More than 10 hours in 24?

Can I drive for 9 hours, say 11 hours with breaks, then take a 9 hour reduced daily rest which takes me up to 20 hours total, and then drive a further 4 hours making 24 with 13 hours driving.

Please forgive me if it’s a stupid question, but in asking around, I’m not getting a consistent answer.

Thanks in advance…

No.

Autoporto:
Can I drive for 9 hours, say 11 hours with breaks, then take a 9 hour reduced daily rest which takes me up to 20 hours total, and then drive a further 4 hours making 24 with 13 hours driving.

Please forgive me if it’s a stupid question, but in asking around, I’m not getting a consistent answer.

Thanks in advance…

Yes to a point. Let me explain.
For instance,
Start time 06.00
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 60 mins
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 60 mins
Drive 1.00 hour
Finish time 17.00
Total 9 hours driving, 2 hours break (duty time 11 hours)
9 hours daily rest
Start time 02.00
Drive 4.00 hours
Total 24 hour period but you can now carry on and do this
Break 45 mins
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 45 mins
Drive 2.00 hours
Finish time 13.30
Total 10 hours driving, 1 1/2 hours break (duty time 11 1/2 hours)
11 hours daily rest
Start time 00.30
Each 24 hour period theoretically doesn’t have to be fully completed just as long as you have your relevant daily rest period.
You can work 15 over 9 or 13 over 11 which all add up to 24 hours but you can work 10 over 11 which is 21 hours but then start a fresh 24 hour period after your daily rest. It’s regardless of what you work on a daily basis as long as it doesn’t go over the max of 13 (15, 3x a week extentions) just as long as your daily rest periods are in order and are not reduced more than 3 times a week.
Hope that helps.
Please feel free to pull apart anything I’ve said, I’ve got thick skin lol

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Thanks for that Lizard - much appreciated. So to clarify in my mind, the 10 hour max extended driving time, or in fact the 9 hour normal driving limit, will only apply between daily rest periods and not in the 24 hours from the start of the shift?

lizard:
Start time 06.00
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 60 mins
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 60 mins
Drive 1.00 hour
Finish time 17.00
9 hours daily rest
Start time 02.00
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 45 mins
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 45 mins
Drive 2.00 hours
Finish time 13.30
11 hours daily rest
Start time 00.30
Each 24 hour period theoretically doesn’t have to be fully completed just as long as you have your relevant daily rest period.
You can work 15 over 9 or 13 over 11 which all add up to 24 hours but you can work 10 over 11 which is 21 hours but then start a fresh 24 hour period after your daily rest. It’s regardless of what you work on a daily basis as long as it doesn’t go over the max of 13 (15, 3x a week extentions) just as long as your daily rest periods are in order and are not reduced more than 3 times a week.
Hope that helps.

I think this should be printed on the front of every HGV Licence Application form. That way people would have an indication of the way of life they could well be signing up for. :open_mouth:
Or to put it another way…And on how much an hour■■?..Stuff that for a living!

Excellent!!

Im struggling to think of any other form of “normal” employment where it would be absolutely acceptable AND LEGAL to work that shift pattern and those hours!

On EU regulations a daily rest period resets the daily driving time to zero.

On UK domestic regulations you can drive 10 hours in 24 hours.

xichrisxi:
No.

How did you come to that answer the daily rest re-sets the drive time.

xichrisxi:
No.

Why do you think that :question:

ROG:

xichrisxi:
No.

Why do you think that :question:

Because I never reduce a daily rest :smiley:…11hrs minimum every time.

Yes you can. Done it many times without an infringement.

Autoporto:
Thanks for that Lizard - much appreciated. So to clarify in my mind, the 10 hour max extended driving time, or in fact the 9 hour normal driving limit, will only apply between daily rest periods and not in the 24 hours from the start of the shift?

Yes that is correct. Always remember to take note of your reduced breaks so as not to go over the 3 your allowed.
Just for a scenario
You do a 12 hour working day you are best to get an 11 hour daily rest in, but you can reduce that break to 9 hours if you wish , but in doing so you will have used up 1 of of your extended 15 hours by reducing the daily rest.
But on the other hand, say you do a 14 hour working day you will have to have a 9 hour reduced break as you’ve gone over your 13 hour working day. Now you could have longer than a 9 hour break but it will still only count as a 9.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

bullitt:

lizard:
Start time 06.00
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 60 mins
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 60 mins
Drive 1.00 hour
Finish time 17.00
9 hours daily rest
Start time 02.00
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 45 mins
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 45 mins
Drive 2.00 hours
Finish time 13.30
11 hours daily rest
Start time 00.30
Hope that helps.

I think this should be printed on the front of every HGV Licence Application form. That way people would have an indication of the way of life they could well be signing up for. :open_mouth:
Or to put it another way…And on how much an hour■■?..Stuff that for a living!

Hope my explanation was clear enough, it’s how I’ve always worked it out in me head and it’s never got me into trouble. I do agree with exactly what your saying but unfortunately we all do this but I’ve just got to say 1 thing on your point about hourly pay. Don’t work on hourly, try and get a salary wage job. It’s worked for me for the last 14 years and I love it. The problem with hourly is that you’ve got to max your hours to get the money in but on salary it’s job and knock.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

That’s perfectly clear now - thanks for taking the time to explain. We do a run to Antwerp and back with a 9 hour break after loading there. If the ferries are working well we go over 10 hours driving in 24. We can rest for longer in fairness, so that we do less than 10 in 24, but when you’re in the wide awake club you just want to get going.

lizard:
Start time 06.00
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 60 mins
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 60 mins
Drive 1.00 hour
Finish time 17.00
9 hours daily rest
Start time 02.00
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 45 mins
Drive 4.00 hours
Break 45 mins
Drive 2.00 hours
Finish time 13.30
11 hours daily rest
Start time 00.30

These are known as…

‘Heading for the boat with four weeks worth of dirty laundry, no money and no food’ hours.

actually there were no hours rules at all in those situations