MOT failure

The Popemobile failed it’s MOT today. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

An air leak to/from the air dryer.

It’s on a full R+M with the local Iveco dealer, near Ipswich, who’ve had it since friday PM for prep.

While I undersand that the buck stops with me as the O licence holder, can any of you wise old birds on here tell me what recourse, if any I have with the “maintainance provider” and whether or not there is some kind of industry ombudsman or watchdog that keep these garages on their toes, or am I looking at a long winded legal option ?

Tough 1 that Goaty, they could argue that it failed whilst in the test centre. U could write a letter to the local TC to explain why your vehicle failed it’s test & explain your maintenance arrangements might help lessen the damage.

Goaty, who took it for MoT?

if you took it, regardless of who prepped it, it goes against you, but on the other hand, if the dealer took it for MoT and it failed, it does not go against you, it goes against them, but they don’t give a toss because they don’t need or have an O Licence to look after

if they booked it in and put it through on there account then the naughty points go to them and not you , however if you booked it in and paid for it then you will score a couple of points on vosa,s traffic light system, thats why the bloke who does my maintenance wont take anyone elses vehicles for test as any failures come back to him

ha ha i was too slow with the reply

i agree with you goaty on this, why should you take the wrap for it?? even tho you was the user, you pay for r+m etc, and they walk away from all defects, shouldnt matter who booked the thing for mot!! i have had this conversation with mi old pal cpt chubbs more time than i can remember,
for argument’s sake, you a haulier who has no mechanical knowledge what so ever poss change a light bulb only! there is people who haven’t no mechanical knowledge and trust others to do it for them , same as us who do traction work only, you collect a trl from the docks vostapo state what you should check so you do your checks etc and all seems fine “you ain’t a mechanic etc” so you check to your best ability and every thing works lights, tyres etc, etc, you get 15 miles down the road and have the pleasure of the vostapos who are all over you and your outfit, and they find say on the trailer you have just collected 30 mins ago that say axle no 2 has no brake linings on the o/side■■? wtf do you know about this you have done the best you can with your basic knowledge to check but that aint good enough to the vostapos oooh no you are issued with a pg9 and its marked against you o lic, same as you goaty r+m does your work ok it may have failed on route to test, but if you get a stop with vostapo as say as i say about trailers why if you have stated on you o lic you have Fred and harry bloggs to under take your r+m should you take the can its a un fair system but that’s why vostapo are here to take advantage of the un fair system as they cant do any thing except quote from a book which any Muppet can do read a book and quote, its a total farce and they say vostapos are here to HELP my crack they are, they system ■■■■■ and aways will do esp to the men who contract out ther r+m to outside contractors time vostapos got off there cracks and started to make the r+m contractors take the punishment!!!
but will that happen not in our life time Jim , if you state on your o lic and stick to r+m with Volvo,scania or who ever they should be held responsible not you,

You learn something everyday !

As I said, it’s thankfully, on an R+M with Norfolk Trucks. They prepped it and took it for test.

Have the rules changed in recent times in regard to this ?

My father in law once went to a TC’s hearing on behalf of Carters, as a witness to the maintainance regime there. They had a lot of MOT failures due to bad head lamp aim and I know for a fact that those particular trucks were all on R+M contracts as well. :confused:

if your father in law went as a witness on behalf of Carters, that would have been against the R+M contractor, not Carters

it does not go against yourself, but it sure give you some ammunition to fire at the bunch of robbing (enter appropriate auto censor word here) for getting it wrong and not doing their job properly, the one that you pay your hard earned for them to do

It’s on R AND M then surely there’s canntract un place surely if the truck failed on Monday and they had is since Friday then could they not be in breach of contract as a minimum surely you have some recourse with them

alix776:
It’s on R AND M then surely there’s canntract un place surely if the truck failed on Monday and they had is since Friday then could they not be in breach of contract as a minimum surely you have some recourse with them

My last truck was under R+M with my local DAF dealer it failed its test because the load sensing valve went “apparently” on the morning of the test. They had had the truck for nearly 2 days and agreed it shouldn`t of happened. My contract was due to finish and to keep the work my maintenance contract for the next twelve months included a substantial discount for the loss of work while my truck was represented for MOT :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

So complain to Norfolk Trucks it will help if you can at least get an apology in writing to pass on to VOSA :confused:

if i understand this correctly the failure goes against the firms ocrs score and the repute of the o licence holder and not the garage. personelly i would walk in to the garage, grab the service manager by the short n curlies, tell him you aint happy that your truck failed and you want it fixed at no cost too you as they have failed in there prep for your mot

annitram:

alix776:

My last truck was under R+M with my local DAF dealer it failed its test because the load sensing valve went “apparently” on the morning of the test. They had had the truck for nearly 2 days and agreed it shouldn`t of happened. My contract was due to finish and to keep the work my maintenance contract for the next twelve months included a substantial discount for the loss of work while my truck was represented for MOT :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

So complain to Norfolk Trucks it will help if you can at least get an apology in writing to pass on to VOSA :confused:

scotstrucker:
if i understand this correctly the failure goes against the firms ocrs score and the repute of the o licence holder and not the garage. personelly i would walk in to the garage, grab the service manager by the short n curlies, tell him you aint happy that your truck failed and you want it fixed at no cost too you as they have failed in there prep for your mot

Just collected the PM from said garage, it’s sat on my drive at the minute.

Just to rub salt in the wound it had developed an “electrical fault” on the washer bottle sensor!
The late shift duly fixed it while I waited.

It really fills you with confidence about the state of their other “work”.

I am at this moment an unhappy bunny. I’m not one of these “BillyBullShitters” that like to tell anyone that’ll listen how hard they are and who they punched out down the boozer last night.
In fact I’m a placid sort of bloke usually BUT as I type this I am finding it very hard not to punch something very ■■■■■■■ hard.

I intend to use this weekend to compile a nice pile of evidence to give their “Manager” next week.

Not only the serious implications for my OL but the extra downtime, lost jobs and disgruntled customers.

Sorry for this immature outburst but if you’re reading it then you may well be interested :exclamation:

8/10 could do better :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you need to work on your forum rants mate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

give em hell fella :smiley:

Just reread it. :blush: It was a bit polite. ■■■■ it, I’ll smash the ■■■■■ teeth down 'is ■■■■■■ throat.

They’ve upset 6’4 & 20 stone of ■■■■■■ pain…

How’s that ?

scotstrucker:

Im inclined to agree with you scotstrucker, as far as im aware, the book stops with the operator regardless of who prepped or presented it for test. I read somewhere the powers at be were looking to bring the repair agents under the big stick regime but it aint happened as yet.
How many motors have failed the test for headlamp aim ? I used to use the local test centre for a brake test, smoke test and aim check the day before the test ( thats when you could pay to use there facilities ). So you pay your money , get to adjust the headlights and then the next day it fails for alignment incorrect. You then say well ■■■■ me he checked them yesterday, i adjusted them as he advised and now there wrong , only to be told ok its near enough. The aim checkers were only as good as the tester using them !!!

Unfortunately regardless of who books it or takes it the test failure will be logged against the vehicle VRM, therefore if this vehicle is specified on your licence you get the fail, totally unfair but a fact, put a note in the vehicle file to explain the circumstances and if you can get a letter from the service manager to confirm the facts, should you then be called to account for the poor test history relating to OCRS you have some form of defence.
As note to all you guys using R&M contracts make sure that the vehicles pass first time and without PRS, i.e.headlamp aim, bulbs, reflectors etc, ask for the grey copy of the PG14 issued by the test station to the presenter, this will contain any advisories or PRS’s relating to the test. You can also request your test history report from VOSA to check (although there is a fee!)
As always if I can help drop me a PM

As mentoned earlier in this thread, you collect a trailer from the docks, you do a good walkround check, replace the odd bulb, tyres ok, no airleaks etc. You get stopped down the road only to be told your getting a PG9 for a broken chassis crossmember on the trailer. are we supposed to get underneath and go round it , how far do you go ■■ . Do we all need to be qualified mechanics aswell. The owner of the trailer has the headache of getting it repaired but your the one with the ticket, fine , points etc. Surely its time the authorities took this into account. :angry: :angry:

philberg182:
As mentoned earlier in this thread, you collect a trailer from the docks, you do a good walkround check, replace the odd bulb, tyres ok, no airleaks etc. You get stopped down the road only to be told your getting a PG9 for a broken chassis crossmember on the trailer. are we supposed to get underneath and go round it , how far do you go ■■ . Do we all need to be qualified mechanics aswell. The owner of the trailer has the headache of getting it repaired but your the one with the ticket, fine , points etc. Surely its time the authorities took this into account. :angry: :angry:

““authorities took this into account”” they aren’t interested in taking things into account Philly burger, all they are interested in is issuing pg9"s its a farce as i keep saying you get marked down for headlight alignment etc, this is hideous but then the vostapos can only go by a book and will quote this to the letter if need to, and what the funny part is they say vostapo are here to help?? UK hauliers “my fat crack they are here to help”" help who as it surely ain’t the haulier of UK origin they just want your money,and then take you to what can only be described as a kangaroo court for punishment ever further dont get me going again with these low lifes

very interesting thread, I thought it was strange when somebody said at the start that it doesn’t go against your OCRS if somebody else took it for test

we’ve had the same trailer fail 2 years on the trot now for what even the examiner would probably agree were minor/borderline points (2% on handbrake last year :unamused: ), and it annoys me that this will probably flag us up, when all units pass first time, our self-imposed 6 weeklys are ALWAYS done within 4 days max even though the trucks are away for weeks at a time, and all defects get sorted on the road by Volvo if necessary :imp:

we’ve never yet failed on headlamp aim, mainly because we’ve got to spend time swapping to our spare RH set before test and back again to the usual LH ones every time - which I consider unnecessary myself

thats the problem jj, vostgapos go on guide lines only what the book says and if its not in there they cant do anything as they cant think with there own minds but limits are limits i guess :frowning:
they say vostapo are here to help the british haulier"s?? if they was here to help british hauliers they would be campaining for better rates and conditions for us all instead of putting them out of business anyway i aint getting on my high horse today sod it

globby 480:
anyway i aint getting on my high horse today sod it

christ, i’d hate to see it when you do :wink: help the british haulier? pull 85% foreigners in future :bulb: