MOT question

Is there a website which let’s you find out when a vehicle was first registered, or if it has a valid MOT?

Why I’m asking is my step son has a 10 plate car which is parked outside our house while he is in Afghanistan doing his bit. I’ve been taking his car for an occasional spin to keep her ship shape for when he gets back at the end of May, but the early 10 plates are now due an MOT. He doesn’t know when the car was first registered (he didn’t buy it new) and all his documents are in camp 200 miles from our house. Would there be a way to find out?

Just had a thought, maybe I’ll ask the dealer.

This gives reg date but not MOT status:

taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPo … ution=e1s1

Thank you mate

gov.uk/check-mot-status-vehicle

Don’t know if this will help. You probably need the reference number from the V5 doc to check the status.

I’d ring DVLA and tell them the circumstances. It’s worth a shot.

Take it for an MoT test anyway. One less thing for the lad to do when he gets back.

Hiya… you can have a mot test any time… if its getting due just get it tested.
sometimes a garage will put a new MOT on a second hand car even if their,s
a couple of months MOT still left on the car…good luck mate
John

mrpj:
This gives reg date but not MOT status:

taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPo … ution=e1s1

Date of registration 09/07/2010
Date of liability 01/08/2013. What the hell does that mean■■?

Anyway, from that info I’d say it doesn’t need an MOT til at least July.
I was gonna have her MOT’d for him anyway but it seems a bit pointless if it’s not due for 4 months.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Date of registration is self-explanatory. Date of liability means the date by which it needs to have had its road tax renewed (or been SORNed)

DaiDap:
I was gonna have her MOT’d for him anyway but it seems a bit pointless if it’s not due for 4 months.

You can present the car up to a month before it’s due and retain the expiry date, ie 09/07/2014.

mrpj:

DaiDap:

You can present the car up to a month before it’s due and retain the expiry date, ie 09/07/2014.

ISTBC, but I think that only applies on second and subsequent tests - on the car’s first MoT (i.e. on its third birthday) I don’t think you can get that “extra month” by presenting it early.

Roymondo:

mrpj:

DaiDap:

ISTBC, but I think that only applies on second and subsequent tests - on the car’s first MoT (i.e. on its third birthday) I don’t think you can get that “extra month” by presenting it early.

you can do it a month early and retain the expiry date on the 1st mot if you present the log book! hth