More bulker advise please

Good Morning chaps, and thank you very much for your replies to my previous question, here’s another one for you …

…Coupled up to a tipping bulker
…Try to push the hydraulic coupling on (instantaneous type, pull the sleeve back and push the pipe onto the ram coupling)
…No way in the world can you push it on, due to the pressure in the ram pushing against the rear of the ■■■■■■

I’ve had this a couple of times lately, on the first occasion a lad where I was tipping came out with a huge spanner and loosened the entire connection until a load of oil spewed out, on the second occasion two of us managed to cover ourselves in oil (uniform now in bin!) by using a piece of wood levered against the ■■■■■■ … is there an easier way ■■?

(I have heard that if you wind the trailer legs down, then drop the air out of the rear of the unit that would work, but tried it and it didn’t)

Thanks in advance for any advice :slight_smile:

next time it’s empty and before you drop it tip the trailer fully up then lower it until it is 12 inches off the chassis, at top of ram is a bleed screw (either spanner or hex key fitting) unsrew this till air starts coming out, once all the air is out and oil is coming retighting the bleed screw.
also when roading run with the tipping handle in the down position as this will ensure that there is as littlte resistance in the pipes for when you connect up

scotstrucker:
next time it’s empty and before you drop it tip the trailer fully up then lower it until it is 12 inches off the chassis, at top of ram is a bleed screw (either spanner or hex key fitting) unsrew this till air starts coming out, once all the air is out and oil is coming retighting the bleed screw.
also when roading run with the tipping handle in the down position as this will ensure that there is as littlte resistance in the pipes for when you connect up

I concur…

Thanks for the great advice fellas.

First bit probably wont apply to me as our firm have best part of 60 bulkers, so I rarely have the same bulker, but appreciate the handle tip.

If the tipper control is down, just move it to the neutral bit (middle position) or if it’s allready in that one just move it to the down position. Simples

terratology:
If the tipper control is down, just move it to the neutral bit (middle position) or if it’s allready in that one just move it to the down position. Simples

Just to make that clear in my (slightly thick and ageing) head, what does that do to help?
Cheers.

espresso:

terratology:

Just to make that clear in my (slightly thick and ageing) head, what does that do to help?
Cheers.

Placebo :grimacing:

I think the idea is to relieve the pressure in the line.

Cheers, I’ll give it a try next time I get stuck . . . .

(better than the oil bath I got last week levering a dod of wood against the ■■■■■■) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

espresso:

terratology:

Cheers.

Leaving the lever in the down position keeps the return open in the valve on the tank .

espresso:

(better than the oil bath I got last week levering a dod of wood against the ■■■■■■) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If u dont want an oil bath then get rid of them push on fittings and fit screw on ones, much easier and cleaner when dealing with rams that still have pressure in them. Screw it up till you cant pysically then get out hammer and hit away at the ears till the fitting moves no more, no mess just noise

scotstrucker:

espresso:

If u dont want an oil bath then get rid of them push on fittings and fit screw on ones, much easier and cleaner when dealing with rams that still have pressure in them. Screw it up till you cant pysically then get out hammer and hit away at the ears till the fitting moves no more, no mess just noise

We had the screw on type on walking floors and they’re very easy, but if he did that he’d have to change all the trailers too…

waynedl:

scotstrucker:

espresso:

We had the screw on type on walking floors and they’re very easy, but if he did that he’d have to change all the trailers too…

Them push on fittings are a pain in ■■■ wayne, the amount i,v seen blow off in the middle of tipping and blow the pipe is in double figures.

scotstrucker:

waynedl:

scotstrucker:

espresso:

Them push on fittings are a pain in ■■■ wayne, the amount i,v seen blow off in the middle of tipping and blow the pipe is in double figures.

Is it possible to get push on to screw on adapters?
Put them on then use the screw to connect, no pressure then?

I used to put a rag over the ■■■■■■ on the tipper and hit the ■■■■■■ with a rubber mallet to release the pressure in the hydraulics , it only ever happened in summer

waynedl:

scotstrucker:

waynedl:

scotstrucker:

espresso:

It the push on he having problems with so it wouldnt help him but yes you make up push on or screw on adapters for either combination.
Op, when you go to tip the trailer up does it start to lift as soon as you put the handle in the raise position? Or does it delay then go? And when you lower it does it come down quick or slow or smooth or bouncy?

scotstrucker:

waynedl:

scotstrucker:

waynedl:

scotstrucker:

espresso:

It the push on he having problems with so it wouldnt help him but yes you make up push on or screw on adapters for either combination.
Op, when you go to tip the trailer up does it start to lift as soon as you put the handle in the raise position? Or does it delay then go? And when you lower it does it come down quick or slow or smooth or bouncy?

The pressure would be on the unit end, so that push - screw adapter stays on permanent.
You then put a push - screw adapter on the trailer (since it’s not connected to the unit, no pressure see…)
You then screw the 2 together - pressure but using screw style means not hard work.

:wink: