MOT Exemptions

dieseldave:

It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

• taking it to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance
  • bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair
  • taking it to a place, by previous arrangement, where problems that caused the vehicle to fail its mot test, can be repaired
  • bringing it away from a place where the problems with the vehicle have been repaired

Even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it doesn’t comply with various regulations affecting its construction and use. Your car insurance may also be invalid.

The above is from MOT info on the direct.gov website

I hope that helps. :smiley:

Nice one been looking for this cheers mate

danman:
Been away doing Sunday invoicing paperwork etc.
Thanks for the link DD

Sorry Wheel Nut i’m sooo old skool when trad plates did (or we thought so) cover a multiple of sins,i must try harder to be a"new man" :laughing:
What do we think of a pre booked brake roller test at non vosa site? or am i pushing it

how old is the vehicle?

see if you can get the vehicle booked in to 1 place to have all the work done

example, my local DAF dealer can do tacho calibrations, brake roller tests, and you could arrange the windscreen replacement whilst it is in there, then, from there, take the vehicle straight to MoT

you can also book a brake roller test at any MoT centre, to go through BEFORE the MoT, if it fails, just don’t go for the MoT

a failed MoT will count against your OCRS score, whereas, a voluntary brake roller test fail won’t :wink:

put it on a bar and tow it no problems.

I had the same dilema last year, a vehicle that had been parked up with no tax or MOT needed a tacho calibration before a new MOT and tax would be issued.
A call to the test center revealed that it was ok to move an insured vehicle to pre arranged appointments for minor repairs etc in preparation for a booked MOT, obviously getting caught with a couple of pallets of goods for delivery on the way would be a no-no and would get you a pre arranged appointment with the beak :grimacing:

I found a .pdf doc from .gov that provides a form and explains it all.
The explanation is on page #2.

:arrow_right: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/197207/V112G_1_.pdf

I find the easiest way is to borrow a step frame low loader ,although last week it was tree 1 ,air horn 0 .

Morning all
i’m trying to find the relevant pages at .GOV / Business Link and can’t find them, links anyone?
HELLO ROG :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

One of the fleet :laughing: is taxed & insured no mot, and needs tacho calibration,windscreen, (trip to autoglass wont do it at the yard elf&saftey apparently :unamused: )and a brake roller test would be nice.
I know trade plates are the answer but with a fleet of two ain’t worth it.

Cheers in advance
Danman

danman:
Morning all
i’m trying to find the relevant pages at .GOV / Business Link and can’t find them, links anyone?

One of the fleet :laughing: is taxed & insured no mot, and needs tacho calibration,windscreen, (trip to autoglass wont do it at the yard elf&saftey apparently :unamused: )and a brake roller test would be nice.

Cheers in advance
Danman

Hi Danman,

This might get you a start in what you’re looking for:

It is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:

• taking it to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance
  • bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair
  • taking it to a place, by previous arrangement, where problems that caused the vehicle to fail its MOT test, can be repaired
  • bringing it away from a place where the problems with the vehicle have been repaired

Even in the above circumstances you may still be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle if it doesn’t comply with various regulations affecting its construction and use. Your car insurance may also be invalid.

The above is from MOT info on the direct.gov website

I hope that helps. :smiley:

danman:
Morning all

Cheers in advance
Danman

Trade plates as they are known in the trade are only of use to cover an untaxed vehicle, they do not replace bald tyres, blown bulbs, smoking engine, MOT or a driver without a licence.

You cannot get a tachograph recalibrated at your own premises, certainly if you only have two vehicles and a windscreen is part of the MOT so if it is going for a prebooked repair or on its way to a prebooked test ,it is quite legal.

Thanks for the link DD

Sorry Wheel Nut i’m sooo old skool when trad plates did (or we thought so) cover a multiple of sins,i must try harder to be a"new man" :laughing:
What do we think of a pre booked brake roller test at non vosa site? or am i pushing it

danman:
Thanks for the link DD

Hi danman,

My reading of the bit that I quoted is that you need to have been for an MOT and failed before you can use the get-outs.

:bulb: If you prefer to be on the really safe side, couldn’t you phone the test center for guidance?