Morocco.

We have a load of HHG,s going to Morrocco at the end of July. Can anyone give any advise about what to expext whilst over there ? Have heard a few horror stories but any upto date info would be appreciated. RE: Custom formalities,The locals, Things to look out for, And of course anything we must do whilst over there. Cheers, Steve.

One bloke at my last job was "mugged " by the border police. Marched to a cashpoint and made to max his withdrawal limit. They got him again on his way back. Thats’ all I know chief.

It’s the only country I’ve ever refused to go to.

Never done it myself, but have many friends who have done it for many years and still do, without any problems, and if they can do it without trouble I like to think I could. I think it’s like all jobs each has its own difficulties to throw at you, but being a true Brit you’ll battle through, go for it my son.

Ossie

A long time ago when John Mann ruled there,i heard drivers saying about the kids pulling the parking brake on the trailer while you were on the move,having air lines cut,and rocks and stones being thrown at the truck,but things have changed now i guess.
The local traction owners were not happy with foreign trucks taking their work.
The King has a pad on the beach at Agadir,and is modern in his appproach.

Do any British trucks/firms still do Morocco apart from a few owner drivers on for Davis Turner?

Think some Dutch firms still go there.And Spanish ones that go to Ceuta which is Spanish.

Jan de Lely still goes over there

Vascoingles:
Jan de Lely still goes over there

Are they the ones who take live shellfish down for processing?

squarepeg:
Are they the ones who take live shellfish down for processing?

I believe that’s Heiploeg. Seems like most of their units are now Moroccan registered, always see a couple of them at Express Maree in Begles every time I stop by there in the early hours of the morning. Apparently they now have a base not too far from Tangiers and Ceuta.

~ Craig

Steve Barnes:
We have a load of HHG,s going to Morrocco at the end of July. Can anyone give any advise about what to expext whilst over there ? Have heard a few horror stories but any upto date info would be appreciated. RE: Custom formalities,The locals, Things to look out for, And of course anything we must do whilst over there. Cheers, Steve.

Make sure you have a good agent in situ, or you will be financially raped on entry. Davies turners man on site is English , maybe they can help. Good luck.

Sounds like it could be quite interesting then. The client is a Spanish Diplomat so hopefully we should have no problems with customs(cough,cough). :laughing:
The jobs not until the end of the month but i will take photos and let you know how we get on, Thanks for your replies, Steve.

i’ve been once a couple of years ago with generators, customs was easy. DHL had something to do with it, they took the paperwork, re did it. then handed it to another office, down the road to tip, come back for paperwork.
yes police/locals will spot a mug a mile off. just do a borat impression “yerrrrrrs”. they give up after 5 mins of “yerrrrrrs”.

John Popat Transport is running there (as of last year) for DT.

As for cutting air lines and a like yes it is/was true. We would run out of the factories with the shunt on and airlines off because they had a bad tendency to cut them off. Agent wise i would call DT and ask them if they mind pointing you in the right direction. It’s ten years since i did it so no doubt things are a lot better now. There are places to avoid or where places to avoid but that could have all changed since i was last there, and many others too so advice would be defunked.

Best person to ask is John Poppat mate. Based in Stockport he is the most recent person i know who operated out there.

Will on trucknet used to go there or still does,i knew his uncle Tony Bradfield,who used to have a Volvo F12 with Hot to Trott on the head board,send him a message,Will is Swindon way,i think.
Casablanca is a very modern city,kids going around in the latest designer clothes,decent cars and so on,very polluted though.
I took a two week train tour,staying at cheap hotels that i booked on a hostel booking website,£8 for a 4 star hotel,in Casa,it was a promotion.Essoria is a fishing town,chilled out,Agadir has rich oil men,ladies of night clubs,which is normaly frowned upon in a Muslim country.

toby1234abc:
Will on trucknet used to go there or still does,i knew his uncle Tony Bradfield,who used to have a Volvo F12 with Hot to Trott on the head board,send him a message,Will is Swindon way,i think.
Casablanca is a very modern city,kids going around in the latest designer clothes,decent cars and so on,very polluted though.
I took a two week train tour,staying at cheap hotels that i booked on a hostel booking website,£8 for a 4 star hotel,in Casa,it was a promotion.Essoria is a fishing town,chilled out,Agadir has rich oil men,ladies of night clubs,which is normaly frowned upon in a Muslim country.

As far as ime aware Tony Bradfield still runs to Morocco in a Daf ssc pulling for DT.
Fair play to him,he must be well into his 70s by now.

I knew Tony from my British International days as an O/D,a top bloke,that was in 1991.