Morris J Type

restored

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st … e-35789799

That was the first what you could call a commercial motor I ever drove and that was for a bakery, good little motor a bit sharp on the brakes as I found out one day when having to stop suddenly and having all the trays of cream cakes in my lap and on the inside of the window screen, what a mess cream and strawberry jam everywhere.

When I first passed my car test in 1967 I worked in my school holidays as an ice cream salesman for Erics ice cream knighton fields road Leicester . They had several of these morrises. I don’t remember them being that slow and by the standards of the day they weren’t. The morris had three speed gearboxes but we had one Austin of similar design with a four speed box. They were built around 1952 almost as old as I was at the time. I even remember the registration number of one of them MAD18. Unfortunately I failed to take pictures of any of these fine vehicles.

That restored one is a JR (the Morris-Commercial badge gives that away!) which only had the old sidevalve Morris engine and three speed gearbox, the later Morris JB (or Austin 101) had the 1500cc Austin OHV engine and four speed gearbox, plus a different wheelbase, and they were slightly quicker! :laughing:

Pete.

made a good job of that :slight_smile:

wonder if he could do similar with the abandoned one in a field near me…

I can think off-hand of two films starring a J-type. The first is Dr Who: Invasion Earth which I saw when it came out in the early sixties (and I haven’t seen since!), and that British Transport film about BRS lorries carrying cement up to a dam construction site in a remote part of Scotland. A veritable mine of useless information on a Saturday afternoon, me. :laughing: Robert

My father drove one when it was the works runabout in the 1950s. They were handy for taking the odd calf or pig to market. During the Three Counties agricultural show we took the milk from the dairy exhibits to Cadbury’s depot at Frampton on Severn every evening and when our local Post Office couldn’t cope with the Christmas rush we had a month’s “clean hands” work.
Ours was the old type, with the Morris side-valve engine and 3-speed gearbox. It would cruise at around 40mph but if pushed it would almost make fifty. Provided you could stand the noise from that air intake! It only had one seat so I had the luxury of a bushel box with a couple of folded sacks on it. I expect JAM 211 has long gone to that great scrap yard in the sky.

robert1952:
I can think off-hand of two films starring a J-type. The first is Dr Who: Invasion Earth which I saw when it came out in the early sixties (and I haven’t seen since!), and that British Transport film about BRS lorries carrying cement up to a dam construction site in a remote part of Scotland. A veritable mine of useless information on a Saturday afternoon, me. :laughing: Robert

You’ll be able to see it again if you really want to Robert on movies4men 20th March 10.45 channel 48 on freeview

dazcapri:

robert1952:

You’ll be able to see it again if you really want to Robert on movies4men 20th March 10.45 channel 48 on freeview

Thank you! Robert

After he retired, my Grandad told people he used to drive an artic. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ray

1954 Morris J in Pickford livery..jpg
Morris J type.jpg

flishflunk:
After he retired, my Grandad told people he used to drive an artic. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ray

Bless him - and good luck to him! Robert

I’ve had one of these for years - two-tone blue with ‘Capstan Cigarettes’ on the sides.

(I’m sure it’s in that old toy box in the garage, somewhere!)

Steve

Ste46:
I’ve had one of these for years - two-tone blue with ‘Capstan Cigarettes’ on the sides.

(I’m sure it’s in that old toy box in the garage, somewhere!)

Steve

I’m looking at the Mail Van (and many others) on a shelf in our living room! :wink:

Pete.

A smart J Type at Birkenhead. Spillers’ Homepride Mill on the left. Rank’s Buchanen’s Mill on the right. Spot the ladders…

J Type Morris.jpg

imagesRPDBNJDP.jpg

Apparently the BMC dealership that I was apprenticed at had a J type as a stores van before my time there (an early J4 was the replacement when I started) and it was that heavily laden at times that I was told the propshaft eventually wore grooves in the body floor! I used to have to perch facing backwards on the inner wing of J types to hold the Tapley meter during brake tests for the MOT because most of them (and the larger LD’s) had only a drivers seat. With them having no aircleaner, only a tin shield to stop things dropping into the carb, you occasionally got a sheet of flame come out through the gap in the engine covers if the mixture was set wrong, used to startle you just a little. :open_mouth:

Pete.