Most widely read truck/lorry/wagon magazine?

What’s the one most people read?
Just askin’ :slight_smile:

Anything thats free !

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

good point :smiley:

It would need to be mostly pictures !

my old headlight ones out of the loft, good useful information even now.

hotel magnum:

I don’t think many will have heard of headlight :laughing: , I like to see who got done in commercial motor ,they keep trying to get me to subscribe but I get my brothers after 3 days ,classic truck or vintage road scene for me ,the others are not worth a look .

Punchy Dan:

hotel magnum:

I don’t think many will have heard of headlight :laughing: , I like to see who got done in commercial motor ,they keep trying to get me to subscribe but I get my brothers after 3 days ,classic truck or vintage road scene for me ,the others are not worth a look .

I have a box of old Headlight and Comm motor mags from the 70s that my mate used to pass on to me before I started driving, in the days when I was truck crazy…soon came to my senses and grew out of it. :laughing:
I also have T&D mags from the 80s up to about 5 yrs ago when I completely lost interest and when it became too bloody expensive.

I used to read them all when I was starting out. I loved the Long Distance Diaries in Truck and Driver when they were about trips across Europe, which was what I wanted to do from the get-go. I agree that Headlight was excellent, it was a shame when it folded and I don’t read T&D any more because all it seems to consist of nowadays is reviews of Vauxhall Movano vans and Waylon Jennings albums.

None of the newstand road transport magazines seem to have certified circulations any more. Tells its own story.

Back in the day, I got Trucking to the number one slot with certified monthly circulation of about 28,000,IIRC.

Then the company that published it got sold to a bunch of idiots, and I decided not to go with the new owners.

Harry Monk:
I used to read them all when I was starting out. I loved the Long Distance Diaries in Truck and Driver when they were about trips across Europe, which was what I wanted to do from the get-go. I agree that Headlight was excellent, it was a shame when it folded and I don’t read T&D any more because all it seems to consist of nowadays is reviews of Vauxhall Movano vans and Waylon Jennings albums.

^^^^^^^^^
+1
that mostly woud be my view now.
moreso when you can see the videos on youtube just as easily.

Speaking of publications for trucks, does any one still get motor transport in a printed format? I used to get it through the post but it stopped arriving a year or so ago.

GasGas:
None of the newstand road transport magazines seem to have certified circulations any more. Tells its own story.

Back in the day, I got Trucking to the number one slot with certified monthly circulation of about 28,000,IIRC.

Then the company that published it got sold to a bunch of idiots, and I decided not to go with the new owners.

Your publication date helped there Richard, it used to ■■■■ me off when I was at TRUCK magazine that you hit the shelves a week or so before we did as we were all writing about the same stuff with truck launches and news etc. You always got it out first, so we lost a fair bit of the market of people that didn’t want to pay twice for the same news, even if it was better written in TRUCK.

PS I’m on my tablet and can’t put a smiley after that last statement, although I don’t know if there is a smiley to represent “I’m only pretending it’s a joke”

steviespain:

Does that include the ones we read for free in WH Smith’s, the supermarket etc and put back on the shelf ?

Commercial Motor when i still at school.

Headlight didn’t really do it for me when i got on the road.

Truck i liked for its road tests and articles, one comparison test that i can still remember was a Scammel Crusader (Rolls 290) pitted against a Daf 2300.
Surprise surprise the little engined Daf was completely outclassed regarding progress, just as anyone might have expected, when the obvious competitor was the 2800.
Just out of interest i was once issued a brand new 2500 which still sported a tidied up 2300 cab, but those extra horses and the new steering improvements made a big difference to handling and meant you could set a serious pace on the open road, never had a vehicle since that could handle wet roads like that little motor.

The other lorry magazines never did much for me, european tractor units covered in bolt on tat have never been my thing, i always liked to see pretty standard vehicles put through their paces.

GasGas:

No but they’re fab for cleaning the mirrors and emergency tablecloths i find. :angry:

newmercman:

GasGas:

Your publication date helped there Richard, it used to ■■■■ me off when I was at TRUCK magazine that you hit the shelves a week or so before we did as we were all writing about the same stuff with truck launches and news etc. You always got it out first, so we lost a fair bit of the market of people that didn’t want to pay twice for the same news, even if it was better written in TRUCK.

PS I’m on my tablet and can’t put a smiley after that last statement, although I don’t know if there is a smiley to represent “I’m only pretending it’s a joke”

Happy days!

peirre:

steviespain:

Does that include the ones we read for free in WH Smith’s, the supermarket etc and put back on the shelf ?

Of course :slight_smile:
Just trying to get an idea of which ones are most widely read, doesn’t matter where it’s read :slight_smile:

It’s a part of my campaign to reclaim my Cat C from DVLA. Buggers are putting up a helluva fight.

Wish I could get my hands on a few copies of Truck & Driver dated January 2001

steviespain:

peirre:

steviespain:

Of course :slight_smile:
Just trying to get an idea of which ones are most widely read, doesn’t matter where it’s read :slight_smile:

It’s a part of my campaign to reclaim my Cat C from DVLA. Buggers are putting up a helluva fight.

Well, you could try contacting a well-known former Trucking editor and now freelance road transport journalist who writes for a broad spectrum of transport magazines and newspapers and appears here on trucknetuk under the name of an obscure Spanish off-road motorcycle.

:wink:

Mmmm, thanks GG,
yeah, well, I reckon that if Husqvarna was interested then I would have been contacted.
Names have been changed to protect the innocent

I’m in it on me own.