Montgommery transport

Can any one say what their like to work for and what money is like, nights out etc. Thanks in advance.

Just Finished from there. Good guys. Pays ok. If you’r agency, your most likely to get the"hired vehicles", they’re really bad. Alot of dock trips, Heysham, p & o Liverpool, Birkenhead etc
Are you applying direct or working through agency?

I meet a lot of Monty’s drivers at the ports and I have never heard them say a bad word about the company

As has been said…pay’s ok, work is easy (mainly port work, trailer swaps etc.) and decent trucks. I’d work there again but I don’t think the TM at Preston likes me :smiley:

woody2808:
As has been said…pay’s ok, work is easy (mainly port work, trailer swaps etc.) and decent trucks. I’d work there again but I don’t think the TM at Preston likes me :smiley:

What did you to cheese him off?

Direct employed by them with nights out. Thanks for the info.

now that montys has bourght Birds Transport does any one no if there still running tankers out of purfleet ?

Long hours, Planning done from Ireland. Most are good guys but a couple havn’t got a clue.

They don’t seem to understand that overtime is optional and regularly plan 13/15 hour days. Not so bad if tramping but a killer if on days.

If I got transferred from agency to Montys do I remain ltd? Or have to go PAYE. I’m ltd at the moment with an agency who’s put me on a temp to perm with these guys.

You’ll go onto PAYE. And earn a lot less than you are as a Ltd co

Semtex:
You’ll go onto PAYE. And earn a lot less than you are as a Ltd co

Its not the extra pound I’m concerned with, its claiming back the expenses. If anyone can clear this up, please pm me, as I don’t want to hijack this thread.
Back on track then…
Montgomery s worst vehicle in Thier yard is the one with the reg starting with pn08, white, hired btw, never drove a vehicle that was in soo bad shape. Op do you know which one I’m on about?
Also a question for the Montgomery drivers, why don’t you guys take the cairnryan run? Good money in it for you?

Have seen them driving to Germany a quite lots recents & any more info on European work?

I worked there 15 years ago and the transport was split between the Irish and European side. I was out based at newhaven and worked on the euro side. It was an unaccompanied trailers operation tipping and loading in the UK working from most of the southern ports.

IIRC they did used to have a couple of low ride tractors based in Calais that used to solely run the mega trailers to Michelin at clermont-Ferand but it was mainly a traction job over the water done by French hauliers.

One exception which I think was inherited when East-West were bought was the Gallaghers tobacco work. I used to see them in Spain quite regularly on that.

I haven’t seen anybody I know who is still on their for a good while but I’ve noticed they are rarely, if at all, using newhaven these days.

I would still say that even 15 years on it was one of the easiest, most laid back jobs I’ve ever had in transport.

Cheers
Neilf

Betz:
Have seen them driving to Germany a quite lots recents & any more info on European work?

I know that Birds took on the time sensitive/round trip automotive work out of Telford to Southern Germany (Mainly Heilbron and Munchen whith the occasional foray into Czech) after the Murfitts collapse( the rest stayed with Norfolk line)- if they still have it its a lucrative bit of work for Montgomeries ( and a great job for the driver)

neilf:
I worked there 15 years ago and the transport was split between the Irish and European side. I was out based at newhaven and worked on the euro side. It was an unaccompanied trailers operation tipping and loading in the UK working from most of the southern ports.

IIRC they did used to have a couple of low ride tractors based in Calais that used to solely run the mega trailers to Michelin at clermont-Ferand but it was mainly a traction job over the water done by French hauliers.

One exception which I think was inherited when East-West were bought was the Gallaghers tobacco work. I used to see them in Spain quite regularly on that.

I haven’t seen anybody I know who is still on their for a good while but I’ve noticed they are rarely, if at all, using newhaven these days.

I would still say that even 15 years on it was one of the easiest, most laid back jobs I’ve ever had in transport.

Cheers
Neilf

East-West! There’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Great fun with those guys when I was with a firm that starts with v and ends with n from NL. A full card every time :smiley: