More job losses

More than 300 jobs are to go across Yorkshire after bakery firm Cooplands went into administration.

The Doncaster-based firm, founded in 1932, had 80 stores, 26 mobile sandwich vans and 562 employees.

Administrators Deloitte said the business had made unsustainable losses, due to high manufacturing costs and falling trade.

Part of the business has been sold to restructuring firm ReSolve, securing 259 jobs.

Adrian Berry, joint administrator, said: "Regrettably, we have had to close 39 retail stores, together with the bakery and head office in Doncaster.

“However, there is some positive news today with the sale of 41 retail stores and the entire mobile sandwich van business.”

Shane Sweeting, from the union Unite, which represents about 10% of the workforce, said the firm had been a major employer.

“These are jobs that are hardly likely to be replaced. They are a long-standing employees, they have been there a lot of years and they will really struggle to find employment elsewhere.”

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so … e-31155117

So the recovery is on then? I know it’s pessimistic but the only recovery is in the Capital and its environs. I think we’ll see a lot more of this after the election and the excuses will start and the previous government left us this mess blah blah blah!

This is one really important vote to get right I think!

So 26 van drivers are out of work? Not much after citylink over Xmas.

mrginge:
So 26 van drivers are out of work? Not much after citylink over Xmas.

It is if youre one of the 26!!

fredthered:
So the recovery is on then? I know it’s pessimistic but the only recovery is in the Capital and its environs. I think we’ll see a lot more of this after the election and the excuses will start and the previous government left us this mess blah blah blah!

This is one really important vote to get right I think!

Same old South East paved with gold while the North ‘suffers’ bs.The fact is wages are lower here in real terms especially when housing costs are factored in.While at the same time we’ve got a larger population chasing less jobs having long ago lost what relatively less industry we did have here compared to the north anyway.Those problems being added to by all those in the rest of the country who believe all the bs moving here and adding to those conflicting issues.

There can be no recovery anywhere since Heath and Callaghan threw the country down the tubes of an ideology based on ‘wage restraint’ and exporting jobs and importing labour.To maintain a corrupted form of ‘capitalism’ which is all about keeping wage levels as low as possible.While also making sure that the Germans stay at the top of the zb pile. :unamused:

Local shop…(Whitby) re-opened on Monday…just been fully refurbished… :open_mouth:

Tasty pasties, memories of driving up North

There are (were) 2 Cooplands, this one in Doncaster and the other one based in Scarborough. I read somewhere else that the 26 sandwich driver vans jobs had been saved as that part has been sold off to someone else.

Just been to scarborough this aft, both the coopland shops in town we’re open and advertising for staff… :wink: