Monthly data use tramping

Good morning everyone! The time has come for me to renew my phone contract and as I’m new to this trucking game I’m not sure how much data I’m likely to use over the course of a month tramping. I understand everyone is different but I’d just like to get a general idea of usage? I don’t really want to be paying for unlimited data if that isn’t generally needed. On the same hand, having to sign up with o2 for the next 24 months I don’t wanna sell myself short. I’ve had a offer of 75gb for £16 a month or the unlimited etc for something like £32. I get unlimited may be better for the additional cost but just trying to get a general idea of what u all use. Thanks in advance

I use my phone a lot but rarely watch films on it but some YouTube stuff. On average I use 20gb a month without watching films on Netflix or the like. The highest has been 30gb usage in a month.

Add in watching Netflix, prime etc and you can easily double that if not triple it.

I’ve always been unlimited data, last time my contract was up I went sim only for 20 quid a month and bought a new phone outright.

Depending how much you would use it you could potentially burn through 75gb in less than a month, especially if streaming and at high quality resolutions and tethering to other devices.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Maybe not an option if you’re tied into a contract. But when mine was up, I kept the phone and got a Smarty sim. £16 for unlimited everything, renewed each month so no tie-in

I doubt 75gb a month would be enough, for me it wouldn’t come close. Just get unlimited then you don’t need to worry about it. I pay £16/month unlimited everything with three

£16 for u limited sounds like a good deal to me mate! I did worry about changing networks because I just wasn’t sure how other networks perform… I’ve been with O2 for so long it feels like I’ve got Stockholm syndrome! Hah! I’ve seen some of these offers on giff gaff, Lebara, smarty etc and wasn’t sure how they stacked up… was playing the better the devil u know game.

The ting about these newcomers is they are on a rolling 1 month contract, so if it doesnt work out for you then switching is easy. I personally am on smarty, £10 per month, unlimited calls and texts, 60gb data. works for me.

That’s not a bad idea really, probally should take on one similar (60 gb ish) and see how I get on! Like you say if I can cancel it after a month, nothing ventured nothing gained. I guess it also comes down too whether these networks have good signal and availability countrywide. Any thoughts on best networks as I have in the past heard of drivers having two packages to make sure they have coverage.

Smarty is powered by the Three network

I’ve done a bit of hopping around over the past few years after being on Three for years and they’re all the same. They’ll all have areas they don’t work although it’ll be different between networks. Last one was Smarty that runs on Three and I switched to EE because they reckon they’re better but they’re also the most expensive. And EE works just the same as Smarty did which worked just the same as Three did which worked just the same as Tesco (uses O2) and then Vodafone before that.

Just go for the cheapest. Smarty is currently doing 60GB and unlimited calls/texts for £10 a month. And because it’s a rolling monthly contract you can always upgrade at any point if you find you need to. If you’re watching videos/youtube on a tablet or mobile you can downgrade the quality to 720p which will still look just fine but use a whole lot less data.

Trucker Jimbob:
£16 for u limited sounds like a good deal to me mate! I did worry about changing networks because I just wasn’t sure how other networks perform… I’ve been with O2 for so long it feels like I’ve got Stockholm syndrome! Hah! I’ve seen some of these offers on giff gaff, Lebara, smarty etc and wasn’t sure how they stacked up… was playing the better the devil u know game.

Smarty have (for me) been far better than O2. They’re cheaper for a start.

If I were you, I’d definitely go unlimited.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I always choose my sim based on this moneysavingexpert.com/mobil … contracts/
I’m on 12GB for £1.99
or there’s 100 for £15 with £49 cashback or unlimited is £16 with £40 cashback (both 12 mth deals on Three)

I you want watch video when driving that msy you need 75GB.But if only-2-3hour per day that 30GB enough.

unlimited everything from Three is £21 a month with 12 month contract

Three unlimited everything is £16 as pointed out above.

However via topcashback you get (£40-£60ish) cashback. I think last year I got £67 cashback which worked outs at about £11 per month.

Am due to renew next month, but might switch to vodaphone this year as it’s not that much more and I have had some issues with 3.

EDIT- just checked topcashback. It’s £80 cashback. £16 X 12 = £192 - £80 cashback is £112 over 12 months. Less than £10 per month everything unlimited.

I have a sim only contract 14 a month unlimited data. Have been with the same network 15 years