Morning - Got a assessment this week

Got my cat C provisional back 2 weeks ago and im in the process of trying to find a instructor. Ive found a couple in my area, the one I have found hes registered as a company and ive emailed him and spoke on the phone, hes recently moved address. When I spoke to him on the phone he was happy to arrange a assessment with me for £50 what should he be doing on this assessment??

Also the other thing is he has said he can do my training for such and such a price, but if I pay cash I dont have to pay the VAT - I would if I payed by cheque or bankers draft Would you avoid? Is there a way of checking to see if this instructor is legit??

Thanks in advance.

Name the company and see if anyone has used them

hi mate not sure if there is a way to check he is 100% legit just go and visit his yard and check his equipment, I wouldn’t be happy paying for an assessment either I got mine FOC. But maybe you have no choice I have heard of people paying for them right enough. Maybe post your location on here and someone could point you in the direction of a reputable instructor.

Good luck

Do a quick search on here. There is a list of all recommended companies. Also every local school I spoke to did the assessment drive for free. Guess it depends where abouts you are

Never heard of a training school doing cash in hand… :exclamation:

Also assessments are usually free from reputable trainers, it’s not common that they charge.

Who are you looking at?

Poolie101:
Got my cat C provisional back 2 weeks ago and im in the process of trying to find a instructor. Ive found a couple in my area, the one I have found hes registered as a company and ive emailed him and spoke on the phone, hes recently moved address. When I spoke to him on the phone he was happy to arrange a assessment with me for £50 what should he be doing on this assessment??

Also the other thing is he has said he can do my training for such and such a price, but if I pay cash I dont have to pay the VAT - I would if I payed by cheque or bankers draft Would you avoid? Is there a way of checking to see if this instructor is legit??

Thanks in advance.

Yes like the plague

Some of the training places around here (merseyside) charge a fee for an assesment. Its knocked off the price of the course if you book with them.

The trainer is an absolute fool! And so are so if you deal with him. To offer “no vat if you pay cash” is fraud. Plain and simple - theft.

Not only is he a thief and a fraudster, he is stupid enough to make the offer to someone (you) he doesn’t know from Adam. Sooner he gets caught the better.

Don’t give a monkey’s how good a trainer he may be. This is just dishonest. And so are you if you go with it.

There is only one way to run a business properly - and that is to stick to the rules. Whether or not we agree with them all.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

(Just paid £22k VAT and got a Corp tax bill of a lot more than that to pay at the end of the year)

Thanks for your comments, the instructor has a facebook page and is on the registered companies website that is posted on here. He has told me that my assessment price will be taken off my training course price if i decide to train with him. I cant see where the problem is personally. I just think going with a smaller company will be more of a personal thing and he will want me to get through my test quicker.

I just think going with a smaller company will be more of a personal thing and he will want me to get through my test quicker.]

Sorry, but I cant let this one go. You’re seriously considering going with someone who opening displays dishonest trading. You seem to think that a one man band is a better bet. Why? Where is the spare vehicle, spare tests, availability of other instructors if yours is sick? Small, in this job, is not always beautiful. I know, I used to be “small”. Why do you think he’ll want you through your test quicker? No-one is more interested than me in getting folk through. Even on holiday I ring 4 times each test day for each and every result. And I’ve never met most of the candidates. But the interest is certainly there!

You seem to be sold on this guy. I hope it works for you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

:open_mouth:

There are plenty of other training providers that care, why do you seem to think this guy is better? It’s already been established that he’s cut one corner, what’s to say he isn’t cutting any others in way of vehicle condition etc.

Going with this guy could well be the worst thing you could do, there are many other trainers that can get you through. Ditch em.

Also, I’m interested as to why you don’t want to name said company… ?

Ok points taken and understood. I will look at reputable companies with good pass rate…

Ive been un sure myself I suppose what strayed me to this trainer was more driving hours and £100 cheaper.

I dont think it would be fair to mention any companies names as I dont know the company nor person involved.

am based in the north east of England - Darlington area. Have just emailed JSMDT.com or John’s School of Motoring based in Catterick.

The other trainer who ive emailed is Teeside transport training. Any ideas please, anyone used them??

Poolie101:
I dont think it would be fair to mention any companies names as I dont know the company nor person involved.

Nor will anyone until a member who has had personal dealings with decides to name them - you could be the first

This site allows personal experiences to be posted and allows the company concerned to be named

Poolie101:
am based in the north east of England - Darlington area. Have just emailed JSMDT.com or John’s School of Motoring based in Catterick.

The other trainer who ive emailed is Teeside transport training. Any ideas please, anyone used them??

jsm are up here training squaddies,they dont train anyone else
teeside lgv training are very good,i did both class 1 and 2 with them and found them to be excellent

Pm Cheekymonkey he lives in Darlington and may be able to recommend someone good

Synthetic_sid:

Poolie101:

jsm are up here training squaddies,they dont train anyone else
teeside lgv training are very good,i did both class 1 and 2 with them and found them to be excellent

JSM have given me a friday morning slot… More then happy to train me.