Most common gearbox 4 over 4 ?

Just a question what is the most common gearbox you truckers have come across?
4 over 4 ?
auto?
18 speed ?

Why■■? :unamused:

It all depends what motors they run where you work.
My first few motors were Scanias 3over3 12 speed, then Volvos 3over3, and Daf ZF 16 speed.
All good gearboxes, although in the left hand drive Scanias and Volvos i had, and Dafs come to think of it, the gears went in a lot smoother and less ‘notchy’.
These motors were designed for left hookers so its not surprising really.
Nowadays most (not all) motors seem to come as standard with automatic boxes, i’d never driven an automatic anything since i started at the job im at now, not even a car, ive got an automatic FH Volvo, at first it was a novelty, but now after 3 or 4 years, i hate it and would do anything to have a manual box again.

I’d say auto boxes are most common

I have only just passed my c and c/e as i was made redundant, and i am 41 so just a bit of the unknown for me as my test truck was a daf 4 over 4 drawbar and i aint got work yet as i am waiting for tacho card, so im just a bit worried about getting work and also jumping into a truck i don’t know… hope you chaps understand… :blush:

The usual way of describing the different types of manual gearboxes is either range change or splitter.Some also used a combination of both like the 13 speed fuller or ZF ecosplit while some never used either with all the gears selected using the seperate positions on the stick.I used all those different types at different times over the years.

Dear me sounds like i have my hands full.

sweeper1gg:
Dear me sounds like i have my hands full.

Just ask someone else there whose communication skills aren’t just grunts, to show you what’s what, and it’ll be fine.

dri-diddly-iver:
Why■■? :unamused:

Why comment if you have nothing good to say, WHY bother. i have checked all your posts and all your comments are negative you have issues wive yourself pal ! GET HELP! dont try bringing others down through your own delusional self. IT AINT MY FAULT YOUR WIFE LEFT.

If you worried buy the Truckers Guide , its pretty useful to have with you describes most gearboxes , tachos and other bits and bobs that you might be too shy/embarrassed to ask, I knoiw it helped me with the oh so simple Stonebridge tacho :open_mouth:

most trucks are auto now , finding the controls can be fun sometimes especially the Iveco :slight_smile:

does the book exist as I have tried a google and cant seem to find out
seen a Haynes manual though■■?

I wouldn’t worry- if you’ve used a DAF 4 over 4 with range change and splitter then your good to go. 3 over 3 is just one less gate, and anything else may just have left out the splitter (so is simpler) or rather than using a range switch you ‘knock over’ the gear stick to get the next 4 gears- so just think of that as a 8 speed/gate box with a stiff bit in the middle- like old mercs.

All that said, most new fleets are auto.

What he said ^

The only thing that may catch you out is a slap over box, they used to have them in axor’s and man’s instead of a switch, you just slap the gear stick left or right to access low range gears & high range gears, this is the most common reason for playing a tune down the road as it’s not depicted well on axor’s.

Dieseldoforme:
The skilled professional Driver will always choose a fully
automatic 12 speed gear box with plenty of horse power.

They know that Renault Trucks take some beating. Take a look. [/b]

[/quote]
Can’t beat horse power!

emwmarine:

Dieseldoforme:
The skilled professional Driver will always choose a proper 13 or 18 speed fuller gear box with plenty of horse power and you won’t find that in any euro box.

Can’t beat horse power!

Fixed that. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Dieseldoforme:

Carryfast:
The skilled professional Driver will always choose a proper 13 or 18 speed fuller gear box with plenty of horse power and you won’t find that in any euro box.

Fixed that. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Carry on doing what you’re doing it’s funny.

FTFY. Only joking, seriously though, in fun I think changing quotes has it’s place, to deliberately misinterpret someone else’s words is wrong.

It’s been a minute or two since I was a newby, but surely it doesn’t make a great deal of difference which box you use (barring Eaton Twin Split and other steam driven nonsense). As a driver and I would say especially as an LGV driver, we are required to adapt.

Just take your time, don’t fight the box and you’ll get on like a pro in no time (Again except with an Eaton which will take a fortnight)

In my experience most common 'box would be a range change, but it depends what work you’re doing I guess you wont find many manuals on Tesco and the like but STGO is more likely to be a manual.

I fully expect everyone and his wife to tell me how wonderful Eaton Twin Splitters are and how I’m not a proper driver until I can use one without finding 16 neutrals in 5 minutes, however, I’ve no opinion one way or the other as I have little to no direct experience of them.