morrisons drivers

They were advertising for the Northwich depot a couple of weeks ago on the JobCentre web site. So I printed off a letter and my CV and got it posted. I got the letter and CV returned this week with an abrupt comp slip saying that the person I addressed it to doesn’t exsist and they don’t even need any drivers. :open_mouth:

I don’t know if they are any good but what the hell was that about??

CW

I used to work for a contractor at Morrisons Northwich but didn’t drive the DAF’s, I heard they were As tronics, I now drive a DAF XF AS Tronic and although its not as good as the I-shift you wont hear me complaining! I heard Night lads at Morrisons saying £32k but that was loads of OT too! I know of someone who has been waiting since October of last year to be taken on by Morrisons but they are currently putting their warehouse staff through class one first - Good eh? Morrisons job was better than working for Asda as you didnt have to unload and could get your head down in our trucks which were sleeper cabs!

I did some work for them out of swan valley northampton, the only thing worse than the trucks (foden twin sh****ers) were the people, wincanton d*****heads through and through.

Wilde1:
They were advertising for the Northwich depot a couple of weeks ago on the JobCentre web site. So I printed off a letter and my CV and got it posted. I got the letter and CV returned this week with an abrupt comp slip saying that the person I addressed it to doesn’t exsist and they don’t even need any drivers. :open_mouth:

CW

One of ours left and started on Morrisons at Northwich about three weeks ago, no experience on class 1 and only passed his test a little while ago! Make of that what you will…

Used to agency for them, and my bro is a permanent driver.

Feel free to pose the questions by PM and I’ll get his answers.

FWIW, it appears they’re getting rid of the DAFs. They drink more than Amy Winebar.

edit - btw I’ve never had easier work, and it paid very well. If you know how to manage your own mind then the few office jockeys who can be arsey are easy to handle (so the same as ANY company, where there’s good and bad people and the key factor is YOUR attitude).

They’ve also been absolutely amazing for my brother, who has had some difficult times with his baby son, and they’ve been more flexible and helpful than I’ve ever heard of with a haulier, for helping him find the time for hospital appointments and the like.

I’d work for them again at the drop of a hat.

Olog Hai:

Wilde1:

CW

One of ours left and started on Morrisons at Northwich about three weeks ago, no experience on class 1 and only passed his test a little while ago! Make of that what you will…

That they will take a competent driver with a positive attitude ahead of a time-served person with bad habits and bad attitude?

Oops, making assumptions aren’t I :wink:

Does make me chuckle when people assume a recent pass = worse driver than any other option.
Sure, in the main experience is preferable, but by no means is it a trump card. If you’re good you’re good, if you’re rubbish you’re rubbish, whether you’re new or long in the tooth.

The Daf gearbox is fully auto no clutch…but it’s a bag of ■■■■■■■■■■■■ at slow speeds is a pain in the arse…Touch the accelerator…gently to do a manoeuvre and it’ll either not move or rocket off…I hate the thing…then it can’t make it’s mind up what gear it wants…
Then the brake pedal…is the big plate pad…BMW style…instead of the standard center sole of feet type…
Tickles my foot :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Still thats just me…give it a try…you maybe ok with it

SuperSmiley:
The Daf gearbox is fully auto no clutch…but it’s a bag of [zb]…Moving at slow speeds is a pain in the arse…Touch the accelerator…gently to do a manoeuvre and it’ll either not move or rocket off…I hate the thing…then it can’t make it’s mind up what gear it wants…
Then the brake pedal…is the big plate pad…BMW style…instead of the standard center sole of feet type…

The DAF AS-Tronic gearbox is automatic/manual gear select, though apparently there is a version without the manual option which I would imagine would be rubbish, but with the option of manual gear selection it’s quite a good box, but you do need to learn to use it in order to get the best from it.

tachograph:

SuperSmiley:
The Daf gearbox is fully auto no clutch…but it’s a bag of [zb]…Moving at slow speeds is a pain in the arse…Touch the accelerator…gently to do a manoeuvre and it’ll either not move or rocket off…I hate the thing…then it can’t make it’s mind up what gear it wants…

The DAF AS-Tronic gearbox is automatic/manual gear select, though apparently there is a version without the manual option which I would imagine would be rubbish, but with the option of manual gear selection it’s quite a good box, but you do need to learn to use it in order to get the best from it.

True. Simple tricks like left-foot braking on slow manouvers until you get the hang of the box and how to make it move on low gas.
Also many drivers struggle with them on roundabouts. Just drive with good forward planning so you’ve already done your braking a truck length or two ahead of the give-way line, so you’re on the gas coming up to the line and you’ll have the right gear. It’s what you should be doing anyway and how you’re taught to drive now. Obviously it’ll flap around if you’re braking to the line, looking, then trying to gas it away.
I remember delivering MANS and Mercs with fully auto boxes when I was plating, and sometimes taking the new owners out for a spin to show them how to drive properly cos the drivers due to have them had been ■■■■■■■■ having read how they’re crap on roundabouts etc. And I’d only had my license a matter of months back then :laughing:

I remember delivering MANS and Mercs with fully auto boxes when I was plating, and sometimes taking the new owners out for a spin to show them how to drive properly cos the drivers due to have them had been ■■■■■■■■ having read how they’re crap on roundabouts etc. And I’d only had my license a matter of months back then :laughing:
[/quote]

My auto merc doesnt do that.

IIRC there were two auto mercs at the time.

One with a stick that had an “A” on it as well as the normal marks (some were dash-mounted, some column-mounted), and a “standard” auto box with nothing more than a dial somewhere.

I think it was the one with the “A” that people struggled with.

I do believe there’s been adjustment since as the mercs I’ve driven since at Tesco were able to drive from the get-go too.

I may have got myself confused having slept since then but I’m pretty sure that a good handful of mercs I picked up from Tankersley I ended up giving a demo on in return for a lift to the station or motorway junction.

Morrisons dafs have as tronic fleet version. Which means no manual option. Basic day cab with no elec mirror adjustment or night heater. and 360 horses to play with under your right foot. Not ideal for posing down the m-way with the shades on I guess. :sunglasses:

el gordo 78:

Olog Hai:

That they will take a competent driver with a positive attitude ahead of a time-served person with bad habits and bad attitude?

Does make me chuckle when people assume a recent pass = worse driver than any other option.
Sure, in the main experience is preferable, but by no means is it a trump card. If you’re good you’re good, if you’re rubbish you’re rubbish, whether you’re new or long in the tooth.

Well yes i’d say you are making an assumption. I didnt mention anything about ‘recent pass = worse driver’, neither did i air any other opinions - just facts for the previous guy. And having seen the lad who has gone’s driving there’s no way they have assessed him in a million years! :laughing:

Olog Hai:

el gordo 78:

Olog Hai:

Well yes i’d say you are making an assumption. I didnt mention anything about ‘recent pass = worse driver’, neither did i air any other opinions - just facts for the previous guy. And having seen the lad who has gone’s driving there’s no way they have assessed him in a million years! :laughing:

That little discussion has got strangely complicated! :laughing:

But yes a massive assumption was made and was wrong. I’m an experienced PCV driver but although long qualified LGV driver not very experienced. My letter was very positive and was sent with a good CV.

I can understand if they want drivers with more experience, but I didn’t understand how the job was posted on JobCentre Website with a name and address to send it to, but then have it sent back with them saying that no such person even works there. I can also understand a lack of interest if my letter and CV were poor, but why say no positions are available if they have advertised for drivers? Basically my point is, why deal with job applications in this way? I’m not getting stressed about it because lets face it there are a lot worse things going on within the industry then this. :wink:

dogface wrote

i used to work for morrisons i can assure you it was no were near 36 K more like 25K work was easy enough though and only 9 hr shifts

Absolutely correct!

Please introduce me to any driver employed by a a haulage company in Britain who makes 36k!!

I worked for Morrisons on agency a couple of years ago at their Bellshill depot, Lanarkshire, Scotland - that was enough for me!
Easy work but the phone never stops, shifts are dreadful, working many weekends, and some of their management are real tossheads with a deliberately bad attitude! £25k to £26k is approximately what their full time drivers are on…but like most drivers in Britain, when asked what they earn, they’ll add at least £10k on top of that!

hi andy
i made £34400 last year working less than 45 hours a week. and our latest pay rise we have asked for 36k