MOT question.

I was awarded a scholarship for summer language school in Czech Republic this summer. I will need to go there for a month. I will propably go by car, so I can visit some friends on the way and also go home. So I plan to be away for about 5 weeks.

About the time I should be back my MOT runs out.

Can I do my MOT before I leave (this will be more than month before it’s due)?

Also: my insurance says I am allowed to drive abroad for max a month at once - do you think it they will charge me much more if I will tell them that I need to drive abroad for 5 or 6 weeks?

Yes you can, and if it’s more than a month before it’s due, your new mot will be for 13 months, so you won’t lose a month.

weeto:
Yes you can, and if it’s more than a month before it’s due, your new mot will be for 13 months, so you won’t lose a month.

Thanks for quick answer. It’s good that I won’t “loose” one month because of that…

Actually… That’s fun with that 13 months thingy… Can I go back for MOT next day and have another one for 25 months as well? Now, THAT would be cool

weeto:

No it won’t be. You only get a 13 month MOT if you MOT it 4 weeks before the MOT is due. Any earlier than that and its a 12 month MOT.

Still better than coming back and not having one though.

Ah, that’s shame. I was already planning on building up my MOTs for the rest of my life :smiley:

I believe that the new 2011 computers have closed that loophole and you can only retest within 28 days of expiry, if it is due in September and you test it in July, the next test runs out next July.

I was told this by my local MOT garage and they also said if you test them early, and it fails, it will fail from that day and not the original expiry date. If this is true, then that is progress, NOT

Wheel Nut:
I was told this by my local MOT garage and they also said if you test them early, and it fails, it will fail from that day and not the original expiry date. If this is true, then that is progress, NOT

Well, if it takes unroadworthy vehicles off the road, I am all up for it.

Wrong Weeto.
If you go in and renew the MOT that has more than a month to run, your MOT will expire 12 months from the day of test. The 13 month way is if you mot you car just inside the ‘1 month to go’ timescale.

An MOT can be carried out at any time

If the vehicle is tested within the calendar month prior to when the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate. For example, if the current certificate was due to expire on 1 April 2007, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2 March 2007, the certificate would run from the test date until 1 April 2008.
The same rule would also apply when the vehicle is taken in within a calendar month of its first MOT. In this case, the vehicle owner would need to present their registration document.
If the vehicle is tested earlier than one month before its due date, the MOT will only run for twelve months.

They don’t revoke an MOT certificate, so if you get it repaired it would be OK, however if your car is not fit to pass an MOT at any time, it is not roadworthy and shouldn’t be on the road.

orys:
I was awarded a scholarship for summer language school in Czech Republic this summer. I will need to go there for a month. I will propably go by car, so I can visit some friends on the way and also go home. So I plan to be away for about 5 weeks.

About the time I should be back my MOT runs out.

Can I do my MOT before I leave (this will be more than month before it’s due)?

Also: my insurance says I am allowed to drive abroad for max a month at once - do you think it they will charge me much more if I will tell them that I need to drive abroad for 5 or 6 weeks?

if you are driving go via London, and use Mr Clutch, i got an MOT for £21 quid there not sure if it is still on offer but was in December and Oct last year. cant believe your moaning about loosing a couple of weeks mot. also most insurance companies cover for 30. 60 or 90 days … i do not think they would charge extra but just check make sure you carry your insurance with you when in europe also ask your insurance company for proof you are covered if it is not within your insurance papers

discoman:
if you are driving go via London, and use Mr Clutch, i got an MOT for £21 quid there not sure if it is still on offer but was in December and Oct last year. cant believe your moaning about loosing a couple of weeks mot. also most insurance companies cover for 30. 60 or 90 days … i do not think they would charge extra but just check make sure you carry your insurance with you when in europe also ask your insurance company for proof you are covered if it is not within your insurance papers

I can have MOT in Glasgow for 15 so that’s not the problem.

As for “moaning” - sense of humour, go check it out :wink:

My question was simply because I was wondering if I can go for MOT earlier - if I can then there is absolutely no problem for me :slight_smile:

Thanks for the data on the insurance - mine says I can be up to 90 days abroad but no more than 30 at one occassion, so I will propably need to call them.

Thanks for the answer!

There will be a bit on the certificate saying “the earliest you can present your vehicle and maintain the expiry date is…” if it’s before that you lose a month. My stepfather brought a two year old car and took it for an mot because it didn’t have a certificate. That’ll learn him for not listening to me c

Is it really true that if you put it in early, and it fails, you then can’t drive to get another car with the one that’s failed?

This is what I had intended - MOT next week or so, expecting it to fail, original expiry 31st. I was giving myself 2 weeks to drive around finding a replacement that accepts old car as trade in.

:question: :question: :question:

Winseer:
Is it really true that if you put it in early, and it fails, you then can’t drive to get another car with the one that’s failed?

This is what I had intended - MOT next week or so, expecting it to fail, original expiry 31st. I was giving myself 2 weeks to drive around finding a replacement that accepts old car as trade in.

Depends on failure tbh.

The MOT station has a right to stop you driving a dangerous vehicle away and will mark a dangerous fail on the computer, but in the same respect, you can get pulled anytime with a valid mot and have a vehicle check, ever heard of 3 points for a bald tyre etc?

My last mot failure was for scratches on the windscreen, I explained that it would be replaced but wanted to see what else it’d fail on before forking out a fortune on a windscreen, passed everything else, failed on windscreen.

If you test your car in last month and it passes, you can get upto 13mth mot, but if it fails, retest will only give 12mths.

As for your insurance Orys, expect to get anally raped, insurance companies love an excuse to rip us offski

I have no idea what else it might fail on apart from a dodgy handbreak travel.

I’ve got a mudguard missing, but have been told that’s not a fail.

Tyres are OK as far as I can tell. The usual trouble I have with cars and mots in general is corrosion requiring welding, and suspension due to me living in an estate with aggressive speed bumps. :frowning:

I’m expecting this MOT to fail on one or both of these latter points (got a free MOT at halfords?) and don’t want to get the handbrake fixed before I know if the car is worth not scrapping or not!

The important bit is being able to drive to get another car AFTER it’s been failed for any or all of the above. :exclamation:

starfighter:
There will be a bit on the certificate saying “the earliest you can present your vehicle and maintain the expiry date is…” if it’s before that you lose a month. My stepfather brought a two year old car and took it for an mot because it didn’t have a certificate. That’ll learn him for not listening to me c

Hiya… why did he want a mot on his at 2 year old car…to be honest i think they could put the mot date up to 5 years old.
i sold a motor that was 7 years old it never had anything done to it specially for MOT’s. just servicing.
John

3300John:

starfighter:

Hiya… why did he want a mot on his at 2 year old car…to be honest i think they could put the mot date up to 5 years old.
i sold a motor that was 7 years old it never had anything done to it specially for MOT’s. just servicing.
John

He had never had a car less than three years old and didn’t know you didn’t need one. He just saw it didn’t have an MOT certificate and thought the auction had done him. I had a brand new car at the time and kept telling him he didn’t need one but he didn’t listen :open_mouth: :unamused:

I thought cars under manufacturer’s warrentry didn’t need MOT’s. Since this period varies from producer to producer, I figured the time you don’t need an MOT on a new car would vary too?

I can’t drop the ball on getting my own car sorted out, as getting IN codes on a licence would be fatal in this industry! :frowning:

Winseer:
I thought cars under manufacturer’s warrentry didn’t need MOT’s. Since this period varies from producer to producer, I figured the time you don’t need an MOT on a new car would vary too?

No, i don’t think so. It’s in Vienna convention and every car over 3 years old should have MOT. Mine has 5 years of warranty, and my friend drives Kia with 7 years, and vauxhall gives this lifetime warranty now, that would be fun (especially taking into consideration quality of work in Authorised garages) :wink:

orys:

Winseer:

No, i don’t think so. It’s in Vienna convention and every car over 3 years old should have MOT. Mine has 5 years of warranty, and my friend drives Kia with 7 years, and vauxhall gives this lifetime warranty now, that would be fun (especially taking into consideration quality of work in Authorised garages) :wink:

It’s 3 years from date of registration too, not from manufacturing.

waynedl:

Winseer:

Depends on failure tbh.

The MOT station has a right to stop you driving a dangerous vehicle away and will mark a dangerous fail on the computer, but in the same respect, you can get pulled anytime with a valid mot and have a vehicle check, ever heard of 3 points for a bald tyre etc?

My last mot failure was for scratches on the windscreen, I explained that it would be replaced but wanted to see what else it’d fail on before forking out a fortune on a windscreen, passed everything else, failed on windscreen.

If you test your car in last month and it passes, you can get upto 13mth mot, but if it fails, retest will only give 12mths.

As for your insurance Orys, expect to get anally raped, insurance companies love an excuse to rip us offski

I get a free halfords MOT, which I was just going to use to find out what was wrong with it. Since Halfords can’t actually fix the car, I was going to put it into the normal place I get my MOT done, which of course would mean paying anyway. I get a discount for being a regular there. The test they give me for that payment will however be a FIRST test if I were to say:-

Halfords fail it on Handbrake & Emissions (example)
I take it to other garage, and pay for repairs to be done.
I then MOT it either at the same garage, or another one doing a better discount.
Since I know what needs fixing, it has all been done first time around on the MOT I paid for, so I get a NEW mot dated March 31st 2013.

Is there a chance that halfords report say, 2 faults but another MOT station finds another 3, and I end up with an unwanted liability anyway?

Oh, can I offset the cost against end of year income tax PAYE along with mileage & meal expenses?
I don’t think you have to be Self Employed to get offsets.