MOT Issues

Hi,

Ive hit a bit of an issue with my truck… I have come to book the mot and realised that when I put the private plate on the truck about 8 months ago I also had to change the plating certificate. I never knew this. I cant book the test without having that changed so off to vosa testing station tomorrow morning to try sort it…

Other problem is that the current mot expired 3 weeks ago, I have mixed up my months and only realised yesterday that it had run out… Can I change the plating certificate without a valid mot? and am I looking at a grilling for running it without an mot? I made a mistake and took the truck off the road the minute I realised… I have hired a truck to use in the meantime… Expensive mistake this is going to be.

Any advice would be much apriciated

Thanks

Shaun

i have changed the plating certificate at the MoT testing centre before the test, pre advise the person when you come to book the test that you need to change the plating certificate at the test centre before the test

shuttlespanker:
i have changed the plating certificate at the MoT testing centre before the test, pre advise the person when you come to book the test that you need to change the plating certificate at the test centre before the test

Thanks for that, Will I have to phone them up to book like that then? as when I try do it online I have to book it under the old reg number or it wont go through…

Truck MOT does not have an expiry date they run to the end of the month, you need to be booking it in for a test first thing in the morning and mention the plating certificate, it is only a paper exercise as they call them.

You can also book the MOT online with ETB

Shaunm41:

shuttlespanker:

Thanks for that, Will I have to phone them up to book like that then? as when I try do it online I have to book it under the old reg number or it wont go through…

to change the plating certificate, you will need to go to the VOSA test station, and not one of the ATF’s

shuttlespanker:

Shaunm41:

shuttlespanker:

to change the plating certificate, you will need to go to the VOSA test station, and not one of the ATF’s

Yeah Im going to the Leeds testing station mate

Well Thanks to the advice on here I know the test runs untill the end of wednesday… Next question… Chances of getting a test between now and wednesday will be? Im guessing slim to none…

Shaunm41:
Well Thanks to the advice on here I know the test runs untill the end of wednesday… Next question… Chances of getting a test between now and wednesday will be? Im guessing slim to none…

Or even Thursday (31st).
You might be lucky.

Regards,
Nick

don’t limit your options to just one test centre, try a few centres around the area

Sound advice… Cheers lads… And yeah, How stupid am I?? didnt even realise May had 31Days… :smiley:

Also don’t forget to get the tachograph recalibrated as it will have the old reg on the sticker, or in its memory if it’s a digi.

Wagger:
Also don’t forget to get the tachograph recalibrated as it will have the old reg on the sticker, or in its memory if it’s a digi.

Never had to do that with any of mine when I have changed the reg number

Wagger:

I had the analogue tachograph replaced with a digi after the new plate was fitted so that already carries the new reg…

Change paperwork yesterday at vosa leeds, took 5 mins to do…

MOT booked for a week on saturday… Means I have to hire a van next week but beggers cant be choosers eh?

shuttlespanker:

Wagger:

Sometimes if your lucky the plaque in the Tacho carries the chassis no, but most have the reg no on them, if Vosa know you have just changed the plates they will make a beeline for the Tacho plaque just to catch you out.

Wagger:

shuttlespanker:

Wagger:

Sometimes if your lucky the plaque in the Tacho carries the chassis no, but most have the reg no on them, if Vosa know you have just changed the plates they will make a beeline for the Tacho plaque just to catch you out.

As said… Its a digi tacho i had fitted and was calibrated with the new reg number

Isn’t there any leeway once the MOT is booked. I always thought that you could keep them on the road until test day. After all a properly maintained British lorry should pass an MOT on any day of the year, the reasons we have 6 weekly inspections

Wheel Nut:
Isn’t there any leeway once the MOT is booked. I always thought that you could keep them on the road until test day. After all a properly maintained British lorry should pass an MOT on any day of the year, the reasons we have 6 weekly inspections

If the MoT test falls within the month that it expires, then yes, you can keep the truck on the road right up until the test date

But, if the test date falls in the following month(s), then no, the truck must not be used on the road after the end of the month which it expires

If you could use it as you suggested, what would stop people booking an MoT for a truck 6 months after it runs out?

I know that example is a bit extreme, but it highlights the point in question

shuttlespanker:

Wheel Nut:

If the MoT test falls within the month that it expires, then yes, you can keep the truck on the road right up until the test date

But, if the test date falls in the following month(s), then no, the truck must not be used on the road after the end of the month which it expires

If you could use it as you suggested, what would stop people booking an MoT for a truck 6 months after it runs out?

I know that example is a bit extreme, but it highlights the point in question

I know they suggest booking the MOT up to two months in advance but I missed the ferry and I am a week late! Sorry… :stuck_out_tongue:

you must be bang lucky i recently brought a scania of charles russell he kept the plate and dvla issued a new reg no. i want to vosa test station to change the reg number but they wouldnt do it i had to fill in a vtg 10 then send it to swansea with a copy of the new reg doc iv all so got to have the tacho recalibrated this is the only way scania will change the reg number full 6 year all this has took nearly a month the service iv had from vosa is very slow to put it mildly