MOT exemption for recovory trucks

Was speaking to someone today who mentioned some recovory truck can get an MOT exemption
dose anyone know anything about this??

Yes, I do.

I know all about which recovery trucks are MOT exempt.

Chas:
Yes, I do.

I know all about which recovery trucks are MOT exempt.

oooooh do tell

Boss & Driver:
Was speaking to someone today who mentioned some recovory truck can get an MOT exemption

Are you thinking of turning that wreck of a Transit you recently got into a recovery truck? :wink:

Twoninety88:

Boss & Driver:

Are you thinking of turning that wreck of a Transit you recently got into a recovery truck? :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

Twoninety88:

Boss & Driver:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+1 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Twoninety88:

Boss & Driver:

lmfao

the only recovery trucks that are exempt are the speclift type not the beaver tails, and then they are only exempt if being used to recover brokendown vehicles. i think if they are used for anything else it has to be tested(i might be wrong on that and i wait to be corrected) :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

and if you are thinking of converting your old ■■■■■■ i would forget it as my old one snapped the chassis and it was fairly good and not rusted out :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

wildfire:
and if you are thinking of converting your old ■■■■■■ i would forget it

i thought old ■■■■■■.s had already been converted :smiley:

Wildfire is correct. Spec lifts and underlifts are exempt because of the constantly varying axle/braking weights, i believe. We put ours through an mot test but you don’t get an mot certificate, you get a roadworthiness certificate. This procedure is voluntary though. As for only using them to move ‘brokendown’ vehicles that applies to all recovery vehicles otherwise they’d need to be o licensed. Flatbeds and low loaders are subject to a normal mot.

wildfire:
the only recovery trucks that are exempt are the speclift type not the beaver tails

Rusty Nail:
Wildfire is correct. Spec lifts and underlifts are exempt because of the constantly varying axle/braking weights

So whats this all about then
ebay.co.uk/itm/LEYLAND-DAF-4 … 2c6736d4f3

someone told me they have to have a current MOT on them to get them exempt first
is this true?

someone said that they are loosing their mot exemption in the not too distant, but i haven’t been able to find anything about it online. all the places i’ve worked have always tested all the trucks, even if they are exempt, as it looks good for the ministry should you ever have a problem. the only exception being one that was still registered as a 2 axle tractor unit, not a 3 axle wrecker. oops!

right have a look at this
someone selling an MOT exemption form
ebay.co.uk/itm/RECOVERY-TRUC … 4168c7891b

what he quotes is

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A FORM WHICH LEGALLY ALLOWES YOU TO TAX YOUR RECOVERY/BREAKDOWN TRUCK WITHOUT THE NEED TO MOT IT, FOR THIS TO BE 100% LEGAL YOUR TRUCK MUST LIFT THE VEHICLE AND NOT CARRY IT IE SPEC LIFT ETC, HOWEVER IF YOUR LOG BOOK SAYS IT IS A RECOVERY OR BREAKDOWN VEHICLE THE POST OFFICE WILL ISSUE THE TAX REGARDLESS OF ITS BODY TYPE, I DID MY 3500KG GROSS LDV 400 A WHILE AGO, OTHER PEOPLE SAY IT HAS TO BE OVER 3500KG,HOWEVER THERE ARE TWO FORMS ONE IS FOR TRUCKS OVER 3500KG THE OTHER FOR TRUCKS UNDER,ONE OVER IS FOR GOODS VEHICLES, THE OTHER FOR PLG I DID MINE USING THE LATER, HOWEVER YOU WILL RECIEVE BOTH

Been onto the big direct gov.
and found a form to download to make your vehicle exempt
there are 2 forms one for car, motorcycle or light
goods vehicle
direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 065277.pdf

and the other for good vehicle testing
direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 067674.pdf

the form for cars dose not have an exemption for recovory
all it says is this
Do not fill in this form if your vehicle
is a goods vehicle weighing more
than 3500kg

but the one for good vehicles dose have an exemption and it quotes
3. Breakdown vehicles with permanently fixed lifting gear which are only
used to lift and tow casualty vehicles

So would a winch be classed as lifting gear?

it also says
A current test certificate or certificate of temporary
exemption must be produced with an application for a
heavy goods vehicle if the vehicle is one to which Section
53(2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 applies by virtue
of the 1988 Regs. In cases of doubt, the Regulations
should be consulted, but their general effect is that goods
vehicles over 3500kgs gross weight (revenue weight for
vehicle tax purposes) are subject to testing.

it also quotes; 13. Living vans the Design Gross Weight of which does not exceed 3500kgs
what dose this mean■■?

My transit is only 3.5T and im unsure of which cattogry it falls into
As the form for the HGV says Goods Vehicle Testing —
Declaration of Exemption and dose not say heavy goods vehicles
but the other form for light vehicles says Do not fill in this form if your vehicle
is a goods vehicle weighing more
than 3500kg
If it is not as Im hoping would fitting a speck frame to the tow bar make the vehicle weigh more then 3.5 tone
if that is so then dont I need tacos and an O licence but are recovory trucks exemt from that
edit*******
I got the goods vehicle exemption form from this link
direct.gov.uk/en/diol1/doitonline/dg_4017716
The link says- . The form includes useful guidance notes and information including where to send the form
Infact both links for both forms say that
Am I blind or is there no address I can send the forms into
And once sent in how long am I supposed to weight for my ticket of aproval to come back

Boss & Driver:
B
Am I blind or is there no address I can send the forms into
And once sent in how long am I supposed to weight for my ticket of aproval to come back

You’re not blind James, there is no address to send it to like it says there should be, however you can send a completed V112 form to any DVLA office…
dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/lo … dnear.aspx

You still having a dabble with scrap cars and parts etc ?

I was rely looking for some advice from the people who process this exemption as to if I can do it or not and how long it would take

Not doing scrap anything at the mo…good god if VOSA saw me with a load of scrap on the back of an exempted recovory truck they would have a field day :astonished: and curtains for me :laughing:

PS are you still modorating the PDA
not welcome on there anymore since I voiced my opinions about the drivers CPC
mind you cant be any worse then there oposision (see my signature)

Good definition of a ‘living van’ Here

Boss & Driver:
but the one for good vehicles dose have an exemption and it quotes
3. Breakdown vehicles with permanently fixed lifting gear which are only
used to lift and tow casualty vehicles

no. winches are for pulling, not for lifting. “lift and tow” is the thing, it’s not “lift and carry” so spectacle lift or underlift. same applies to the o licence and “+E” exemption too. not sure where you would stand if like me, you drive a flatbed with a spec on the back :laughing: i think they ought to ditch most of these exemptions now

mezzzz1211:
oooooh do tell

Nope.

I’ll leave it to Trucknets resident ‘experts’.

Hopefully, it’ll confuse the OP & dissuade it from joining a profession that already has more than its fair share of [zb].

Boss and Driver:

Currently, spec lift/underlift type vehicles can be exempt. Flatbeds, beavertails, tilt-n-slides (with or without 2nd car lifts) or crane wagons are NOT exempt.

This won’t be for much longer. The law is changing to end the test exemption for recovery vehicles.
This is already at it’s second reading stage, so it’ll get royal ascent shortly and become law.

Personally, I think the sooner they make this law the better. There’s far too many tinpot operators/■■■■■■/hawkers/scrap men running overloaded, under-maintained and un-roadworthy vehicles on the premise that they’re test exempt. That doesn’t make them maintenance exempt. The sooner these vehicles have to take a test, the better. The scrap yards will be full.

Boss & Driver:
So whats this all about then
ebay.co.uk/itm/LEYLAND-DAF-4 … 2c6736d4f3

This is about some chancer trying to sell an un-roadworthy truck to some un-suspecting chimp by declaring it test exempt.
It isn’t test exempt.

Boss & Driver:
right have a look at this
someone selling an MOT exemption form
ebay.co.uk/itm/RECOVERY-TRUC … 4168c7891b

OK, had a look, this is someone selling a form that’s free from the post office/Test Station.

Again, to declare your vehicle test exempt, you must have a test exempt vehicle.
And again, recovery vehicle test exemptions are ending soon, so a pointless exersize.

Boss & Driver:

No.

Boss & Driver:
If it is not as Im hoping would fitting a speck frame to the tow bar make the vehicle weigh more then 3.5 tone

This isn’t referring to your kerb weight, this is your GVW. To get a higher GVW than the 3.5 tons you already have takes more than nailing a spec lift to a tow bar :laughing:
All that will achieve is, you’ll make your Transit weigh more than it’s allowed to, and you’ll find yourself on the weighbridge being interrogated by… oh, hang on…

If your GVW is 3.5 tons, you won’t get a test exemption anyway. End of story. The only way you’ll do it is to up your GVW, which involves getting type approval, getting the vehicle plated and tested, then exempted. Only to be told the test exemption is ending.
Is this really a route you want to go down with a £500 rotton Transit? Have you considered just scrapping it?

Yes, I know there’s loads of DIY ■■■■■■/LDV spec lifts on Ebay that the sellers claim are test exempt. The reality is, they’re not test exempt. It’s no different than just telling people it’s insurance exempt. Yeah, sure, you can run like that. Until you get pulled…