Mot exemptions

I have a 65 Daf with a generator in a coach built body which has a pedestrian door only ,it can’t carry goods as the body is full,iam tidying it up and repairing it as its been stood for 10 years,I was looking at the mot exemptions and they seem to have changed.so are volumetric mixers ,tow trucks ,stud welder lorries ect no longer exempt ?

I would have thought it should come in the engineering plant bit and still be ok

I’ve googled the exemptions there’s not many to choose from and none that suit this that I can find .

See dft.gov.uk/consultations/ope … exemptions

Even if they are exempt, a lot of road maintenance companies(for instance) put their trucks through annual MOT to show good practice. I’d say - if in doubt, get her booked in!!! Such exemptions are slowly disappearing - I think use of red diesel is another one that’s being reduced?

I think that I will just mot it for the customer,next question is it tacho exempt ?

Daz1970:
Even if they are exempt, a lot of road maintenance companies(for instance) put their trucks through annual MOT to show good practice. I’d say - if in doubt, get her booked in!!! Such exemptions are slowly disappearing - I think use of red diesel is another one that’s being reduced?

By this sort of logic you would buy a TV licence if you didn’t have a telly. :unamused:

Dan Punchard:
I’ve googled the exemptions there’s not many to choose from and none that suit this that I can find .

Motor Tractor? What does it weigh? Under 7370kgs?

Not weighed it yet but it won’t be far off 17 tonne s as it a V10 engine geni,with 5 fuel tanks on the chassis.

Wreckers are exempt too. I’ve got a mate on for a well known national recovery agent, and he does 20 hrs a day, 6 days a week in a 6 year old truck, running at up to 80 ton, that’s never seen a test station. And they think fridge operators are the most bent runners in our industry :open_mouth:

Reading online It looks like most of it is coming to an end ,I’ve got a muck sucker tanker chassis which has an mot exemption cert with it ,reading on the Rha website it could be up for change in march?

Would like to see some pics of this if possible.

Dan Punchard:
Not weighed it yet but it won’t be far off 17 tonne s as it a V10 engine geni,with 5 fuel tanks on the chassis.

Don’t know yet what the March changes are to be, but have a look at “Engineering Plant”.

Definitely seems to be O licence & tacho exempt, possibly testing & plating as well.
Also “Showmens vehicle” though I think the owner would need to be in with somebody who is involved that field.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That’s a fair few kilowatts.

my dad owns this and its deffo mot exempt as its 1958-not much help to you though dan!!
$(KGrHqQOKjYE6kTvZe0-BPU0WBn2(!~~60_12.jpg
$(KGrHqQOKjYE6kTvZe0-BPU0WBn2(!~~60_12.jpg

$(KGrHqJHJEIE88cr2ofbBPU0WFK7RQ~~60_12.jpg

Dan Punchard:

had a good look and it would seem that most of the common used exemptions will be at an end soon, good point about the mixers and stud welders, I bet the new rules wont bother the fast trac and dump trailer men loading daily out of bennet’s!
that thing will be a right can of worms, taco, restricted ‘o’ disc, white derv, monthly checks, speed limiter!
you might be better of cutting the thing up and putting the generator in a container and offer to move the thing round with the foden!

If i get an exemption on it now will it be revoked in March ,or will existing exemptions be ok ?