more than one

why do all the local one man bands who start up seem to have 5 trucks within months of starting up, very few seem to stay at 1/2, i would of thought youd be better off building a buisness up slowly but as ive no experience im probally totally wrong , so wy do they go to 5 trucks so quickly, is it theyve got offered that much work , or is it if youve got your trucks doing work for different firms your not going to be hit so hard if something goes wrong with one contract :question:
thamks

think it’s tempting for anyone simply because theres only ever gona be x amount of profit in one wagon no matter how good the rates are. everyone scoffs at container rates for example but i know a lad local to me who has five wagons on for one of the big names and he does very well out of it employing five drivers and taking the profit which wouldn’t be any great shakes for one wagon but times five is a nice earner considering the only driving he does now is to cover holidays etc. wouldn’t be my cup of tea as i’ve always thought the best thing about owner driving apart from the money is the fact that i can park up on a friday night or thursday night as it is at the mo, and completely forget about work for two days which is probably unique in business.

paul b:
i’ve always thought the best thing about owner driving apart from the money is the fact that i can park up on a friday night or thursday night as it is at the mo, and completely forget about work for two days which is probably unique in business.

Even more unique is the fact that its a legal requirement :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: but then don’t forget you’ve got to spend sat morning unloading and stashing away all the mars bars you’ve earned, then the rest of the w/end down the yard trying to look busy, on yer back looking up at oily engines and prodding tyres :stuck_out_tongue:

Big Joe:
Even more unique is the fact that its a legal requirement :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: but then don’t forget you’ve got to spend sat morning unloading and stashing away all the mars bars you’ve earned, then the rest of the w/end down the yard trying to look busy, on yer back looking up at oily engines and prodding tyres :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ady1:
why do all the local one man bands who start up seem to have 5 trucks within months of starting up, very few seem to stay at 1/2, i would of thought youd be better off building a buisness up slowly but as ive no experience im probally totally wrong , so wy do they go to 5 trucks so quickly

Because they all have a Mars Bat fetish. One Mars Bar per mile is simply not enough so more wagons needed!!!.

I Tried two wagons a few years back,in my humble opinion it just meant double the hassle trying to run the extra truck from your cab was a nightmare.
Then youve got the grief of covering holidays, paying extra for bank holidays,even though you dont get payed any extra on bank holidays.Then the phone call saying the wifes ill I need to finish early.One truck is enough for me !

Rob K:

ady1:
why do all the local one man bands who start up seem to have 5 trucks within months of starting up, very few seem to stay at 1/2, i would of thought youd be better off building a buisness up slowly but as ive no experience im probally totally wrong , so wy do they go to 5 trucks so quickly

Because they all have a Mars Bat fetish. One Mars Bar per mile is simply not enough so more wagons needed!!!.

It’s a little known fact that (especially to those that have never done it) that if an owner driver builds his fleet up to 5 trucks he then receives turkish delight instead of mars bars :wink:

(at the moment I’m on Lidl’s own brand choccy :cry: )

Start again when it’s behind you NSH, you live and learn. I failed once/knocked it on the head voluntarily with no debt but couldn’t get used to driving for someone else as “just the driver” so had another crack and am so far doing ok although let’s face it, we’ll never be rich at this game.

Welshman:
One truck is enough for me !

and me :wink:

north surrey haulage:
It’s a little known fact that (especially to those that have never done it) that if an owner driver builds his fleet up to 5 trucks he then receives turkish delight instead of mars bars :wink:

Very good, NSH, pleased to see you ain’t lost yer sense of humour

north surrey haulage:

I like Lidls own brand. I’m all for it, in fact.

Chin up, there’s much to be said for own brand and home cooked.

the economies of it work better to go 5 trucks rather than 2 or or even 3. plus once you get finance for 2 or 3 thrucks they throw the finance at you for the other 2 and the accountant says you better expand. but you need to beable to get away from driving cause you then become a manager. me I’m happy with one for now.the only time I would run 5 is if I owned 2 or 3 outright. work it out if you can pull 3-400 a week each from 5 trucks after expense its not a bad gig to have a few worries

Yorkie bars :unamused:

I ve tried 5 and quietly slipped back down to two, and will probably be an owner driver, with 2 subbies on with me at Christmas, Its not finding the work, or the finances, there are definite advantages ie buying power, covering work etc. It is just finding drivers who will work as hard for you, as you work for yourself. My dream at 25 was to have 10 trucks, My dream now, nearly 20 years later, is to have a comfortable living, without killing myself. Like someone said on another post, I will never be rich, and no offense to those who do, I have no wish to drive a top of the range Scania or Volvo, to busy watching the pennies :laughing: