More Macks, years ago in Australia and NYC

I’ve been looking through this amazing site since I discovered it a couple of weeks ago following a recomendation from a friend, and as a modeller I have to say that it’s the best site for reference photographs I’ve seen. One of my favourite trucks of all time is the Mack, and the photographs in this thread, especially the NYC mixer are superb. Sheeter, I hope you’re still a member here and if you are, do you have any more Mack pictures? … please.

Nick.

During three periods of working in Australia, between 1968 and '76, I came across more Macks, amongst other makes, here are a couple of them. Far too many photographs I had taken over the years got lost or damaged, here are three more that survived.

In September 1973 I photographed this Mack that never went far from it’s base which was the copper mine where I worked, outside Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory. It carried ore in the rear end tipping trailer, rather than the side tipping trailers that were coupled up in a train configuration and also operated by this company. On the cab roof is the air-conditioning that was essential when summer temperatures can peak at 120 degrees F. To the right is the headframe above a 2,220 ft. deep shaft.

By December 1975 I found myself working for an iron ore mining company that was about 150 miles inland from the coast of North West Australia. This Mack was the works truck and seldom ventured far from the mine, probably because there was nowhere else to go. Literally, millions of tons of iron ore were hauled to the coastal processing plant by the Company’s own railroad, while personnel were flown in and out by light aircraft.
In this shot the Mack and it’s trailer are dwarfed by one of the smaller (75 ton) dump trucks that had come into the workshop yard. They and the 120 tonners were powered by V16 diesels, blown by 4 turbos.

Returning to the UK from Australia in 1969 via the US, meant that I left from the East Coast, having dis-embarked from a ship in Los Angeles a month previously, and on the last day in America, in New York City, I heard this old Mack before seeing it.
It was a 6 wheel ready-mix truck that had seen better days. It looks like the driver’s left arm is on the huge steering wheel while the other was on the gear levers. Note the auxiliary mirror perched on the front corner pole.

Good Pic’s Sheeter :smiley: