reinforces the negative views that have hampered women truck drivers for years.

Being in any industry that is predominantly the opposite gender to yourself is always going to be a bit more of a struggle. So the last thing you want is a programme drawing attention to that fact! And if you want to be accepted as a driver on an equal level regardless of gender, then what’s with all the sodding pink! :imp:

So what was the point? That women have it tough in trucking? (then do something else). That women can swear as much as men? (wow - impressed :unamused: ). That women can do anything a man can? (grow up). Or just pushing people’s perceptions back several years (job done)

Wasn’t supposed to be a rant, but I went with it :neutral_face:

grumpybum:
Whist I intend no disrespect to those who were involved in this programme, I think it did far more harm than good.

Ok, make programmes about truck drivers if people are interested, but making a programme that sets out to seperate male and female drivers just reinforces the negative views that have hampered women truck drivers for years.

Being in any industry that is predominantly the opposite gender to yourself is always going to be a bit more of a struggle. So the last thing you want is a programme drawing attention to that fact! And if you want to be accepted as a driver on an equal level regardless of gender, then what’s with all the sodding pink! :imp:

So what was the point? That women have it tough in trucking? (then do something else). That women can swear as much as men? (wow - impressed :unamused: ). That women can do anything a man can? (grow up). Or just pushing people’s perceptions back several years (job done)

Wasn’t supposed to be a rant, but I went with it :neutral_face:

I’m kinda with grumpybum on this I watched the program this morning as was working thurs night and the first intros got me a bit miffed when they were asked have you ever had ■■■ in your truck don’t remember anyone being asked that on IRT or Eddie stobbart series :unamused:

I did enjoy watching but why show the gal struggling with reverse gear I’m sure there was countless footage of her doing well why show that bit if not to undermine her :exclamation: I’m sure guys struggle to get a reverse gear in an unfamiliar truck every now n then :wink:

The ■■■ change girl didn’t need to be on either if was about female then I think they put her on for a gimmick as if you saw her arms they were blokes arms , and I don’t wear any makeup when working no point I’m not out on the pull I’m out working ,

Sorry to knock it I did enjoy most of the program just was let down by a few silly highlights ,

My two peneth added :wink:

Jen x