Most expensive car - can't afford the petrol?

ScaniaUltimate:

lancpudn:
I ain’t been to a petrol station in two years, It ‘s freakin’ heaven. I don’t drive my BEV under the feet of lorries but I will ghost them at 56 mph, They can punch a hole through the air & I’ll follow them at a safe distant which takes my 3.8 miles/kWh to 4.8 miles/kWh Kerching! :smiley: I’ll take my 29p/kWh for leccy over the £1.90+/ltr any day o the week.

You can also charge for free at many locations - something I’m struggling to understand but happy to benefit from.

Not rapid chargers though.

However enjoy the honeymoon period while it lasts, in due course the present (for electric car users) happy state of affairs will change.

I’m not envious by the way, good luck to anyone who can make the most of the current tax breaks/loopholes to milk as much as possible from the system, i could buy a battery car cos have sizeable savings/investments, but i dislike intently paying high amounts for things that depreciate rapidly and i dislike all modern cars anyway not just battery driven ones, when the time comes that they force us unwanted useless eater proles off the road (unless we comply with the latest green crusade from their WEF handlers) i’ll give up driving completely, we live on the outskirts of a market town within walking distance of most amenities, the savings on cost/taxes by not having a car at will be massive.

I agree the honeymoon period is not desired to last too long…

The situation is urgent. The arm’s-length body should be tasked with recommending an alternative road charging mechanism to replace fuel duty and vehicle excise duty by the end of 2022. One of those options should be a road pricing mechanism that uses telematic technology to charge drivers according to distance driven, factoring in vehicle type and congestion.”

However, our Government is unable to achieve anything on time. Add in the technical factors & I believe the above is likely to be achieved just after the completion of the 40 new hospitals that were promised.

Source:
publications.parliament.uk/pa/c … mmary.html

Juddian:
Not rapid chargers though.

However enjoy the honeymoon period while it lasts, in due course the present (for electric car users) happy state of affairs will change.

I’m not envious by the way, good luck to anyone who can make the most of the current tax breaks/loopholes to milk as much as possible from the system, i could buy a battery car cos have sizeable savings/investments, but i dislike intently paying high amounts for things that depreciate rapidly and i dislike all modern cars anyway not just battery driven ones, when the time comes that they force us unwanted useless eater proles off the road (unless we comply with the latest green crusade from their WEF handlers) i’ll give up driving completely, we live on the outskirts of a market town within walking distance of most amenities, the savings on cost/taxes by not having a car at will be massive.

It’s all about effectively removing the freedom of travel for the masses in favour of the elite.
The easiest way for them to do that is to make sure that the price of it exceeds income levels of those masses.What remains will be strictly controlled and EVs are the best solution to that aim.By implication the penalties imposed for any pirate charging outside of the controlled supply grid will have to be Draconian in that regard.
They’ve already declared non smart metered charging illegal but no word about penalties for failure to comply.Probably deliberately because that would let their vicious snarling wild cat out of the bag.

Who generates the power and from what of, in order to charge your EV ?

Sabretooth:

If charging from home then it will be your energy supplier. In my case Scottish Power who are 100% renewable energy.

msgyorkie:

Sabretooth:

If charging from home then it will be your energy supplier. In my case Scottish Power who are 100% renewable energy.

Bearing in mind they call anything but green nuclear and biomass renewable and the wind doesn’t always blow and the sun doesn’t always shine and burying farm land under solar panels isn’t exactly green or sensible.
Also how do they seperate coal or gas fired electric from ‘renewables’ when it’s all fed into the same grid from the power stations.
What’s actually happening is that they are artificially loading the price of cheaper fossil fuel generated electric to subsidise more expensive so called ‘renewables’ like lethal nuclear.
All moot when the laughable tax breaks stop and they hit EV’s with the equivalent of fuel duty and 20% VAT on 30-50p per kWh.

ScaniaUltimate:
I agree the honeymoon period is not desired to last too long…

The situation is urgent. The arm’s-length body should be tasked with recommending an alternative road charging mechanism to replace fuel duty and vehicle excise duty by the end of 2022. One of those options should be a road pricing mechanism that uses telematic technology to charge drivers according to distance driven, factoring in vehicle type and congestion.”

However, our Government is unable to achieve anything on time. Add in the technical factors & I believe the above is likely to be achieved just after the completion of the 40 new hospitals that were promised.

Source:
publications.parliament.uk/pa/c … mmary.html

A paragraph from that parliament summary.

“The situation is urgent. The arm’s-length body should be tasked with recommending an alternative road charging mechanism to replace fuel duty and vehicle excise duty by the end of 2022. One of those options should be a road pricing mechanism that uses telematic technology to charge drivers according to distance driven, factoring in vehicle type and congestion. If motoring taxation is linked to road usage, the Committee has not seen a viable alternative to a road pricing system (based on telematics).”

I read further into the congestion portion on another piece by the governments transport think tank about the three tier road taxation replacement (vehicle type,mileage, congestion) , The congestion part of the road tax proposal on the table concerning the twice daily commuter who clogs the roads up in the mornings & afternoon/evening peak congestion times. The proposal was if there is a viable public transport service available for your commute (via telematics/V2X software/hardware in street furniture) the taxation for your commute would be charged considerably more :open_mouth:

lancpudn:
A paragraph from that parliament summary.

“The situation is urgent. The arm’s-length body should be tasked with recommending an alternative road charging mechanism to replace fuel duty and vehicle excise duty by the end of 2022. One of those options should be a road pricing mechanism that uses telematic technology to charge drivers according to distance driven, factoring in vehicle type and congestion. If motoring taxation is linked to road usage, the Committee has not seen a viable alternative to a road pricing system (based on telematics).”

I read further into the congestion portion on another piece by the governments transport think tank about the three tier road taxation replacement (vehicle type,mileage, congestion) , The congestion part of the road tax proposal on the table concerning the twice daily commuter who clogs the roads up in the mornings & afternoon/evening peak congestion times. The proposal was if there is a viable public transport service available for your commute (via telematics/V2X software/hardware in street furniture) the taxation for your commute would be charged considerably more :open_mouth:

That does not surprise.
Also note that the most expensive home electric charge rate will be timed for when the working (wo)man gets home & needs a shower & to cook tea - all possible through smart meters.

msgyorkie:

Sabretooth:

Exactly, So depending on how the Electric is generated it will be no cheaper to operate an EV, especially when you pay for the added home charging station.
So any gain will be from the low? pollution output of the vehicle being moved. Which is a false premise as the pollution is created by the power station instead of the vehicle. Although you will still pollute when tires need to be replaced and batteries no long hold a charge. I am sure in the UK experiences the same problem as the US, Disposal of EV component is in the dark ages and piles of old Batteries plus Solar Panels are the new scrap yards. Plus remember to the most part this Scrap originated in China, who refuses to accept it for recycling !! At least nowadays OLD oils are used to make other products but time was it was dumped anywhere and everywhere.

TruckDriverBen:
no but i tend to drive @ 55mph then when someone overtakes me at 56mph and is level to my head I will floor it then il slow down again and wait for the hurle of abuse then il put it on youtube for views

Top man, I love it when people do that

Firms like Scottish Power are NET 100% clean/green. They will be using dear old fossils the same as all other companies some of the time. The devil(as always) is in the detail. The Titanic was PRACTICALLY unsinkable and we all know how that went.

Sabretooth:

msgyorkie:

Sabretooth:

Exactly, So depending on how the Electric is generated it will be no cheaper to operate an EV, especially when you pay for the added home charging station.
So any gain will be from the low? pollution output of the vehicle being moved. Which is a false premise as the pollution is created by the power station instead of the vehicle. Although you will still pollute when tires need to be replaced and batteries no long hold a charge. I am sure in the UK experiences the same problem as the US, Disposal of EV component is in the dark ages and piles of old Batteries plus Solar Panels are the new scrap yards. Plus remember to the most part this Scrap originated in China, who refuses to accept it for recycling !! At least nowadays OLD oils are used to make other products but time was it was dumped anywhere and everywhere.

All the big BEV manufacturers are signed into the circular supply chain these days whereas all end of life batteries are to be recycled & metals recovered, There are already new BEV batteries in use now that are made from reclaimed/recycled batteries. eurofinancialreview.com/2022/05 … -launches/

Sabretooth:

msgyorkie:

Sabretooth:

hydro.com/en-GB/media/news/ … perations/
EV batteries are being recycled. Im not 100% sure but i think Hydrovolt are looking to open a factory in the north east somewhere?

alamcculloch:
Firms like Scottish Power are NET 100% clean/green. They will be using dear old fossils the same as all other companies some of the time. The devil(as always) is in the detail. The Titanic was PRACTICALLY unsinkable and we all know how that went.

With a single, interconnected power grid it will always be like that (unless someone comes up with a way to route the electrons individually). However, unlike a good many other energy suppliers, Scottish Power do at least put at least as much renewably generated power into the grid as they sell to their DOMESTIC customers over the course of a year. Some of them rely instead on administrative fudges to make it look like this is what they are doing…

Oh, and the “practically unsinkable” claim was never made by Harland and Wolff. It got printed by some over-zealous journalists at the time and was repeated by others (including Captain Smith).

msgyorkie:

Sabretooth:

msgyorkie:

Sabretooth:

hydro.com/en-GB/media/news/ … perations/
EV batteries are being recycled. Im not 100% sure but i think Hydrovolt are looking to open a factory in the north east somewhere?

I stand corrected … well a little bit, Your article link refers to Norway !When you take into account the rest of Europe and the UK at the moment there is a stock pile of scrap EV batteries, I have no doubt that in the end the problem will be resolved. However to keep these recycle companies operating they will need a constant supply which means a huge back log and don’t for get a Battery is a hazardous product which needs to be stored and transported safely.

And looking to the future I foresee EV’s becoming obsolete as Nitrogen takes the lead. After all they are doing trials with it at the moment, and its an inert gas with a biproduct of water. 78% of the Universe is Nitrogen 25% oxygen and other gasses its clean and will easily replace EV batteries and fossil fuels. The Goodyear Blimp already uses it in order to fly as do a number of other vehicles.

Note to self buy shares in Nitrogen producing companies…

Sabretooth:
I stand corrected … well a little bit, Your article link refers to Norway !When you take into account the rest of Europe and the UK at the moment there is a stock pile of scrap EV batteries, I have no doubt that in the end the problem will be resolved. However to keep these recycle companies operating they will need a constant supply which means a huge back log and don’t for get a Battery is a hazardous product which needs to be stored and transported safely.

And looking to the future I foresee EV’s becoming obsolete as Nitrogen takes the lead. After all they are doing trials with it at the moment, and its an inert gas with a biproduct of water. 78% of the Universe is Nitrogen 25% oxygen and other gasses its clean and will easily replace EV batteries and fossil fuels. The Goodyear Blimp already uses it in order to fly as do a number of other vehicles.

Note to self buy shares in Nitrogen producing companies…

I was just pointing out that EV batteries are able to be recycled and indeed are. This will eventually be rolled out to the Uk no doubt.
I fully agree that Nitrogen is the way forward. I believe EVs will become obsolete like a Betamax recorder. Not long ago I had a new gas boiler installed. I noticed on the paperwork that it said it was nitrogen ready. I asked the fitter what that was about and he said when Nitrogen can be produced in the UK at a low enough cost then the gas grid will be switched to nitrogen. He also said when that happens the sales of nitrogen cars will rapidly take off.

Roymondo:

Carryfast:
I do know without any need to consult google that petrol was cheap enough even in the 1980’s for the average worker to afford to run something decent with at least 6 cylinders and 2.5 to 4.2 litres sometimes even more, as an everyday motor, if they wanted to.I was one of them.

But if you did consult Google (other search engines are of course available) and sat down with your calculator for a moment (or maybe a few moments), you’d realise that back in the 80s your 10 year old Triumph 2500 PI (or indeed any other 10 year old 6-pot “decent” motors) would require the average manual worker to labour for about two hours to pay for 100 miles’ worth of petrol. Nowadays said average manual worker would also need to work for about 2 hours to pay for the diesel to do 100 miles in a 10 year old six-pot BMW, Jag, Audi etc on account of said motors easily doing 40+ mpg rather than the 22-25 mpg (or less) of the 70s rubbish that you were rattling around in 35+ years ago. If you look around the employee car park in any transport/logistics company premises, you’ll see a few such cars in evidence.

Firstly the ‘average’ worker of the 1970s will now be earning closer to minimum wage than the 80 quid a week that time served skilled factory workers earn’t then.
Ironically unskilled production line at Ford would have earn’t even more but the job was even more onerous so they earn’t it.Bearing in mind that manufacturing sector jobs are now more likely to be done by someone in China.
75p per gallon is almost 12x less than £1.80 per litre.Which would need a wage of more than 900 quid a week for 40 hours to match.
An obvious diesel car fan calling a 6 cylinder petrol engine a rattler says it all.

What are you talking about? Nitrogen doesn’t burn. And nitrogen oxides are far more pollutive than carbon oxides.

Anything other than “Green” Hydrogen made from 100% renewable energy will have to go through the EU ETS (emission trading system) which is at a record high for carbon emitting fossil fuels.
“Blue” Hydrogen made with gas will incur carbon penalties. euractiv.com/section/energy … g-by-2030/

the maoster:
I remember at 16 years old filling my FS1E from reserve to full including two squirts of two stroke for.80 pence. No idea what it held btw.

I’m sure someone will google it :smiley:

I Googled it…

Cos you’re such a lazy arse. :smiley:

1.4 imperial gallons according to Wikipedia.

My big brother managed to come off his on Christmas day. He then spent the whole afternoon in shock on the sofa wrapped in a blanket muttering that the van should have seen him regardless of the speed he was doing.

Best crimbo ever mate!