More d4 woes. (copied)

I cut this in a CF/ stylee, and pasted it below…
Drivers with grandfather rights are excluded from the DVLA’s relaxation of the D4 medical requirement during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Drivers who obtained their car licence prior to 1997 are also entitled to drive goods vehicles from 3,501kg to 7,500kg GVW, as well as towing trailers with a GCW over 3.5-tonnes.

However, the DVLA has confirmed it has no plans to ensure these drivers are also temporarily exempt from driver medicals.

The Department for Transport announced last month that it was relaxing the medical requirement for professional drivers , enabling them to acquire a temporary licence if it expires this year, or has expired since 1 January.

Thousands of HGV drivers had feared they would lose their driving entitlements due to GPs and private providers no longer carrying out the medical.

But by not extending the temporary relaxation to drivers with grandfather rights it means this category of driver will still need to obtain the D4 medical, a process made difficult by the absence of examinations currently being carried out.

The DVLA’s decision means it likely they will be unable to renew their licences until D4 medical exams are restored after lockdown rules are eased.

My grandfather rights runs until I’m 70. No medical required as far as I was aware.

Noremac:
My grandfather rights runs until I’m 70. No medical required as far as I was aware.

For what category licence may I ask?

So I past my test b4 1997, does that mean I can’t drive 3.5–7.5tonne, but can still drive class1, or I can’t drive any Large goods Vehicle… Until a fresh D4 is obtained…

Also does that mean if you passed your test pre-97 you now need a medical to drive 3.5-7.5 tonne.

biggriffin:
So I past my test b4 1997, does that mean I can’t drive 3.5–7.5tonne, but can still drive class1, or I can’t drive any Large goods Vehicle… Until a fresh D4 is obtained…

Also does that mean if you passed your test pre-97 you now need a medical to drive 3.5-7.5 tonne.

Only if there is an “R” in the month.

the maoster:

Noremac:

Exactly as the article says. My 7.5 tonne acquired rights, which still persists if I don’t renew LGV. It has always had an expiry that is in line with my 70th birthday. That is why I don’t really understand the article. As far as I am aware at 70, renewing follows the same process as renewing a car licence.

Noremac:

the maoster:

Noremac:

Exactly as the article says. My 7.5 tonne acquired rights, which still persists if I don’t renew LGV. It has always had an expiry that is in line with my 70th birthday. That is why I don’t really understand the article. As far as I am aware at 70, renewing follows the same process as renewing a car licence.

At 70 if you want to retain your 7.5 tonne rights you have to start having medicals, or you revert to car licence up to 3.5 tonnes. I let mine go as I have no intention of driving anything over 3.5 again, but a couple of mates have had to keep it up to drive their motorhomes.
Bernard

albion1938:
At 70 if you want to retain your 7.5 tonne rights you have to start having medicals, or you revert to car licence up to 3.5 tonnes. I let mine go as I have no intention of driving anything over 3.5 again, but a couple of mates have had to keep it up to drive their motorhomes.
Bernard

Thanks albion1938, I didn’t know they start distinguishing between categories.

Before my old boy died he had to renew his license at70. To use a landy. And stock trailer funny thing though they gave him his class one back twenty yrs+ after angina took it away never did get a straight answer from him if he used it …,.all I got the Fh Volvo was a fair oil. orse

i passed my car test in 84 and ive just renewed my CE for 12 months without sending the D4 form in?

albion1938:
At 70 if you want to retain your 7.5 tonne rights you have to start having medicals, or you revert to car licence up to 3.5 tonnes.

This^^^

My partner also received a letter from DVLA to that effect, so she chose not to bother with the medical because she can now avoid driving a 7.5t horsebox when asked. :smiley: