More changes to the Highway Code

Has April 1st been extended to cover the whole month? I can’t be the only one wondering about the numpties in the policy making department of DfT.

A self-driving car with a driver allowed to be watching TV, who is then supposed to instantly take control of the vehicle in a emergency?

Users of self-driving vehicles won’t be responsible for any accidents, the insurance companies will be? That should all work out fine then… :unamused:

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61155735

How else do you propose that it will work? Self driving cars, if the responsibility isn’t removed from the drivers then what’s the point?

stu675:
How else do you propose that it will work? Self driving cars, if the responsibility isn’t removed from the drivers then what’s the point?

The way the use of self driving cars has always been described as the vehicle will do the work but the driver should be in a position to respond if the technology fails or in the event of an emergency.
Think of it in a similar way to cruise control. Say you’re driving down the motorway at a steady speed so you stick the CC on, the vehicle in front brakes suddenly and even with adaptive CC you will still possibly have to brake yourself to avoid hitting them. For self driving vehicles effectively the same applies to steering as well

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Terry Cooksey:

stu675:

The way the use of self driving cars has always been described as the vehicle will do the work but the driver should be in a position to respond if the technology fails or in the event of an emergency.
Think of it in a similar way to cruise control. Say you’re driving down the motorway at a steady speed so you stick the CC on, the vehicle in front brakes suddenly and even with adaptive CC you will still possibly have to brake yourself to avoid hitting them. For self driving vehicles effectively the same applies to steering as well

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That’s going to be a bit hard, if you’re engrossed in Home and Away. At least if you are talking on the phone, you can also watch what’s happening around you.

stu675:

so if it’s self driving you’re not really a driver then, more like a passenger :unamused:

Zac_A:
Users of self-driving vehicles won’t be responsible for any accidents, the insurance companies will be? That should all work out fine then… :unamused:

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61155735

I can’t wait to see what the insurance premium will be then!

It’s the BBC, i’d be more inclined to trust an article in the Beano to be correct.

Hope this ‘news’ doesn’t start the usual panic from some that we’ll be made redundant by self driving trucks by this time next year.

Juddian:
It’s the BBC, i’d be more inclined to trust an article in the Beano to be correct.

All the media tend to dramatize things, but…
gov.uk/government/news/brit … revolution

stu675:

Yeah exactly if You’re not driving it can’t be your fault can it? Makes sense to me.

Also you realise there’s a difference between self-driving and driverless?

I’m inclined to think recent changes to the highway code are by committee’s of people who work from home, meet by zoom, don’t own cars, cycle to the shops and think stuff appears on shelfs thanks to the logistics pixies.