MOT Disc on trailers

Quick question about the MOT disc on trailers…

If the trailer is old enough to require an mot, it once had the mot disc but has since fallen off/been removed or for whatever reason just isn’t there anymore that trailer obviously needs to be vor’d until the disc is replaced. BUT can the trailer be driven on the road as long as the driver carries a copy of the mot certificate with him clearly showing that the trailer has an mot? and providing the pinkish plate with all the id numbers, axle weights etc is still intact.

Can someone provide me a link to vosa website/document stating that this is true/false please. I’ve had a search on vosa website but as I suppose it’s one of those things that doesn’t really happen I couldn’t find an answer. I know there is a vosa guy on here but couldn’t remember his username.

Thanks
Mark.

Mark28:
Quick question about the MOT disc on trailers…

If the trailer is old enough to require an mot, it once had the mot disc but has since fallen off/been removed or for whatever reason just isn’t there anymore that trailer obviously needs to be vor’d until the disc is replaced. BUT can the trailer be driven on the road as long as the driver carries a copy of the mot certificate with him clearly showing that the trailer has an mot? and providing the pinkish plate with all the id numbers, axle weights etc is still intact.

Can someone provide me a link to vosa website/document stating that this is true/false please. I’ve had a search on vosa website but as I suppose it’s one of those things that doesn’t really happen I couldn’t find an answer. I know there is a vosa guy on here but couldn’t remember his username.

Thanks
Mark.

exactly what we do,get a photo copy from t,o to carry with us,

VOSA can access their own database to check if the trailer is tested.
All they need is its VOSA serial number which must, by law, be permanently marked on it.
Sometimes it’s stamped, often it’s “written” on with a welder.
If the trailer hasn’t got this, they will be very interested in it and not because it may or may not be tested.

With the advent of these computer databases, discs have become a bit of a thing of the past, even though they should be displayed.

Regards,
Nick.

trailers will need to be tested 12 months after the purchase date from new
as others say carry a copy while a new disk is applied for

We had the opposite of this, in that the trailer was MOTd but VOSA reckoned it wasnt.

The trailer had the disc in place but some nump…person at the test centre…forgot to enter it on the database.
All was resolved after VOSA did a check on the documents (ALL of them for ALL the trailers and units) on a “special” visit. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
We even got an apology :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ncooper:
VOSA can access their own database to check if the trailer is tested.
All they need is its VOSA serial number which must, by law, be permanently marked on it.
Sometimes it’s stamped, often it’s “written” on with a welder.
If the trailer hasn’t got this, they will be very interested in it and not because it may or may not be tested.

With the advent of these computer databases, discs have become a bit of a thing of the past, even though they should be displayed.

Regards,
Nick.

the trailer serial number on my trailers are on registration plates with it on, and screwed to the side of the chassis, 1 trailer has been through 6 MoT’s and the other 4 MoT’s like this, and nothing has been said about them

What wound me up was reporting trailers with no mot cert to find they weren’t 12mths old yet, how the hell are we supposed to know - not even our fleet department could answer that - so they got a call everytime I had no mot disc, and I made a note of it + the expiry / due date for mot on the defect sheet.

waynedl:
What wound me up was reporting trailers with no mot cert to find they weren’t 12mths old yet, how the hell are we supposed to know - not even our fleet department could answer that - so they got a call everytime I had no mot disc, and I made a note of it + the expiry / due date for mot on the defect sheet.

look on the manufacturers plate, it has the year of manufacture on there :wink:

shuttlespanker:
the trailer serial number on my trailers are on registration plates with it on, and screwed to the side of the chassis, 1 trailer has been through 6 MoT’s and the other 4 MoT’s like this, and nothing has been said about them

That was how we used to get our Raleigh Wisps MOT done, a local lad had a real tidy one and we just gave him our documents and number plates, they didn’t even care if one was blue and his was orange :laughing:

:slight_smile: I did that with a Yamaha RD250 one was red and the other white :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

waynedl:

look on the manufacturers plate, it has the year of manufacture on there :wink:

Just the year though, not the month?